Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Developed a hankering for the KelTec P17. I am hearing pretty good things about them. Looked around on the local LGS sites and none in stock. Gun Genie dosent either.

Liking my Taurus TX22 Competition. Thought maybe the TX22 standard model might be a good choice in the same class. Again, none in stock locally and also unavailable on Gun Genie.

While sitting in the dentist chair today, I was web shopping .22’s. Found a standard TX22 upper for $149 on the Taurus site. Ordered it, now I can change out to what I want. The competition model for hunting, the standard upper for a trail gun. I dont usually like a lower with multiple uppers, preferring a dedicated individual firearm, but it will do.

And while the tax stamps for the silencers are coming back in a somewhat reasonable time frame, I think I will get a silencer. Maybe a Silencerco Sparrow or a Ruger Silent SR. Life will be good.

But I think I still want the KelTec.

·
Just a Man
14,271 Posts
Developed a hankering for the KelTec P17. I am hearing pretty good things about them. Looked around on the local LGS sites and none in stock. Gun Genie dosent either.

Liking my Taurus TX22 Competition. Thought maybe the TX22 standard model might be a good choice in the same class. Again, none in stock locally and also unavailable on Gun Genie.

While sitting in the dentist chair today, I was web shopping .22’s. Found a standard TX22 upper for $149 on the Taurus site. Ordered it, now I can change out to what I want. The competition model for hunting, the standard upper for a trail gun. I dont usually like a lower with multiple uppers, preferring a dedicated individual firearm, but it will do.

And while the tax stamps for the silencers are coming back in a somewhat reasonable time frame, I think I will get a silencer. Maybe a Silencerco Sparrow or a Ruger Silent SR. Life will be good.

I've heard of some silencerco units getting the green light in 35 days.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
The Kel-Tec I have used a lot is the Sub 2000 carbine that folds up small enough to fit into a backpack. It was accurate to about 60 yards with the iron sights. The rear peep sight was too large for me to get accurate shots beyond that. It had fifteen to twenty-five shot magazines. One thing I did not like about the carbine was the trigger. It was long and heavy for a carbine. Trigger pull was about 7 pounds.

·
Premium Member
36,703 Posts

I have the Sparrow, it works well. A little finicky to disassemble and re-assemble, but I don’t know if it’s better or worse than any others in that regard.

·
Administrator
29,189 Posts

I bought one. I love it. It goes bang as reliably as any .22LR I've ever shot (which means when it gets dirty...). The ergos are good and I like the FO sights. You have to use the slingshot pinch to rack the slide, but it has a .22LR recoil spring so who cares?

I often use it for teaching new shooters.

It's a hoot to shoot. I know of several people who CC it for personal defense.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Reactions: moona11

·
Administrator
29,189 Posts
The Kel-Tec I have used a lot is the Sub 2000 carbine that folds up small enough to fit into a backpack. It was accurate to about 60 yards with the iron sights. The rear peep sight was too large for me to get accurate shots beyond that. It had fifteen to twenty-five shot magazines. One thing I did not like about the carbine was the trigger. It was long and heavy for a carbine. Trigger pull was about 7 pounds.
I like my Sub2K. But I hate the cheek weld. It's blast to shoot. Sometimes more fun than shooting an AR.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,775 Posts
I've heard of some silencerco units getting the green light in 35 days.
Sonny-Boi bought one (silencerco) a few years back, took 13 months to get the stamp

I like my Sub2K. But I hate the cheek weld. It's blast to shoot. Sometimes more fun than shooting an AR.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Of all the guns I had at the time, it was my daughter's favorite to shoot. It was chambered in 40s&w and used the Beretta Mags. Which is identical to a CZ mag, with a (higher?) mag notch.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
21,020 Posts
The

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Sub is about the only gun they make I don't like.

·
Super Moderator
25,945 Posts
I tried to shoulder the Sub2k once at Moleville. It was as bad as when I was shooting the boy's Crickett to sight it in and when I was shooting an AR pistol and fired it while shouldered just to see how it felt.

·
Super Moderator
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stopped again at the LGS on the way home tonight, they called and said some powder came in. Got an 8 pound jug of Varget, 2 pounds of HP38, and a pound of H110.

Guess what they had in the display case that came in today? A Taurus standard model TX. $249. So for $100 more I could of had a whole pistol rather than the upper I bought yesterday, plus I would of had another 2 magazines. Oh well, if we could only see the future. :sick:

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
Stopped again at the LGS on the way home tonight, they called and said some powder came in. Got an 8 pound jug of Varget, 2 pounds of HP38, and a pound of H110.

Guess what they had in the display case that came in today? A Taurus standard model TX. $249. So for $100 more I could of had a whole pistol rather than the upper I bought yesterday, plus I would of had another 2 magazines. Oh well, if we could only see the future. :sick:
I haven't seen Varget in two years, or HP38. And an 8 pounder!? Nice score. As for the pistol, been there, done that. But we make the best decisions we can based on the info we have. Mine are often wrong or regretted later.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,775 Posts
I tried to shoulder the Sub2k once at Moleville. It was as bad as when I was shooting the boy's Crickett to sight it in and when I was shooting an AR pistol and fired it while shouldered just to see how it felt.
I remember that exchange :D

My daughter is like 5'4 and it was nice for her. It was a bit awkward for me, but just the sight picture mainly.

·
Super Moderator
9,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I haven't seen Varget in two years, or HP38. And an 8 pounder!? Nice score. As for the pistol, been there, done that. But we make the best decisions we can based on the info we have. Mine are often wrong or regretted later.
Don’t get too excited, I over paid for it. The 11 pounds of powder I bought averaged out to over $25 per pound. :mad:

• Wow
Reactions: lklawson and histed

·
Premium Member
5,805 Posts
Don’t get too excited, I over paid for it. The 11 pounds of powder I bought averaged out to over $25 per pound. :mad:
Yeah, I figured. Fella I coach with did tell me he could get LR primers - $70/1000. Yes, I did. Way too much, but ... I live too far from Mole to try to work a trade :cry:

·
Premium Member
36,703 Posts
That’s not overpriced, compared to the $28 a pound it was the last time I saw any, which was over 2 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
25,945 Posts
~ slides the 5lbs of unopened Varget in my closet behind a sleeping bag ~

·
Premium Member
36,703 Posts
I did manage to snag 5 lbs of TAC just before things went stupid. I’d need more SR primers to use that up….😡
But I have other stuff, so it’s not too bad.

·
Administrator
29,189 Posts
The Sub is about the only gun they make I don't like.
Lemme guess, the cheek weld? I kinda hate cheek welding on a tube that feels like a plumbing pipe and it raises the buttstock up out of the my shoulder pocket (or I have to crank my head over at an angle). Other than that, I love the gun.

The Simple Blowback action does make it feel a litter "ker-chunky" but it's not horribly objectionable.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
25,945 Posts
Lemme guess, the cheek weld? I kinda hate cheek welding on a tube that feels like a plumbing pipe and it raises the buttstock up out of the my shoulder pocket (or I have to crank my head over at an angle). Other than that, I love the gun.

The Simple Blowback action does make it feel a litter "ker-chunky" but it's not horribly objectionable.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
The cheek weld, the sight radius, the fact that you need to be built like a T-rex to hold it...

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
27,775 Posts

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Everything about an 800# Guerilla and a tiny rifle you can imagine :D

• Haha
Reactions: lklawson
1 - 20 of 33 Posts