Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to know if there is any reloading press that will be able to reload for .223, .30-06, and 9mm if I buy the correct dies etc.. I really do not know all that much about reloading but I am the do it yourself tinkerer type of person.

I want to reload for my c9, my .223 encore single shot hunting pistol, and my weatherby vanguard .30-06 hunting rifle.

Can anyone here give me any advice about what I should get or help me with what I need, and if there is something I can buy to give me a framework to reload all 3 of these? If I can only reload the .223 and the .30-06 that would be OK i guess because 9mm ammo is the cheapest of the 3.

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
For the .30-06 and the .223 you would need something like the Lee single stage press. Rifle round reloading is more of an exacting process when it comes to quality. For the 9mm you could use the Lee 4 hole turret press with auto index and be just fine.

All of this, to include dies and powder measures can be found on the Lee website.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/catalog/browse.cgi?1230741094.600=/html/index.html

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
So would I be able to reload the 9mm on a single stage press too or no?
Yes.

Depending on your finances and your needs for high quantities of ammo you could also use a Dillon 650xl.
It will do most calibers both rifle and pistol with a great amount of accuracy and a high volume of ammo as well as having a lifetime no BS warranty.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
personally i find it best for a newb to start out with a single stage press so they learn the exact proces step by step and then move into a progressive. personally i load everythiing i shoot on a single stage cuase i feel it gives me better QC over a progresive. it takes more time, but i handle each compnent at each stage of the process and it gives me more chances to catch defects in brass, bullets, etc.

SW

·
Banned
19,454 Posts

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Jeff, I'm in the same boat as you (wanting to begin reloading) so I ordered a couple of reloading books and will start my book learning soon. Till then the folks here have been very nice and willing to share their experience.

·
Registered
255 Posts
One other thing you should invest in is a dial caliper of some sort. You will need it to measure you col of the round.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
You may not buy ones of these , but there's some good information and they have a cool catalog.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
dillon is way too high end for a beginning reloader. its fine to move up into them later, b ut a progressive is way to complicated for a beginner.

SW
I actually started out reloading with a Dillon 650XL which is a fantastic press. I also have a Lee single stage which I purchased a few weeks later.

I found the Dillon to be so fast and capable that I would have needed a second job to keep feeding it supplies and also discovered I enjoyed reloading as a hobby of it's own. That's the reason for the Lee. If I want to shoot or stock alot of ammo I use the Dillon, If I just want to enjoy the process of reloading I use the Lee.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
dillon is way too high end for a beginning reloader. its fine to move up into them later, b ut a progressive is way to complicated for a beginner.

SW
I started out reloading with a Dillon Square Deal, hardly "high-end". The warranty can't be beat: the handle broke, they sent me a new one for free, along with some other updated components.

·
Registered
47 Posts
get the midsouthshooters cat it has all the makes in it and the prices are lowest.I dont recoment a single stage.not when a LEE turret is avaliable.the lee can be used as a single stage as I do.lee dies are as good as any.and far cheaper.the hand primer is use by many.
a new person may not be as handy as some so the dillons and other progressives are not recomended for new.
all presses make good ammo,some are faster.also more chance for errors.
I have most makes but load most on Lee.I also have RCBS green machine I load 38s on.
get lees loading book and lyman cast bullet book.and read.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts