Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went in to work this morning, and had to have my temperature checked. Temp read 90.4 F. They wrote it down without comment, and I said “That can’t be right. Check it again.” 90.3 that time, so I walked off mumbling incoherently at the stupidity of people. Then the thought hit me to walk to a second entrance to have my temp checked. When I arrived at the second entrance, they checked my temp and got 90.1F. So, I have concluded that I must have died about 1:30-2:00 this morning, and nobody told me.

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
What's your temp usually? I run a couple degrees below the so-called "normal" 98.6; if they take my temp and say I'm anything over 98 I tell them I have a fever.

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
You should have your temperature taken from your rear end. That would be far more accurate. :D

Reactions: Merle

·
Premium Member
8,078 Posts
I run 97.4 usually, if I get sick I often drop to 95.8 or so instead of a fever...

·
Premium Member
35,661 Posts
That's those stupid cheap point and shoot IR thermometers. They are always about 5-10 degrees low because...they're reading skin temp.

It's like they didn't bother putting in the offset for human skin vs internal temps.

·
Premium Member
9,189 Posts
my temp is normally somewhere around 96.4. The IR thermometers read surface temperature. come in from a cold day and you will read low. Come in and take off your cap and more often than not you will set the thing off.

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Yep. Just another ineffectual virtue signaling bit of BS.
Actually, no. It was just more simple to use instant read thermometers with a chart of what skin temps should read instead of waiting for and constantly disinfecting traditional thermometers. They're only looking for a temperature over 100° to indicate a fever. That can be achieved at the forehead, temple, or wrist. General purpose IR thermometers are only low by 2°, on average. Medical grade ones calibrated for skin reads don't flag until the target reaches 100.4° or higher...

What makes them ineffective are the humans holding them.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
constantly disinfecting traditional thermometers.
They don't do that. If they need to use an oral, it's yours to keep. I have three brand new ones now.

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts

·
Premium Member
35,661 Posts
Actually, no. It was just more simple to use instant read thermometers with a chart of what skin temps should read instead of waiting for and constantly disinfecting traditional thermometers. They're only looking for a temperature over 100° to indicate a fever. That can be achieved at the forehead, temple, or wrist. General purpose IR thermometers are only low by 2°, on average. Medical grade ones calibrated for skin reads don't flag until the target reaches 100.4° or higher...

What makes them ineffective are the humans holding them.
And.....my point still stands.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
And.....my point still stands.
Not really. It's actually an effective technique. The practice is sound and proven. We've been doing it on ambulances for years. You just don't agree with it, so it must be wrong.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts