Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 12 going on 13yo step-son has shown interest this summer in the guns we have. For the past 2 years that I have had the JHP45 he has not really show any interest at all, but we never went to shoot it either.

This past July I won a 30-06 on gunbroker. When it arrived, I signed the family up to the local sportsman club and took the 06' out to the range. I let him shoot the CF380 his mom has. He thought that was the greatest. He left shortly after that to spend a month or so with his real dad. While he was away I put two C9's and a Green 40SW on layaway and picked up a 995. The 995 got outfitted with an ATI stock and a bi-pod.

When he got home last night I was at work on 2nd shift. He bugged his mom (my wiff) all evening to show him the 995. She of course told him he would just have to wait until I got home. So he did. When I got home the boy was up waiting.

So we got the 995 out, and I had to tell him that the 30-06 isn't back from the gunsmith yet (scope rail). He asked what gun was in the gun case over in the corner of the living room. I told him it was a gun for a friend of mine. After a good hour of chatting about his summer and guns N stuff, he asked me what kind of gun was in that case over there? I told him to go get it and I would show it to him.

He came back with the gun case and I opened it up. Inside is an old Savage Model 24S-A .22Mag over 20Ga. It is in very sweet condition.

I handed it over to him and while we were chatting about it he was looking it over and touching the metal with his mitt-grabbins. I told him that he should try to only handle the gun by the wood because the oils from his fingers might leave marks that will lead to corrosion and since it was his gun he should learn to take care of it now.

He looked at me and said… What? I told him to turn it over and read the inscription on the other side. "D. P. Dewy" It was his Great Grandfather's gun. His Great Grandfather left the gun with me a few weeks ago so that I could give it to him when he gets older. I just couldn't wait that long and he is a great kid and gets good grades in school etc so what the heck. My son was thrilled to the point of being speechless.

He can't wait to go shooting with it in a couple of weeks. I can't wait to see his face when I give him a 995 for Christmas this year. He wants one so bad that I think he's going to pop a blood vessel just thinking about them.

Gun safety courses are in order now.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Reminds me when I was a kid. I got a 20 ga singleshot and a nice .22 remington speedmaster that I still have. Of course I had to pass a gun safety and hunter safety course before I could shoot alone.

·
Registered
6,279 Posts
My grandpa got me into guns mich like that. I never had my own, but he had a 10/22 with a fiberforce stock that was pretty much "mine". I can tell you that's made a pretty big impression on my life. Here's hoping it does the same for your son!

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
My child has been shooting with me since she was 9. It's a good hobby to have with your kids if they can taught responsibly. Discipline, practice, routine, focus. All those things are good for kids.

Good on ya.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
That's awesome, man. I hope that the two of you have many years of good times sharing the sport together.

I can remember the day my dad gave me my first gun... an NEF 20 gauge. To a 13 year old kid, it was like Moses had come down from the mountain and placed the word of God in my grubby little hands. Your step-son will never forget, either.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's awesome, man. I hope that the two of you have many years of good times sharing the sport together.

I can remember the day my dad gave me my first gun... an NEF 20 gauge. To a 13 year old kid, it was like Moses had come down from the mountain and placed the word of God in my grubby little hands. Your step-son will never forget, either.
Pretty good analogy. Cause his face looked just like that. lol!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
certainly seemed like a magical moment and i commend u for your thoughtfulness and trust//also gotta say im somewhat envious as well, that is just a momentous event to share with someone ya love

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I feel so envious when people talk about family stuff with there kids and how there dad or granddad or the sorts got them into and took them shooting and stuff. :\
Your not alone. My dad and grand-dad were not into shooting at all. I never even fired a gun until I was 18 and that was a friend's shotgun.

I was 24 when a friend at work who had an FFL sold me a beautiful Russian SKS for $125.00, that was it, the bug bit me.

I bought quite a few guns from him.

Come to think of it I need to go see him. I have not seen him since around 1997 or 98.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
That's the coolest man!!
I wish I had thought of something similar when I got my boy his first gun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts