Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,155 Posts
For more than two dozen years I carried a Taurus model 85.38 Special in my pocket with just a piece of cardboard with a folded tab at the bottom to rest the barrel on and prevent the revolver from printing.
Just a couple of folds and it would hold the revolver upright for easy grasping - no fumbling to upright the firearm.

This worked for my Charter Arms 'Off Duty' .38 Special as well.

Rerun

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,155 Posts
Back in the eighties, a wallet holster was available for pocket .22's, .25's, and really small .32's.
The pistol fit inside the fabric/leather and had a trigger hole.
You drew the entire holster and fired the pistol unimpeeded by the holster.

For some reason, many States outlawed their use.

Rerun

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,155 Posts
Boy, you love making unsubstantiated claims don't you?

I was aware of an ATF "rule" saying certain styles of wallet holsters with a hole that allows a handgun to be fired "may" turn the handgun in to an AOW, but nothing about many states outlawing them.
Your former home State, New York as well as neighboring States, NJ and RI, all three would jail you if you were found with the hole holster in your possession, with or without a firearm.

The holsters were for single stack pistols and two shot derringers - revolvers need not apply.

Rerun

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,155 Posts
Again, you are incorrect.
Article 265 Penal Law Firearms - Dangerous Weapons | NY Law
Here, find it in the law if you want, it'll be under "disguised guns". 265.02(6) They don't actually ban the holsters specifically, they ban the actual concealed firearm itself, and the paint jobs. Then they had to go back in and revise it AGAIN because TECHNICALLY a camouflage paint job is designed to conceal the firearm...

Because the holster itself isn't illegal until it's used to conceal the firearm and they can't prove "knowingly" or "intent" on an empty holster.
Same difference.

My friend, the sheriff's deputy, pointed out a memo they'd received from NJ DOJ, stated particulars about NY's position on the holsters and how NJ would follow their lead and arrest anyone who carried one.

Rerun

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,155 Posts
No, legally and by definition, it is NOT the same thing. Find me a Sheriff's Deputy, or any LEO, that can cite all of their own state's laws with 100% accuracy without the use of any references, let alone another state's.

I guess if we turned them in to memes on FB you might be able to post a fact or two...
I'm sure that a whole lot of laws have changed in the 35 years since these holsters were first produced and legislated on by the three States listed.

Progress.

Rerun

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,155 Posts
Look at how I even posted the most recent (2021 and 2022) revisions to that law...

Now back to your claim of "many" states banning them. You've named 3, I proved you wrong on one, with supporting documentation and referenced the Federal AOW "rule". What have you produced so far? An anecdote about a memo regarding a policy based on a state law I proved didn't exist?

I'll wait...
Or,
more than likely a State law that has been changed.

I'm just not interested into going dumpster diving for a law that once existed only to to be changed decades later.

The anecdote is all I have.

Somewhere I have copies of the American Survival Guide from the '80's.

The ads about the holster were there for all to see.

Rerun

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,155 Posts
But see that's the problem! You just make these totally bullshit statements based on nothing but a vague memory! Stop making claims that aren't true. That's been the entire point of this little exercise. Back up your bullshit, or stop posting it.

Your whole 'in the 80's that specific holster was banned by everyone' is/was bullshit. NY's law about it has always been about disguised firearms, not the stupid wallet, and only been made more specific to include paint jobs resembling toy firearms.
Except,
it's not made up bs.

There are more than 50, 000 gun laws on the books in the US today.

Many of those laws have been overwritten by newer versions.

My statement about the holster was true back in the '80's.

Just a couple of years ago, NY wrote new gun legislation banning magazines that held more than 7 rounds!

Then, they had to amend that law to allow law enforcement larger capacity magazines.

Rerun

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,155 Posts
But it's still not and wasn't ever the reality, is it.

I use a version of the OP's holster for my TCP, my 365 will fit in it, but it's not a pocket carry in most of my pants. In some, it works.
You're entitled to your opinion.

I ran an indoor range during the 1982 - 87 time period.
I handled 60% of the pistols and revolvers manufactured during the 1900's and even some made before 1900.
There was always discussions about firearms and their accessories - who made the best 'whatever'.
And,
thumb holsters were near the top of the ladder.
As well as the laws governing firearms.

NY and the many of the States of the corridor to the NE has always been a cess pool of corrupt gun control measures.

Penalizing Americans every chance they had.

It is still happening today.

Rerun

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,155 Posts
<insert shocked face>
What is this you say? I've been right this entire time when I pointed out that a holster can't be an AOW or get you thrown in jail IMMEDIATELY in so many many different states? And you're saying that if the knucklehead that had initially made such a ludicrous statement in the first place simply paid attention to what I was saying and done the simple ask of reading the state law I posted and the federal "rule" I referenced this could have all been avoided? What!? Impossibru!!!

Future reference, just because I'm an asshole, doesn't mean I'm wrong.
So we're both arseholes - me for not knowing the link between the holster AND firearm and you for the gentle way you 'corrected' my ignorance.

I apologize for my ignorance.

Thank you for guiding me to the light.

Respectfully,

Rerun

·
Premium Member
JHP
9,155 Posts
It depends on what I'm carrying
  • small semiautomatic pistols usually go into my rear pockets;
  • revolvers fit my front pockets purty well.

Spare ammunition goes into opposite pockets.

Two to three speed loaders for revolvers and usually only a spare magazine for the semiautos.

Rerun

1 - 12 of 12 Posts