Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
....You guys... You talk too much. You say too many positive things about Hi Point Firearms. You show people your 9's and your 45's and they are impressed... You challenge them to shoot offs and win... You help each other with answers, you remind people about the lifetime warranty... You point out the value of Hi Point... You even calm down the flamers that show up here... etc, etc, etc

Please.

Just.

Stop.

It!

I read about Hi Point 9mms ~ 2 years ago in Gun Tests Mag... I've finally decided to "pull the trigger" literally and figuratively... In fact, I wanna buy either 2 C9s or one 45 and one C9... I haven't decided yet. But my local gun dealers Hi Point dealers are having some difficulty keeping them in stock... And it's all your fault! (see, I've been keepin' the secret since I read about 'em back then... but you guys just keep yappin it up! Knock it off!)

It's been ~30 years since I had a CC permit... but with today's economy, crime rate, et al, I've decided it's time again to seriously consider: If not CC, then at the very least, home defense... Though I live in a rural area, and most criminal types believe most "farmers" have guns and know how to use 'em, there have been some break ins nearby of late.

And, while I'm a firm believer that the sound of jackin' a shell in a 16 ga model 37 is deterrent enough for any intelligent, sober bad guy.... not all the bad guys nowadays are sane or straight... So they may not realize that what they're hearing might lead to their ultimate demise... and then again... havin' to use that 16 on 'em would prolly end up in a heck of a mess... So, it's time to go back to handguns...

all of that, by way of introduction, is my way of applauding your site... your membership.. .and the weapons mfg. herein represented.

Thank you...I do look forward to getting my first Hi Point at my first opportunity... And, I look forward to sharing my experiences.

If you have read this far... (I applaud you for your patience with my overabundance of wordiness).

I do have a question... (I have read all the recommendations (for the C9) about WWB and Blazer Brass etc)....

What personal protection rounds would you recommend for the C9 AFTER the 1000 round or so break in period?

And a favor to ask....

Please, no more positive talk for a week or two.... maybe that'll slow demand just enough to slip some HPs in my dealer's direction..... ^-^

Thanks!
Charlie

·
Registered
256 Posts
:welcome:

Hey Charlie, I think with your sense of humor, and intelligent choice in firearms you're going to enjoy the comraderie around here.

I shot a box of Monarch (only available at Academy) hollow points this last weekend thru my C9 and had zero problems. After 200 rounds of FMJ I bought some Monarch hollow points for my .380 and they cycled thru with zero problems.

My boss was telling me about some shells for home protection that have some sort of insert in the hollow point that prevents the bullet from going thru a soft target, or if it does it becomes basically "harmless". I have a brick home so I haven't researched them yet. Moreover, I don't really like my neighbors so................. :devilsidesmile: :devilsidesmile: :devilsidesmile:

Craig/WR2

·
Premium Member
2,861 Posts
Looking forward to you input, anything feeds well in both my C9 comp and 995, I primarily use WWB but just recently bought a couple hundred rounds of Blaser Brass but have not shot it yet in my C9. In most cases they eat almost anything.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
In answer to your question I have to say I'm using ball FMJ for defense ammo in both my C9 and JHP as that is all I have on hand. I don't CC and if I have to use it for home defense outside won't be a problem, and if it overpenetrates inside spackel and paint are cheap.

Welcome to the forum! Good luck with your search for a Hi-Point.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What personal protection rounds would you recommend for the C9 AFTER the 1000 round or so break in period?
124 and 147 grain round in standard pressure are ill advised IMHO due to extreme sensitivity to limp wristing. I havn't tired +P loads yet. I personally stick with PMC 115 JHP. It's common, cheap, reliable and will do the job as long as it is pointed in the right direction. BTW, despite what others say, the only jams I have had were on FMJ not JHP. Also, save tweaking magazines and the like until you have broken the gun in (I've never seen the issues others describe despite trying to duplicate them), but I'd polish the feed ramp out of the box. That seems to make the slide return a lot smoother.

G

·
I can't wait for the range report :)

With regards to defensive ammo, I've found that Pow'R Ball ammo feeds extremely reliably. It's basically a normal HP with a polymer ball in the cavity. The ball makes it feed just like FMJ ammo and prevents loading of the cavity when going through things like heavy clothing. I bought 100 grain +P and it's been great.

·
Registered
86 Posts
get a .45 and a C9. i have one of both and the .45 personally is my fav. i guess because i've been shooting the winchester 100rd packs and the C9 does not like it at all. every other round is either a nose up or nose down FTF.

i've yet to have the .45 FTF and the thing shoots pretty darn accurate too. i pretty much use my hi points for plinking and leave the personal protection to my PT 92 and GP 100.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
Great post Oakchas!

You are prolly onto sumthin as regards the shortage of Hi-Point firearms. I'd also noted the shortage in my lil' corner of Iowa (by the time a trend reaches us it's dug-in full-force!) and had attributed it to O'bama and his calls for restrictions on firearms, and tracking of ammo... but your conjecture may have blown the lid off this conspiracy!! Blame the HPFF guys & gals, 'Bamma been takin' enough heat of late...

Gotta take my hat off to ya too for wanting a Hi-Point to fill your CC holster! I didn't want to say it in public, :embarrassed2: but if they offered CC permits in my county I'd choose a C9 too... (only cuz if I carried my JHP in a cross-draw fashion I'd be as left-leaning as O' himself, ha).

...as to HD ammo, has anyone tried Hornady's HP/XTP in 9mm? I favor it for .45 & would prolly consider a C9 if the impact of such a slug bears good "results".

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
...and HEY, who you calling UGLY!??!?

sorry, being one of the slooooower cousins, i didn't take offense at first ;-)

I affectionately call my JHP "the heavy ol' BRICK", but then UGLY is beautiful to me... i should post a pic of my SKS sometime for proof, or my deer riflr, or...

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
man oh golly....... what a great first post!

Welcome to the fold!! :D

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Welcome to the addiction!

I picked up a box of Powerball ammo last week, and it seems to chamber fine when I work the slide manually. Haven't field tested it yet, but when I do, I will post results.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the welcome, folks!

My permit to purchase (Iowa law) came in the mail yesterday! I'm thinking of waiting til the gun show to purchase (end of the month). That way I can put the touchie feelie on many guns, and maybe even find a deal on HPs and/or ammo. It's gonna be hard to wait, but I think I can do it.

The reason I wanna put the touch on some various weaponry is not so much for me, but for the LOML (and she is the reason I'm lookin at getting 2 handguns). I work some odd shifts and I want her to be comfortable with the weapon in her hand... not just have to "put up" with what I use/want. She's new to handguns... I'm not. That said, we can always get a slip on grip to make whatever we purchase more comfortable for her (at least until I can make some decent wood grips).

I was surprised by her willingness to consider having handguns in the house... a bit more surprised when she had no problems with it. Local news of home invasions and robberies probably helped there. And, she's more than happy to take a few courses on firearms (general and maybe even HD). I'd try to teach her... but that's a bit like teaching girls to drive cars... best left to professionals! (Keeps what little hair I have left on my head there, saves on ulcer medication, Prozac for nerves, etc.)

As mentioned in my first post, about 30 years ago I had both professional and personal carry permits (Iowa law, again)... So, while experienced, I am a bit rusty. But, I do look forward to getting into it again.

Frankly, I'm glad Hi Point's around to make acquisition of HD & PP weapons affordable. I've never been one to insist on having Name Brand anything.. as long as what I have works, and works well and reliably.. I'm happy. And in fact, I tend to become an ANTI SNOB (I'll be as derisive of those that spend unnecessary money on common items as they are of me for not owning "the best").

After reading many many posts here, and receiving the warm welcome, I'm certain I'll fit right in... Of course, you'll all have to put up with my verbosity... but I try to interlace enough humor to make the reading light! And don't worry, when I have topics less related to HP Handguns, I'll post them in the appropriate areas of the forums.

Thanks again for the welcome...

Charlie

·
Registered
247 Posts
Frankly, I'm glad Hi Point's around to make acquisition of HD & PP weapons affordable.
You won't find anybody here that will disagree with that. I went some ten years at one point without owning anything, and one of the guns that was on my short list when I got back in to guns was the 995 carbine.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Great post oakchas. From my experience, as long as you grip your C9 tightly the 147 grain rounds work great. I use the Hornady TAP 147 grain CQ. It spreads to the size of a golf ball but the lead is soft so that it doesn't go flying thru the BG and into your neighbors house. I hear a lot a of good things about the Powr'ball ammo but haven't got to try it yet. I do use ball FMJ just the cheap Blazer Brass for practice rounds but I always end off with a few of my HD/SD 147gr HP. I paid $16 per 25 last I bought them but the Blazer is around$11/ 50. That's just my two cents. A lot of people bad mouth the 124 and 147 grain loads but it's my preference, they just cost too much to blow thru 200 in a day.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts