I OWE TO MY MOTHER

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Spot, May 10, 2008.

1. 1. My mother taught me TO APPRECIATE A JOB WELL DONE.
    'If you're going to kill each other, do it outside. I just finished cleaning.'

2. My mother taught me RELIGION .
    'You better pray that this will come out of the carpet.'

3. My mother taught me about TIME TRAVEL.
    'If you don't straighten up, I'm going to knock you into the middle of next week!'

4. My mother taught me LOGIC.
    ' Because I said so, that's why.'

5. My mother taught me MORE LOGIC .
    'If you fall out of that swing and break your neck, you're not going to the store with me.'

6. My mother taught me FORESIGHT.
    'Make sure you wear Clean underwear, in case you're in an accident.'

7. My mother taught me IRONY.
    'Keep crying, and I'll give you something to cry about.'

8. My mother taught me about the science of OSMOSIS.
    'Shut your mouth and eat your supper.'

9. My mother taught me about CONTORTIONISM .
    'Will you look at that dirt on the back of your neck!'

10. My mother taught me about STAMINA
    'You'll sit there until all that spinach is gone.'

11. My mother taught me about WEATHER.
    'This room of yours looks as if a tornado went through it.'

12. My mother taught me about HYPOCRISY
    'If I told you once, I've told you a million times. Don't exaggerate!'

13. My mother taught me the CIRCLE OF LIFE .
    'I brought you into this world, and I can take you out.'

14. My mother taught me about BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION.
    'Stop acting like your father!'

15. My mother taught me about ENVY.
    'There are millions of less fortunate children in this world who don't have wonderful parents like you do.'

16. My mother taught me about ANTICIPATION.
    'Just wait until we get home.'

17. My mother taught me about RECEIVING .
    'You are going to get it when you get home!'

18. My mother taught me MEDICAL SCIENCE.
    'If you don't stop crossing your eyes, they are going to get stuck that way.'

19.My mother taught me ESP.
    'Put your sweater on; don't you think I know when you are cold?'

20. My mother taught me HUMOR.
    'When that lawn mower cuts off your toes, don't come running to me.'

21. My mother taught me HOW TO BECOME AN ADULT .
    'If you don't eat your vegetables, you'll never grow up.'

22. My mother taught me GENETICS.
    'You're just like your father.'

23. My mother taught me about my ROOTS.
    'Shut that door behind you. Do you think you were born in a barn?'

24. My mother taught me WISDOM.
    'When you get to be my age, you'll understand.'

25. And my favorite: My mother taught me about JUSTICE
    'One day you'll have kids, and I hope they turn out just like you'

2. elguapo

elguapo Guest

My mom: She set me out on this earth me. Nuff said.
    All congrats that I have, go to her.

3. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

I'd like to give mad props to my M-to the-ommy. She's done a lot from me over these 22 years, and hopefully she will be around for a good while longer. She is the pillar of my family, she has stayed a strong willed woman in the most desperate of situations. While staying strong she has lived and shown the meaning of a steel magnolia.(That's a southern woman who is strong and independent, but is still a very feminine woman) She has been a person who I can joke with, talk to, depend on, and seek for help any time I need it. I ask all of you, if you can... look in your cell phone contacts... find your Mother's entry... now what is the title you gave your Mother? Is it "Mother"? Probably not, because that's not the proper context of the word. Is it "Mom"? Probably so, because it's so easy to say, spell, and remember. Is it "Mommy"? Probably not, because it's not "cool" anymore. Or did you put her real name into the phone? This is not right, if you did change it, even if she's the most wretched mother in the world, she is still your mother, principles before personality, and remember it. My Mom's phone number is listed under "Mommy", for 1 simple reason, and that reason is to remind me... To remind myself that I, a 22 year old man, an educated, employed, self-sufficient, CWP permit holder, 6 SLED certifications, home owner, always tell my Mother I love her (even when friends are around), joke telling, fun loving, outgoing, successful, and most of all genuine person, has nobody to thank for everything I have accomplished thus far than her. My Mommy. I can honestly say that growing up, It tore me up inside to ever let her down, or not do my best to make her happy. If I could choose between a $2/hour raise or 1 more hour a month I would get to spend with her, I'd choose the time. A Mother is something that you can't buy with any amount of cash, or something that you just happen to find. Rather it is something you have no control over, and I can honestly say that if my life was a poker game, then I was dealt a Royal Flush when Mothers were on the table.

