Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, as the title states, I re-joined a not-so-exclusive, but whose membership has been very difficult to obtain, club on Saturday. It has nothing to do with the Second Amendment or anything like that, it's not golf or pogs.... It's a club that all of us are members of at birth, but some like me choose to not be a member at some point. I am very proud to say that after 12 years of not being a member, I have re-joined the non-smokers club. (What? Not what you expected?) :)
I had my last Camel Light before I went to bed on Friday & stuck a patch to my arm when I woke up. I'm only on day 3, but I haven't felt this good in a long time. No more coughing if I take too deep a breath when I wake up, no disgusting taste in my mouth, no stinking clothes, no more hacking up unidentifiable brown crud at any given moment..... My car still stinks, but at least I never smoked in my house.
I feel pretty good & confident in myself so far. I know I've had enough of it, so I won't be back for more this time. Now if only I could talk my wife into quitting.
The hardest thing so far has been work. I drive 10-14 hrs a night. It's incredibly boring WITH cigarettes. Without them, it's much worse. I just suck on some Altoids to break the habit part of it.
Wish me luck! (Even though I don't need it, I've got this one in the can ;) )

·
Registered
284 Posts
I was a light smoker for three or four years, just a few in the evenings and went cold turkey about a month ago. It is VERY hard, no matter HOW many a day you smoke. Don't feel bad if you fall back into your old ways this time around, lots of would-be-ex-smokers quit multiple times before it sticks. The important part is to keep trying. This is my third attempt and it seems to be sticking finally. I just eventually got so SICK of the cravings themselves, and wanted to live like a normal human being with needing nicotine to help put me to sleep and be able to function normally.

I don't know about those patches.. you're just replacing nicotine with more nicotine, BUT if it's working for you, that's good! Keep at it, it's great that you're quitting. Your lungs and kin will thank you for it when you live cancer-free into your nineties. :) Good luck! It's a fight, to be true, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't feel bad if you fall back into your old ways this time around, lots of would-be-ex-smokers quit multiple times before it sticks.
I've tried before, this IS the last time. I've had it, I want no more.

I don't know about those patches.. you're just replacing nicotine with more nicotine
Why so negative? I just need to slowly rid myself of it. Fatigue caused by a sudden lack of nicotine in my bloodstream is unacceptable in my line of work. I'd rather not fall asleep at the helm of a heavy vehicle moving at 75 MPH. I didn't mean to pick you apart, but negativity irks me. Thanks for the positive part, though!

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Good job, quitting smoking is probably the best thing you could have done for your health. 8)

I quit a 14 year smoking habit 178 days ago, it does get easier as time goes by.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry pigtails, I'm a bit on edge right now. Hmmmm...wonder why? :)

·
Registered
762 Posts
Keep at it. I quit smoking several years ago, got the wife to quit last year, and we both are better for it. Doesn't mean I still don't want to have a smoke now and then though. I dunno if that ever goes away.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think it does. My neighbor said he still wants one when he gets a whiff of it & he quit years ago.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it just me, or do more smoking married men quit before their wives, rather than the other way around? I've known quite a few couples that were like that. The women seem to be a bit sneaky about it, too.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry pigtails, I'm a bit on edge right now. Hmmmm...wonder why? :)
It's ok, I know the feeling. :-[ I wasn't trying to be negative either, sorry if it came off that way. For some people it's easier to taper off and eventually quit altogether, for others, we have to go cold turkey or we'll NEVER fully quit. I tried tapering, and it worked until I got down to one a night, and I just couldn't quit the LAST one measly one a night.. cold turkey it was and it just takes willpower. So I wasn't putting you down or anything for going about it a different way. Quitting is admirable no matter how ya go about it.

Keep at it. I quit smoking several years ago, got the wife to quit last year, and we both are better for it. Doesn't mean I still don't want to have a smoke now and then though. I dunno if that ever goes away.
It hasn't for me anyway. I was off the smokes for three months the last time around, and the first time I got super stressed and just started THINKING about how good a cigarette would be, I got a fix, got up and bought another pack. >_< These days, if I even think about wanting one, I'll get a craving. I don't get fixes per se.. but oh man.. some days a smoke would be so good. But enough of that talk. I can at least finally fall asleep without one.. I'm happy.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i must be unique. i smoked for about five years after reaching age 18. i quit when my wife asked me to. however if i feel the need for smoke (maybe once a month) i go out, have a smoke, and thats plenty for another 4-5 weeks. i just feel like having a smoke, go have one and the craving is gone for weeks. 99.9% of others, if they have one smoke its back to pack a day, full time puffing. ive had a doctor tell me that occasional smoking like i do really isnt that bad for you, and while it isnt good, its not likely to kill me before something else does. its kinda hard to explain, but just one every once in a while does it for me.

SW

·
Registered
284 Posts
That's the worst. If I even have one drink, I'll get that nice comfy buzz going and want a smoke.. haven't drank since I quit for that reason, probably won't touch the stuff until I'm able to have a drink without getting a fix, heh. I bought a pack while I was in California in the middle of the *last* quitting attempt.. it was a bachelorette party and we all got trashed, and I threw the pack away after the weekend was over... so no booze for me for a while. :p

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I really need to quit....

·
514 Posts
Congrats man. Your health will be the better for it!

Cheers,
Kyu

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
It doesn't go away.

As some here know, I had a major heart attack March 30th of last year and 3 heart surgeries. I quit smoking, started paying attention to what I eat and took up exercise. I now work out an average of 2 and a half hours a day, six days a week..

Been almost a year.

Don't start taking care of yourself and you can wind up where I was or even worse, you might not be as lucky as I was to get a second chance.

Post away everytime you get a particularly strong urge for a cig, if I'm online I'll reply DON'T DO IT. It's worth a few taps on the keyboard to help someone change their life for the better.

Welcome to the club.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the support guys (and gal ;) ) It really helps a lot to hear all the words of encouragement. Well, my wife (& M-I-L) may have to quit now, too. Their brands just went up somewhere in the neighborhood of $1.25-$1.75, depending on where you go. I didn't even know there was a tax hike coming, I guess I just have good timing.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
been 27 years for me and when I smell someone smoking a pipe I get the (well maybe this one time) but I don't do it ....So stick with it... good luck

·
Registered
284 Posts
Also a plus of quitting: not having to PAY for them. I smoked American Spirits, and they cost six bucks a pack at smoke shops/ liquor stores. Six bucks a PACK!! That's insanity, in retrospect. 24 bucks a month I'd blow on that shite. They cost EIGHT bucks a pack at gas stations. 0_0

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
Also a plus of quitting: not having to PAY for them. I smoked American Spirits, and they cost six bucks a pack at smoke shops/ liquor stores. Six bucks a PACK!! That's insanity, in retrospect. 24 bucks a month I'd blow on that shate. They cost EIGHT bucks a pack at gas stations. 0_0
when i quit 2 years ago i lived in downtown chicago. $8.16 a pack. i can only imagine what they are now..;...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.