Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well a buddy of mine sold me a British .303 a while back for $150, which is what he paid for it and it was in great condition. He just needed some money quick and had other deer guns to hunt with. Here it is about 3 years later he stops by and says, "hey you still got that 303? Since I got married I sold off all my deer guns to buy CCW firearms and I'm out a gun for this season." I told him heck yeah I still got it, and I got 5 boxes of Hornady SP ammo. So he agreed to buy it back for original price $150 plus ammo price. Well he came back a couple weeks ago and said he couldn't get the money rounded up but shot me the idea of a possible 303 and ammo trade for a 10/22 gun and ammo trade. He said the gun is like new, so I assume he means used. He said he bought it at the Knob Creek, KY shoot, so again I assume he bought it used since he said "like new." He is a good friend of mine that I've grown up with and known my whole life so I know when it comes to guns he don't buy crap. So I went ahead and let him take the 303 and ammo home and he said I'll bring you the 10/22 and ammo tomorrow.
So the next day he stops by the house with the gun. He pulls the gun out with the original box, 10 boxes of Federal ammo and papers and everything!!!! I told him, "man I thought you said it was like new meaning you bought it used." He said "heck no I bought it brand new and maybe put 30 round through it." I thought well heck I couldn't have gotton a better deal than that.

What do you all think?

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
Well a buddy of mine sold me a British .303 a while back for $150, which is what he paid for it and it was in great condition. He just needed some money quick and had other deer guns to hunt with. Here it is about 3 years later he stops by and says, "hey you still got that 303? Since I got married I sold off all my deer guns to buy CCW firearms and I'm out a gun for this season." I told him heck yeah I still got it, and I got 5 boxes of Hornady SP ammo. So he agreed to buy it back for original price $150 plus ammo price. Well he came back a couple weeks ago and said he couldn't get the money rounded up but shot me the idea of a possible 303 and ammo trade for a 10/22 gun and ammo trade. He said the gun is like new, so I assume he means used. He said he bought it at the Knob Creek, KY shoot, so again I assume he bought it used since he said "like new." He is a good friend of mine that I've grown up with and known my whole life so I know when it comes to guns he don't buy crap. So I went ahead and let him take the 303 and ammo home and he said I'll bring you the 10/22 and ammo tomorrow.
So the next day he stops by the house with the gun. He pulls the gun out with the original box, 10 boxes of Federal ammo and papers and everything!!!! I told him, "man I thought you said it was like new meaning you bought it used." He said "heck no I bought it brand new and maybe put 30 round through it." I thought well heck I couldn't have gotton a better deal than that.

What do you all think?
I think you did a friend a favor without getting hurt in the process. You don't seem particularly tied to the SMLE and sound happy to have a .22 in the deal, so I'd say you did fine. If you adjust your original $150 for inflation and compare what you got in trade, cash wise you're fine. Could you have sold the SMLE for more? Probably, but this way you help out a friend and get a rifle that you can shoot a lot at today's prices.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
cool. while i was reading the story and you said the Knob Creek shoot i was thinking you were going to pull a full auto or suppressed 10/22!!! good story!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cool. while i was reading the story and you said the Knob Creek shoot i was thinking you were going to pull a full auto or suppressed 10/22!!! good story!
Haha that would have been sweet.

Don't get me wrong tho the 303 was a great gun and I enjoyed shooting it. I primarily bought it to hunt with but with all my other hobbies going on, I didn't have time for hunting so it just sat around unused.

He's a good friend so I didn't mind it at all. Plus if he ever wants to sell it again, I'd be the first one he asks.

I need to go down to that Knob Creek shoot and pay a few bucks to shoot a Barret .50 and maybe a Gatlin gun.

One thing that is funny though since I live in KY, I ordered the ATI Dragunov stock for it and was installing it and read on the inside it said Advance Technologies Inc. Versailles, KY.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Heck I think you did alright, 10/22s a great rifle and u got it with ammo and all that for bout the going price of one now, if not less. i paid 250 for my 10/22 but it has a tapco stock on it from ruger and helpin a buddy outs gota be worth at least 50 bucks lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts