Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm really in a quandry here. I'm in a band that I'm kind of bored with these days. And I've grown pretty tired of playing music when I'm all stressed out with the state things are in. I don't want to practice any more, all I feel like doing with my free time is working out and trying to scrape together cash for supplies and such. I've gout about $2500 invested in my upright bass and associated equipment. I'm thinking the time is right to liquidate it before everyone realizes how bad things are getting. Am I off base here? Am I blowing things out of proportion? All I know is I've got a lot of money invested in this stuff and when things get bad I can't eat or trade any of it.

Another problem is over the course of playing in the band the front man and my sister have started dating, thats another story, but it's gonna put a real cramp in things around my house. Plus my sister does show bookings and she has a major show coming up in about 2 months that we are supposed to play and it's gonna make it difficult for her to set up.

I could use some advice.

·
Registered
586 Posts
is being in the band making you more money than selling the bass would net you?

·
Registered
928 Posts
No money no enjoyment out of it; I'd quit! Maybe do that last show if you want to help out your sister, but I'd let them know after that I"m done.

·
Registered
313 Posts
If I had a hobby I was no longer into I would surely dump what I had to pursue new interests.

Though it seems like you are asking if you should dump your hobby to prepare for SHTF.

Personally I feel dumping a hobby for shtf is silly. btw..I call it a hobby because you said it does not make you any money..anything you enjoy or enjoyed that does not make you money is imo a hobby.

Now considering you are on a hipoint forum ..preparing for shtf is much more realistic cost wise and can could be afforded for the most part with even the meekest of paychecks.

I guess it all comes down to how far you want to take bring prepared though, as in what will let you sleep at night. Musical instruments do have some use though in a shtf scenario as an outlet to what is causing the shtf scenario. You have a few scared people with you at night and you start jamming some blues tunes...you can put back some normalcy into an otherwise un-normal situation.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
If the passion is gone, move on.

BUT....

If you still enjoy it, even a little.....DEAR GOD don't let the sheeple mentality of "Oh, everything is going to crash it's the end times!!!" end up dictating every aspect of your life. You can be prepared for the worst, but after the worst happens.... what are you going to do from that point after? Bad things happen, and it is always good to be prepared. But, to delete an element from your life that defines your character just for a few grand of security "Just in case", to me, is a detremental movement.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Some decisions are one-way. By that I mean, once you act there's no going back. Do you think you may, at some future date, have remorse about selling your equipment? It's a significant investment and you probably will not have the passion to spend the money in the future to replace it *but* you may, in the future, wish you had it for other reasons. There are hobbies I have had, taken long breaks from, and come back t again.

Money can be a strong motivator, but can sometimes lead to rash decision making. If you really feel ready to move on *and not look back*, sell it.

I should ad, the fact you are even bringing this up makes me think you have some hesitation about making the jump and selling otherwise you would have just done it...

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
The way I have always lived my life is by this motto: "Hang on to what you have now, you never know when you'll need it in the future."

This goes for guns, guitars, tools and just about everything else in between. I personally don't think you've lost your passion for music, you've just become jaded with your current situation. That is not a good place to be in, but it's a place where you can re-evaluate where you are and what direction you want to go.

When you start asking yourself questions, that's a good place to be because when you get serious, the truth may suprise you.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
I wouldnt sell it. wrap it up and park it in the closet for a year or two. i find giving things a hiatus for some time brings back the fun. i did sound work for a band for a short time and got burned out really quick. if its no fun anymore it aint worth doing.

SW

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have played guitar for 50 years and I would never dream of getting rid of all my gear. Maybe some of it, but not the acustic my wife bought me, or the bass, and at least one amp.

An upright is one BIG chunk of expense. Ever consider selling it and buying a cheap electric bass and amp? You would still have $2000 to burn and something to play.

You might find that in a SHTF situation someone playing an acustic guitar might be the only entertainment in town. You might suddenly have a skill that would be more valuable than another piece of crap you can barely carry.

Imagine, actually having a guitar in the guitar case!

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
The way I have always lived my life is by this motto: "Hang on to what you have now, you never know when you'll need it in the future."

This goes for guns, guitars, tools and just about everything else in between. I personally don't think you've lost your passion for music, you've just become jaded with your current situation. That is not a good place to be in, but it's a place where you can re-evaluate where you are and what direction you want to go.

When you start asking yourself questions, that's a good place to be because when you get serious, the truth may suprise you.
And who said you weren't good with words

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But, I've only been playing bass for about 7 months. So it's not like it's integral to my person.

I just am of the opinion that the chance to go all in and come out of the current crisis ahead is slowly passing. I firmly believe we are headed for the "Greatest Depression". I had a sobering conversation with a friend of the family while I was home for christmas. Her names Marie and she's 92. I just went to visit her and she started talking about politics, and the bailouts and everything that was going on. I asked her if she remembered the gold confiscation and other things. I told her that I thought in a 1 1/2 we might see conditions like the great depression. She corrected me and said that it would be sooner than that.

If I sell it now and spend the money on ammo, food, some propane and some silver I've got what I need should all of this come to pass. If I'm wrong, well, then I've got ammo I don't have to buy later on, canned/dried food that I can still eat, propane that I can use in the grill and silver that has maintained it's value. And since I have all this stuff that I bought at cheaper prices than it will be in the future I can use/sell what I have for a profit and buy new gear if I so choose when I feel the urge to play again.

Now!! If I'm right. And it all goes to shit. I've got ammo, food, fuel and silver (maybe a reloading station and a generator, who knows what else.). All things that will help get me and mine through the bad times (I've got friends and family that I feel responsible for). And while things are real shitty I can pick up gear from people who didn't have the forsight to sell their things while they could, for a song.

I see a window of opportunity here. And as I see it I come out either even or ahead by selling my gear and getting 90% of what i paid for it out of it while I can.

Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
All BS aside. I am a spiritual man, I'm also not a real young man so I have seen a little of what can happen. I understand needing advice, believe me. But two things come to mind. First from my spiritual self, God knows you ,your family and tomorrow better than any one you can name. I don't know where you are spiritually but I know God personally and i will tell you this, if you ask Him He will not fail to answer. But you must be sincere with Him. Second, no one on earth knows you or your band or your family better than you. I have seen a lot of good advice here but when the day is done we won't have to answer to you, your band or your family but you will. You need to make a decision and then stand behind it. Personally, I wouldn't make a move before I talked to my Father (God) first. Then it isn't easy but its simple follow what your heart tells you.

·
Registered
14 Posts
let them know your done but you'd hang in until they find a replacement and keep your stuff you'll most likely regret selling it all later or hang in there and write some music about whats troubling you most songs are about that

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sounds to me that you already want to sell it and just are trying to justify it. We can't tell you what to do, only you can decide that, but it really sounds like you want out. I would, if it were me.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.