Now I work 7 days a week as it is, granted it's only 8 hour shifts, but it's the hours that keep me from being with my family (mom/rimfirehunter/sisters/grandma/aunts/uncle/cousins). But I did a good thing this weekend... Mother's Day is Sunday May 11th this year, and an older fella at my weekend job (which I supervise) asked for 2 nights off this weekend (which were the only 2 shifts he works) to take his wife of 43 years, and the mother of his 3 grown children, to Savannah, Georgia... as a weekend getaway for her, he's not been able to take her back to Savannah for years, and when he works Friday nights, and Sunday mornings, working 3rd shift Friday, and 1st shift Sunday, it killed any time he might of had to do so. So when he asked for the mother's day weekend off, I told him sure, go ahead and have fun. He told me if I couldn't find someone to cover for him, I could call him by Friday morning and he'd come on in. I assured him that if I couldn't find someone to work his shifts, then I'd work them myself. So Friday came yesterday, I worked 2nd shift and went down the road about 15 miles and worked 3rd shift, and came home. I have to be back at work by 1045pm tonight, but will not get home until 3 pm Sunday afternoon (16hours)... I will go back into work on Sunday night at 11pm (8 hours to drive home, shower, go to bed, wake up, shower, go to work) and will get off 7am Monday morning just to go home ,shower, sleep, shower, and go to work at 4pm Monday at my Monday through Friday job.

I have no issue with working these hours on Mother's day, to be honest, no card, earrings, jewelery, money, or anything else for that matter will not only never add to my mother's love for me, and the absence of these items will also never make her love me any less. She's understanding of my work ethic, heck, she prides herself in knowing she made me this way! She also knows if there's work to she needs done, and she can't do it herself or have it done, I will make time to do it for her. Even if I worked 16 hour days every day, I will find the time to help her, even if i have to wake up an hour early to get it done before I start my day.

I'm proud to say I love my Mommy, and there's nothing in this world I would ever trade her for. I'm going to give her a call right after I post this... to let her know I love her. I don't have to remind her, because she already knows. But I do it anyway, and I suggest you pick up the telephone and give your Mommy a call too... because one day, she might not be around to talk to you, and then it's too late to smooth anything over, to forgive, to explain, to do anything but live the rest of your life without her and have those questions/thoughts/ideas go unanswered and unexplained. I'm not willing to take that risk, and you shouldn't either.

Now where the heck is my phone?

4. amen. moms are the best. its like god sent down an angel to watch us develop into adults. well said spot.

5. I am a bit older than you strangerous. but I still agree, my mom is gone now but that isnt the end of her being my mom. I can still hear her tell me what i need to do even today. I miss her more than I can tell you, and it will always be that way for me. If you still have your mom dont forget to tell and show her how much you love and need her. thanks mom

6. My Mom got the best gift in the world on Mothers Day in '76... My twin sister and myself were born that day...

Moms rock.

7. My mom sucked. She gave me birth and that was it. Killed 2 of my sisters before getting herself killed by my father, who also sucked.

They are both gone now for many years, and frankly, I do not care, or miss either of them.

Now the aunt that raised me, I consider her as close to a mother as I have ever had. She will have my love and respect until the day she dies.

I hope all of you guys that had good moms treat them right and have a great mothers day with them tomorrow.

8. p7196

p7196 Guest

To my wonderful Mom in heaven. I miss you so much. She taught me many things before she left this earth. She also suffered through a very long period of being ill. She is still loved very much and sorely missed. But she is in a better place.

9. waltham41, i feel for you man. that must have sucked. it would seem, though, that you developed into a decent human being despite the bad times
    you had. your aunt must be a really good person.

10. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I can't freaking stand my mom...