Registered
671 Posts
How did you do it?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How did you do it?
I got Chrome spray paint from Home Depot. Then took the slide off and fire pin out and put 4 coats on. I'm thinking about put a clear coat on next. It looks alot shinier in person than it does in the pics.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Looks good, did you do any sanding to smooth the surface before painting it?

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no, just cleaned it good. I'll probably do my C-9 and sand it first so it's a little shinier.

·
Banned
401 Posts
Hmm, thanks, I know they make a gold paint like that as well, perhaps, I will do my slide on my C9 with a gold slide...I think that would look good, gold and black! Ye Ha..

Dp

·
Premium Member
217 Posts
i'd make sure that paint doesn't melt when you shoot it first . i spent hours once detailing the logo's on my chopper's primary cover with model paint , first time i started the bike all my work melted off . if that doesn't work for you they have powder coat now in chrome that looks pretty convincing . i may have the bumpers on my old vw powdercoated chrome since old bug bumpers rust up if you even talk about moisture .

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
If it were actual chrome I might like it, I do like the ones that have been polished, I'm not a big fan of the spray can jobs. You'll have a mess if you get any solvent or cleaner on it.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
If it were actual chrome I might like it, I do like the ones that have been polished, I'm not a big fan of the spray can jobs. You'll have a mess if you get any solvent or cleaner on it.
+1, If I did something like that to one of mine, I'd want something a little sturdier than a spray can. It does look good for pics though.

·
Registered
37 Posts
it does look cool but the only thing is is that when you touch the silver paint with your fingers it comes off on your skin and if you coat it with clear the clear will dull the silver finish

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it does look cool but the only thing is is that when you touch the silver paint with your fingers it comes off on your skin and if you coat it with clear the clear will dull the silver finish
Actually, the paint doesn't come off to the touch. I probably won't do the clear coat for the dulling reason. This weekend I'm gonna put 100 rounds through it as fast as I can to see if the heat messes with it.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Do you guys think that the materials on the slide would take to nickel plating (JH pistol)? I know a guy who nickel plates..

·
Registered
63 Posts
looks sharp, but even the best prep and paint is still going to show wear eventually. Did you think about maybe stripping and polishing it? There's another thread about someone who sanded down the powdercoat, and polished up the strip along the slide to make his older hi-point look like one of the new models. That way you don't have to worry about heat discoloration, chipped paint making the gun look ghetto, or "rub spots"

I will say I love the concept, and it looks great. Let us know how well it holds up.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Durability is why I always recomend to people who want to change the look of their guns to use Duracoat. It costs more and is a little harder to do but it will hold up as good or better than a factory applied finish.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.