Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys and Gals, I need some 9mm lead bullets...for FREE. I want to try reloading some for my 995. If you could spare some...I would be very HAPPY. If you do send some...please tell me the grain of the bullet. Thanks so much for helping out a guy. ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
tell you what i have done for years

i got a mold and a torch and a small melting pot and some flux

i collect batteries everytime i see a battery it is mine no questions asked lol

and also old used lead tire weights mmmm good stuff there

usually i drill holes in the bottom and let them set for about a month then i open the top and wash it out with regular water then i take my trusty lil dewalt skill saw and cut the battery all the way around near the top and then all that preccious lead just falls outt hahahahahha

i then take a plate and soak it in vinager for a few minutes to help neutralize any extra acid then i toss it in and go to making bullets

i have noticed certain batteries lead are a lil different almost like it has something else in it the ones that are the worst are the wal mart batteries

the best ones i have found are the interstate batteries lol

doesnt cost much and is simple as all get out hope i helped

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Be extremely leery of using car batteries as a lead source for boolits. The lead contained in them is very impure with a high percentage of lead oxide which is the most dangerous form of lead. There are also other contaminates that make it less than desirable as a casting alloy. Not saying it can't be done just that it is suboptimal. Also soaking plates in vinegar to neutralize acid will not work. It may dilute the acid but since vinegar is itself an acid it can't neutralize acid. A better solution to use would be baking soda or some other base.

I knew of a guy that just built a bonfire around a pile of old automotive batteries and lit her up. He'd go back later and retrieve the clumps of lead from the ashes. On a side note, nothing will probably grow on that spot of ground for the next century or two. :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
128 Posts
ive gone around to the scrap yards here to get some lead....some will sell it some wont.. they only give you .15 cents a pound for it so i offer them .25 cents a pound and they usually jump on it....ive gotten lead off ebay also paid about 40 dollars for about 55lbs...being a plumber i save any lead i get from the old lead joints i take out. after you clean it works good.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
Try plumbing supply stores. I worked at one during high school, and they litteraly had tons of it. It came in a row of 4 puck shaped disks that they called bisquits. If I remember right each bisquit was like 5lbs and about a buck a piece.

Tt

·
Registered
128 Posts
yeah plumbers lead has gotten expensive....had to order some for a job im working on...25 lbs of lead was 144 bucks.....glad that didnt come outa my pocket

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.