Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today I was over at my neighbores house to buy an old computer and I noticed a box of shotgun shells setting on the table, so for the sake of conversation I asked him if he shoots guns, and well he goes on to tell me that he's cleet certified(Council on Law Enforcement Education and Training) and that basicly he's qualified to be a police officer, so we continue to discuss guns and I bring up my hi-point and he gives me the ole "be carefull with hi-points" and how he watched one explode in someones hands once, and then I mention my plans to get a permit for consealed weapons and how I may get a bersa thunder 380 for carry,
so this is when he tells me that its not legal to carry any bersas, hi-points, jennings, etc because they aren't "range safe" and I cant even use my hi-point to qualify for the permit, so thiss consurns me big time because I am not a rich man and I realy dont have cash to go out and buy an xd or some other exspenive gun that he sugjested, now I do live in the great state of Oklahoma and the laws may be different here, and he may have been fullashat. Of course I will get more information from a more credible source, but any information from any other Oklahoma guys would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think that is the biggest load of crap I ever heard anyone spew. I am not basing this on fact, but range safe? If OK requires a compatency test AND the firearm FTL's an accessive amount of times (Enough to fail the test) that it could be a problem, but other then that it sounds rediculas.

I will read the OK laws though. I could be wrong. I am several times a day.

Leroy

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ok... I just read this... :mad:

http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2007_2_.pdf

In Title 21 1290.13 - Paragraph A - It states The applicant must further demonstrate competence and
qualification with an authorized pistol of the type or types that the applicant desires to carry as a concealed handgun pursuant to the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act" -

What the hell does Authorized Pistol mean?

And this next part is even worse, and probably what you neighbor was talking about... Man... this is BAD STUFF!!

Quote from Title 21 1290.13 - Paragraph E

"The firearms instructor shall refuse to train or qualify any person when the pistol to be used or
carried by the person is either deemed unsafe or unfit for firing or is a weapon not authorized by the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act."

My assumption as I cannot find any different is the Ok Self Defense Act authorizes the following...

"The course shall provide an opportunity for the applicant to qualify himself or herself on either a derringer, a revolver, a semiautomatic pistol or any combination of a derringer, a revolver and a semiautomatic pistol, provided no pistol shall be capable of firing larger than .45 caliber ammunition."

So, it sounds like the instructor has the right to deem unsafe any gun HE or SHE does not like.

Wow.... Glad I live in Maine!! No offense Okies.

Leroy

·
Registered
146 Posts
My wife and I just took our ccl class here in Ardmore OK. We both made 100% on the written, and passed with flying colors on the shooting course. My wife used her new c9, and I used my JCP40. Not only was our instructor a cleet certified Sheriff's Deputy, he is the Carter County Sheriff's senior firearms trainer. He didn't blink when we showed up with our HP's. Your guy just has a prejudice against HP's.

·
Registered
137 Posts
That is terrible. I cannot believe that the state would let someone get away with that. If they do, he may be all talk too.

Leroy

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the input guys, when the time is right im going to try to contact whoever it is that instructs the class so im sure for my self, I would realy like to be able to carry my c9 or maybe a bersa one of these days soon.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I also think the burden of proof is on the instructor to be able to prove your weapon is "unsafe".

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I also think the burden of proof is on the instructor to be able to prove your weapon is "unsafe".
I dont think so, apperantly if he thinks its unsafe then i cant use it, im pretty sure the decision is up to him

·
Gun Fanatic
830 Posts
Hi-Points are popular here in Lawton OK and I can already tell you that I knew atleast on person carrying a HP 380.

It's bovine feces...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts