Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a Remington 30/06 hand me down ... but its a auto and it jams every other bullet ......

is a Mosin over kill for a Deer ?? I like to eat them but i dont wanna waste a bunch of it cause of the gun..

I wanna buy a Mosin cause i like old guns { i have a few gems } but i NEED a new deer rifle

I shot a few at the range { a 1930 something Peru one .. and some other } and they seem like cannons

and i need to have a scope on it

Also hows the range on one ... and how hard is it to get bullets if you dont reload

thanks for any help i can get

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i seen mabey a 91/30 is decent for a deer rifle........ what the ammo it take 7.??

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have a 91/30 and it shoots a 7.62x54r. I think it would make a great deer rifle. Great distance shot. With a scope even better.

·
Registered
581 Posts
well if you use a 30-06 for deer then the mosin isnt over kill. yes it is a little more gun as far as the ballistics go but only 200 or 300 foot per second . as for the range well that depends on you lol. I have seen a guy hit a gong at 800 yards with one with open sites. and he could do it 3 out of 5 times. you can get soft point ammo for it or you can get surplus ammo for cheap. it will do a good job on anything you want to hunt.
I have 5 and love them, and yes have hunted deer with them. yes you can get a scope mount for them and make it a true long range gun. it is very good shooting gun. and very addictive lol. and if you buy the surplus ammo it is the cheapest center fire gun out there. but then this is just my on thinking. :blink:

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
The Mosin can be a decent deer rifle. Question? Have you had someone look at the Rem to see why it is jamming? I think I would do that unless you are just looking for an excuse to buy another rifle. I personally use a sportsterized Mosin M-44 as my deer hunting rifle. It uses 7.62X54 by the way. That's just a hair bigger than a .308. There are several method available to scope the Nagant. Easiest being the one that take the place of the rear sight ramp and uses a long eye relief scope.

If you don't want to spend time with the Remington, post it on the for sale section here. I am sure that someone would be interested. If I had the extra $$ I'd be interested.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
but its a auto and it jams every other bullet ......
Just dont miss with that first round....

ATI makes a kit to mount a scope to your Mosin. I've never done it myself, I've seen my neighbor do it with decent results. But I've heard some horror stories too though. Plus you got to hack up your factory bolt.

You can also get a Steven's M200 in just about any caliber you want for around $220. Thats about $60 more than a decent Mosin and the scope kit. But you get a warrenty and know its hasnt gone through hell. And its WAY easier to scope. This route is also about $200 LESS than if you have an armorer scope your Mosin for you.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just dont miss with that first round....

[/quote]

Yea i don't usually but its a pain i have used it for 10 years now ..I shot 2 deer back 2 back this year with it .....but it jamed after the 1st rd and i had to un jam it real fast to get my other deer..And its a REMINGTON WOODSMASTER 742 Simi auto ... Its a POS

There prone to jam there is soft metal in the inside that gets pounded down causing it to jam

There is a big gun show Next weekend and i was thinking about picking up a Mosin .....But if its gonna cost alot to put a scope mount on it i might just use it open sights when i hunt in the woods.....And use my Remmajam when i hunt buy fields

·
Banned
1,409 Posts
The irons should do fine for you on the Mosin. The nice thing about the scope mount that replaces the rear leaf site is that you don't have to mess with changing the bolt.

Just for reference. Here is a pic of my M-44 in its current config. I did the work myself. The Mosin purists cringe when they see it but I haven't done anything I can't change back (except having to replace the bolt).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
When i shot that Mosin a Peru one { it had the peruvian stamp on it } about a month ago he didnt have any ammo for it .. but he said i could shoot my 30-06 ammo through it ( 180 grain }.. so i did and it shot pretty good ...

Are them guns like AK-47's were they can shoot alot of other ammo through it just not as accurate .. or do you think he had a different barrel on it

Thanks guys im gonna see what i can get come saturday ....I will show some pics

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
When i shot that Mosin a Peru one { it had the peruvian stamp on it } about a month ago he didnt have any ammo for it .. but he said i could shoot my 30-06 ammo through it ( 180 grain }.. so i did and it shot pretty good ...
Dont do that anymore, lol

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
A MAJOR +1 to what Masso just said.

Cardinal rule of shooting, NEVER USE AMMO NOT MADE FOR THE GUN YOU'RE SHOOTING!!!!!

Not to be a kill joy here, but you could have been really badly hurt doing that, and I'd hate for that to happen.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Remington seems to have serious issues with their semi auto rifles. My .22 made by them is a jamomatic, no matter what I've done, as well. Not to bash on Remington, but I guess it's time to stay away from them if it's anything but bolt action. And the Mosin will do the job for deer for sure, more powerful round than .30-30, and it's the quintessential deer round.

·
Registered
476 Posts
There are several kits for mounting a scope on a mosin .. Some require drilling and tapping if you know what your doing . those kit also do require to modify the bolt. However there are the kits as said earlier that you replace the rear sight and mount the scope on a long mount . Most of these do not need the bolt to be modified depending on the scope .. I will be doing this project this summer on my both mine and my dads m38 . They will not have the same range as the longer riffles , but they should still reach out to 250 yrds . I know i can hit a gallon milk jug at 150 yrds with open sights so the scope will be a great investment ..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts