Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know if I should get a Ruger sp101 or a Hi-Point 995 and a Heritage Rough Rider .22. I want the Ruger because I would be able to carry snake shot while hunting, but if I get the 995 I could use that for coyote and a .22 revolver is a lot cheaper to feed than a .357. Plus it would just be cool to have a cowboy gun.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The Ruger is a nice gun, no doubt. I own a 995, and just last weekend bought a Rough Rider .22. The RR is quite accurate, very cheap to feed, and just plain fun. As a plus, the RR comes with a .22 magnum cylinder as well. And, they do make snake shot rounds in both .22LR and .22Mag so you'd be covered there.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does .22 shot work ok on snakes?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do they make 9mm snake shot :brow:

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
Do they make 9mm snake shot :brow:
CCI makes shot shells for many handgun cartidges including the 9mm. As for the 22 shot shells, they will kill a snake and do a fine job of it (we have property in Texas and plenty of snakes).

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
:cantlook: Oh this is hard!!!!

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
If I read this right, your stress lies in whether to buy one gun or, two for the price of one? I'd chose two and day of the week and twice on Sunday!

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I always say go for the rifle first if the 995 is what you can afford get it. But I recommend the HP 45ACP over the C9, better pistol IMHO and theres no doubt about it being enough.
Single action revolvers while fun just seem over priced. Dont know why.

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
If I read this right, your stress lies in whether to buy one gun or, two for the price of one? I'd chose two and day of the week and twice on Sunday!
Remind me to never go gun shopping with you on a Sunday :tongue2:

·
Village Amadan
591 Posts
Remind me to never go gun shopping with you on a Sunday :tongue2:
My wife said I can't go shopping on Sunday's any more either! What's up with that?!? :'(

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Mr_Mac is right on about CCI's shotshells... they even make them in .22 Magnum, so I say go with the 995 + Rough Rider. More is better, especially when one is a Hi-Point!

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I always say go for the rifle first if the 995 is what you can afford get it. But I recommend the HP 45ACP over the C9, better pistol IMHO and theres no doubt about it being enough.
Single action revolvers while fun just seem over priced. Dont know why.
I already have two plastic, super guns so a Hi-Point pistol isn't even on the horizon. Right now I need a revolver to carry when I am backpacking and hunting in the desert to take out snakes, coyote, and two-legged varmints. Because of how close my hunting grounds are to Mexico, less than a mile, I am pretty likely to come across one of them two-legged ones running drugs up from Mexico. That is why I wanted a .357 but to be honest any rifle I am carrying would be my first line of defense any way.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
One thing to consider is that a 9mm round (assuming decent ammo) approaches the fps of a .357 from a pistol with a longer effective range of about 150 yds and is much cheaper to feed. Im still looking for a 45ACP carbine that wont break the bank myself it just makes too much sense, the old Marlin Camper was a great idea too bad they got a case of stupid. But I digress.

The more I learn about carbines the more I like them. I picked up a Browning Buckmark 22LR pistol and am in love with the thing so I fully understand the value of that caliber and snake shot is just so effective on small critters.

If you are that close to the border be careful out there cowboy things are getting weird. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
How do they shoot?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
All semi-auto rifles were on the list last I heard but since its not been introduced cant say. The old ban they were OK as was Saiga. Saiga is on the new list by name last I heard.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts