Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I'm (potentially) getting a new job. I started on Friday and will be training this week. After this week I find out what my assignment is (the job is with the U.S. Dept. of Commerce, BTW).

Point is, it would be a significant step-up financially. I've pretty well decided to go with a Savage bolt action .223 for an all-around sniping/target/varmint gun. But I think the budget will also stand another rifle.

Here's what I think I want: something semi-auto, probably .308 (?), accessories readily available, accurate and not impossible to scope. I'm thinking .308 because of availability and capability to punch through intermediate cover if necessary.

Comparatively, I know little about full-size battle rifles as I mostly have pistol caliber carbines and bolt or lever rifles.

Any help, advice, or tales of woe would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

-'bridge

·
Banned
1,178 Posts
Look at Springfield, Saiga,  Browning BAR, FAL, Cetme, HK, Remington, DPMS,Bushmaster,etc.Lots of great 308s to choose from. I've owned all but the HK,Remmy and AR 308s.Maybe someone else will chime in as I'm sure I've left out some models.Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Not sure if your after a military style weapon or something more sporting w/ an aim to improve current abilties. Not long ago i decided to sort of do a poor mans M14. At the time thought it would be a fun idea. Didn't really add much, anyway got a Remington auto (either 742 or 7400 works). Was of the same ideolgy as you on the 308 round instead of 30-06. Mounted a red dot which I interchange with a scope and added a 10 shot clip. The gun can be had used b/w 300-375. Accuracy is great and only limitation is the 10-shot clip, still sporting wood stocks but there are syn after markets.
Don't know if this will be any help to what your after.

·
Banned
19,436 Posts
If you want any semi auto in 30 cal expect to pay a significant premiuim at the current time. panic buying has driven prices into the stratosphere. FWIW the Browning auto rifles are far under-rated for what they can do IMHO. Also the aforementioned remy 7400 is a good choice as well. neither of these has the aftermarket support an AR platform rifle does, but curently they are less than 1/4 to 1/3 the price.

SW

·
Registered
127 Posts
I am a huge fan of .308... however, do not look past 30.06, you should consider it for several reasons.

1)Availability. 308 is a popular round. But it is NOT 30.06! The only ammos more plentiful than the '06 as far as I know are 12ga and 22lr. Maybe 9mm.

2)Ammo types. You can get steel core 30.06 ammo still. You can't in any other battle rifle calibre. Past that, there are more types of 30.06 than just about any other high powered rifle round.

3)Gun selection. You have some SERIOUS choices available in '06. Saiga, if you want an AK derived firearm. BAR mkII if you fancy a fine Belgian. Remington's 750. There are a few others that slip my mind, but what I would suggest, STRONGLY suggest looking at, is a CMP issue M1 Garand. You can get a decent one for a steal compared to the commercial rifles that have been discussed so far, own a piece of history, and have what many consider the finest long range semi automatic rifle ever produced.

4) Power. .308 is great, and like you said can punch through medium cover... but 30.06 has been known to blow through a tree and STILL kill the guy taking cover behind it.

Nothing wrong with .308 at all. I have a Saiga .308 and I love it. But don't count the 30.06 out without seriously considering it.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Check out the stats on the 7MM mag and the 7MM ultra mag. Browning makes a beautiful semi. Less recoil and better ballistics. IMOP 7MM Mag will drop less than 6" at 300 yards with plenty of power still left in it. Picking the right bullet is key, you can go out 500 yards with less than 12" drop.

http://www.theothersideofkim.com/index.php/tos/printv/4753/

Most want to shoot mine and it has blackened a bunch of eyes. I warn them all and even show them how to wrap the strap to hold it down but do they listen??? No respect until after they shoot it. I love mine but it is a bit much for white tail.

G

·
500 yards with less than 12" drop? in 7mm mag? maybe if you're zeroed at 250 or are shooting hot loads with lightweight bullets maybe 60-80grn. But the problem with "varmint" loads in a hipower rifle is they have such low sectional density that they decellerate rather quickly.

I personally find it extremely fun to shoot though, but i have an extremely soft butt pad, 5" eye relief on my scope, and a muzzle break that i made myself(im a machinist). kicks like a .243

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Ruger mini-14 with standard peep sights a skilled shooter can hit a head sized target at 300 yds, an average-moderate shooter should be able to hit a deer or man sized target at 300 yds, God I do love the .223, I'm getting my mini-14 as soon as my seargent calls me today. $300 used with two 5 rd mags, one 10 rd mag, and whatever ammo he has for it!!!!!

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
500 yards with less than 12" drop? in 7mm mag? maybe if you're zeroed at 250 or are shooting hot loads with lightweight bullets maybe 60-80grn. But the problem with "varmint" loads in a hipower rifle is they have such low sectional density that they decellerate rather quickly.

I personally find it extremely fun to shoot though, but i have an extremely soft butt pad, 5" eye relief on my scope, and a muzzle break that i made myself(im a machinist). kicks like a .243
Should should be closer. Was reading the wrong chart. Sorry for misleading anyone.

100 150 200 250 300 400 500
Premier® AccuTip™ 140 AT BT 2.1 2.5 1.8 zero -3.0 -13.0 -29.0

·
Premium Member
770 Posts
I had a 7mm mag i used 139gr to yote hunt, best shot 493yds, was zeroed at 200 yds i held over about 2.5 ft just got lucky on the drop caught him right in the neck

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.