I saw the unicorn...

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lcback, Aug 27, 2015.

1. Preface:
    For 3 years I have searched for the illusive beast. I have nicknamed it unicorn blood. I had seen it in packs of 50 units for $10 5x the normal price for as long as I can remember. But rumor had it that at one time it was $20 for 500+

Page one:

Today was my son's first day of kindergarten. I promised him dinner and ice cream if it all went well (a rare occurrence for us).

I got home from work and loaded the family into the van. drove to Eat'n Park. A normal diner around here known for giving kids big cookies covered in icing with smiles drawn on them. After that I said it was time for the real treat. But first Daddy wanted to stop by Dunhams and check probably in vain for the elusive unicorn blood commonly known as 22LR.

I walk to the ammunition counter and as always there was a rack full of minimags and Eley target for $15 per 50.
    but wait! my daughter say's DAD LOOK AT THIS LITTLE BUCKET!!! ITS SO CUTE!!!

Low and behold on the bottom shelf sat 10 Bucket-o-Bullets. My heart sank as I knew I couldn't spend the $76 they wanted for them.
    But beside that EVEN BETTER. 500 rounds for $26 there were 2 boxes left, I guarded 1 with my life. Perfect I exclaimed. "I'm breaking out the little marlin and phoenix for the first time in months this week end!"

I walked to the counter, placed my pride and joy find on the counter and swiped my card. My smile grew as I neared the door.
    But then I heard it. the deafening sound of awkward confrontation. "Sir, only $18 was accepted on the card" the counter lady said.

I had $10 cash in my pocket ready for emergencies. But then I realized my worst fear. My son was still owed ice cream. He had held up his end of the deal, I couldn't break mine.
    "I'm sorry mam, I'll have to put it back, this time" I managed to say. As i turned to walk away.

So close, I could smell the burning powder, and hear the faint PoP. But alas I was rewarded with smiling children non the less. I swear I'm not even a little bitter :wah::cool:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2015
  2. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Dude PM your address and I will send you a brick next week. It's not like i am hurting. And yes I am serious.

3. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I remember the Eat'n Park. Every time we drove by my father would say, "Why would anyone eat and then park? Shouldn't it be the Park'N Eat?" We also had a King's Family Restaurant near where I grew up in Bethel Park that was a good place to eat when you were a kid.

4. The little sacrifices we make for our kids that they'll never know about.Nice job Icback.Honor and integrity.

5. thank you very much PM sent

6. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

I'm starting to see 22 here. Almost bought some just becuase. Maybe I will next payday.

If it makes you feel any better, I and I am sure most blokes here, would have done the same thing. Kudos for putting the kids first.

And to Plano for coming through to help another member, again!

And, Kings is way better than Eat n Park, for sure:D

7. GLUGLUG

GLUGLUG Supporting Member

NC
    this is why i don't have kids... not that they're not worth it but...damn, good on you dad.

8. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Cute kids, glad to help.

9. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

You're a good man LC

10. I'm sure most of them would. I know it was the right thing to do, it just always drives you nuts, seeing all the good deals lately (sub $550 Ar-15, and $199 9mm pistol's) and not being able to take advantage of it. really frustrates you when you thought you could grab one and BAM someone forgot to put an expense in the check book :mad:

I am amazed by his generosity, Some day I hope to pay it forward.

WHAT!? Around here Kings are struggling and most have shut down. Eat'n Park though is still going strong. Has always been a family tradition for us.
    They heave raised the prices though. Gosh, almost $9 per adult meal. It's the adon's they screw you on. It was 4.50 for my burger, i asked for a side of mashed potatoes, rose the price to $7.50. and my wives grilled chicken salad was $8. for rabbit food. :eek:

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Guess What?
    You didn't have enough anyway, with Tax!
    ($28.88 in Westmoreland county)
    :D Ya Did GOOD, Elsey! :D

12. LOL, you're right. I would have been $0.88 short
    :rofl:

I really did think we had the money in the account. But one of us forgot about the power bill :rolleyes:

13. rippinryno

rippinryno Well-Known Member

that's a good price on the thunderbolts, they've gone up everywhere near me, they're 34.99 now! Buckets are $90 here now.

planosteve to the rescue!

also, and i don't mean this to be offensive. If you're scraping the bottom of your account financially, really 22lr should not even be on the docket. I don't think you should even be considering buying that when you have kids and are that low, unless of course payday is today, in which case completely ignore my comments.

I'm not telling you how to spend your money, but again, if you're down to the bare bones, you shouldn't even be looking at 22lr.

14. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

There are no Kings in Erie. Last I knew, there was one in Meadville and one in Grove City. We try to go to one anytime we're in one of those areas.

Eat n Park was good when they first came in. But bad or lackluster experiences the last few times. If we're going a place like that, it's Bob Evans for us.

15. Thank you dad, Pay day is today. But its mortgage pay so 0 funds to non-essentials.

And yes We pretty much define Pay check to Pay check. Does that mean I should never go on a date night, I should never buy something I want?
    Maybe you think so. I don't we have the house taken care of. We have food, we have heat, and electricity. With the little left over sometimes I like to have some fun and shoot some lead. It makes working long hours a lot more bearable, when you get SOMETHING for it.

16. rippinryno

AGain, i wasn't trying to be offensive.

17. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Life choices: sigh! You did good. And yes, you must take some for yourself when feasible. some call it selfish, some call it greed. Without your sanity none of the other stuff matters. Just sayin ;)

18. I understand, Its kind of like telling someone that they are a jerk.
    "i dont want to be mean, But i dont like you." It's always a little offensive.

But i get what you are saying, and in a world where i see people on foodstamps and getting tatoo's and drinking at the bar. Priorities are upside down. I can ensure you its not necessarily the case here.

We have what we NEED, But single income with 2 young kids is always tight. Partially my fault as I wont let my wife get a job until both kids are in school.
    I just want them to be raised by there mother, Not some random chick who claims to love them like her own.

19. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

I was shopping at the local Wal-Mart last night (2:10 AM) and happened to find myself standing at the ammunition stand where I noticed Winchester Super X .22 LR ammunition in 100 round plastic packs for $6.97 each.

I originally thought they were CCI Mini-Mags.

And, right next to these plastic packs were several Winchester 555 bulk packs for $19.97 each.

I drove home feeling a little better knowing that I had bought 555 rounds of .22 for less than $25.00 counting tax.

:D

eldar

20. rippinryno

that is a damm good price. only problem is, according to my experiences, that winchester white box is some of the worst 22 i've ever shot. nevertheless if you've got some non picky guns you might only have 10 failures or so. Still an awesome price.