I never want to fly again.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lcback, May 11, 2015.

1. So my flight home from Amarillo was 6:00 this morning with a final destination of Pitt aroubd 4 PM

And of course storms have destroyed the flight schedules.

We sat in AMA from 6 until 2. When they let us fly to Dallas. I was excited I thought we would get to Dallas and get out.
    Holy sh*t was I wrong.
    We got there and got inline with about 3,000 other people. We stood inline from 4:30 PM until 11:20 with no direction water or places to sit without risking loosing your spot in line.
    So now we are checking into a hotel in dallas. and we are not able to leave until Teusday morning.
    If I would have just sacked up and drove I'd be home now. :-/

2. Wow! Have experienced your dilemma before and totally quit flying commercial since 911 for many of the same reasons ( a few more).

Sorry to hear about your lay over. Have a cocktail and make the best of it.

3. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    To hell with flying, anymore. Unless I am on business, I will drive before I fly. With all of the ridiculous procedures and bottlenecks, it takes a minimum of eight hours to get the same distance that you can drive within that time.

4. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

I've flown commercially twice (round trips) in the last thirty years (3 decades) and have forsworn flying ever again.

In 1982, while winging it towards California for training at Vandenberg AFB, our plane stalled and plummeted more than 10,000 feet over the Sierra Madres.

You knew it was bad with the Stewardesses hovering in the aisles clutching the tops of the aisle seats and fear written all over their faces!

The deck of cards I had been shuffling were fanning across the aisle towards my playing partner, his face in rigor, eyes bulging out of his eyes sockets!

The pilots recovered from the plunge and we resumed our flight. The captain came on and apologized for the 'elevator drop' and instructed that everyone remain seat-belted in until we landed.

Several folk had received head and neck injuries which were attended by two doctors onboard.

The second time, in 2005, while waiting to return to Texas from a business conference in Las Vegas, NV, the TSA had to deal with some idiot that jumped the metal detector gate and ran rampant throughout the area. It was about twenty hours later when we were allowed to board our planes and return home.

According to news reports, the TSA never caught the guy that caused the 'excitement'.

Now a days, I just plan two extra days on either side of my trips and drive.

If I have to go overseas, I guess I'll just have to do what TWA employees used to tell their passengers who complained about the high ticket costs, "Try Walking Across!"

eldar

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I hate flying. The waits are long, the seating is cramped, and it's more expensive than I think it should be. Might as well just put wings on a cattle car these days.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I would take Space-A (MAC) over commercial any day.

7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

I don't have too many issues flying, go to TSA show them my boarding pass, bypass the long line, throw pack on conveyor for x-ray, walk through metal detector and set it off. Show boarding pass to other TSA person. Grab pack and walk to gate to wait for wife. TSA Pre is nice if you have to fly.

8. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

The only reason that I fly is because I'm stuck in Alaska and driving to the Lower 48 would take about a week. 2.5 more years.....sounds like a prison sentence

9. I hate the Transportation Security Administration and their intrusive security. I feel like a criminal when I go into an airport now. I avoid flying at all costs because of them.

Just arm pilots with pistols in the cockpit and give them training.

10. TSA aren't the worst anymore
    I checked mt CCW and haven't had any problems. It's the airline using all these damn connection flights. And then when your flight gets delayed 15 minutes. You sit another 20 on the tarmac. You miss it.
    We could have been in pitt yesterday the last plane left st 4:00 we landed in dallas for it at 2:55 but there was "no gate" so we sat there for an hour and a half until we were unloaded f*cking unacceptable.

Anyway. Thanks to a close friend we are staying in a hotel in dallas again tonight flying out tomorow morning.

Now asking as the airline hasn't lost my bag with my CCW in it all will be well.

11. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    If they would privatize the airport network, I'll bet a buck that it's ability to accommodate the air traffic would improve, drastically. More people want to fly, as evidenced by the constant over booking of flights and congestion at the gates and on the runways. I don't know when I last got off the ground when the itinerary said we should have. Even if we pull away from the gate in a timely manner, there is usually a line of aircraft waiting to take off ahead of us. To blazes with the airlines, their increasingly cramped seating and their surly flight crews.

When I fly, internationally, I choose foreign carriers. At least they give you some decent, friendly service.

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Just on a related side-note.

It would be an error to blame individual TSA Agents. Some will abuse the system but some know just how messed up the idiotic requirements can be. Nevertheless, they roll their eyes, looks askance skyward, and follow the requirements anyway because they have to.

I was training a TSA Agent for a while. We practiced mostly old school Pugilism, Bowie Knife, and Slungshot. Some of the stories he told me about their training or requirements... :blush:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1431365621.250972.jpg ..................

14. FULL BODY SCANS AT AIRPORTS:
    CATSA disclosed the following Airport Screening Results
    December 2013 Statistics On Airport Full Body Screening From CATSA :
    Terrorists Discovered
    Transvestites
    Hernias
    Haemorrhoid Cases
    Enlarged Prostates
    Breast Implants
    Natural Blondes
    It was also discovered that 308 politicians had no balls.

15. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

You should have driven to Austin and flown out of ABIA, no bad weather here, just random rain showers. Austin is only 3.5-4 hours depending how you drive.

16. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Sitting in Detroit waiting to board and they announced they are over booked. really don't they know how many seats are on a plane. I'm getting on it but that's stupid.

17. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Just think.... if we didn't have these 'cattle cars with wings', how many more vehicles would be on our already overcrowded roadways on a trip! :p

18. Honestly if they would have just cancelled the first flight to Dallas I would have just stayed another night with friends. and flew out when it was clear.
    But they were dammed determined to ship us to Dallas to stand in line.

19. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I hate DFW... every time I have ever had to go through there I have been delayed for some reason or another. Especially on American... land 20 minutes early and sit on the tarmac for 40 minutes waiting on a gate. grrrrr

20. Fracman

Fracman Member

Did you do any site seeing or just sit in your room all day last time I was in Dallas I went and seen dealey plaza. Then drove over to Azle tx and ordered some leather holsters from D.M. Bullard. Lots of neat stuff to see around there.