Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to buy my new HP 9mm on Sunday and the salesperson said that I had been delayed. This is the first time that I had bought a gun and I'm in South Carolina. Is this normal and, if so, how long to get "un"delayed? I feel like a kid who got a sled for Christmas......IN FLORIDIA........I want to throw some rounds through it now. Thanks, Paul

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
First time I bought a gun after moving to Nevada, I got a delay from the background check. 3 days later, I picked up my new gun. From what I understand, a lot of first time buyers get a delay, at least around here, simply because if you have a clean record, you aren't in the system and they take the extra time to confirm.

I have been delayed 2 times since then and I always got to go pick up my purchase within 3 days. One time it was literally 2 hours later. There are many reasons for a delay including but not limited to, the background check computer is down at the time they call, the person or agencies that they check with simply don't answer the phone in a timely manner,.. almost anything really.

Just because you got a delay doesn't necessarily mean anything,.. I don't know the law in SC, but here in Nevada, if you are delayed and they dont either deny or approve within 3 business days, you can legally go back and pick it up as it is assumed that you are ok to purchase.

·
Registered
4,752 Posts
Paul, if you have a popular last name, or a criminal has the same name as you, you'll get a delay every time... unless you get a CWP... www.cwpermits.com (They give the classes in Travelers Rest, SC... if you're close by)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been delayed every time I've bought a gun. The first time I got all spooked and worried, wondering what dumb little thing I'd done 35 years ago had popped up and hung me up. Nothing, evidently. There are only something like 135 people in the country with the exact same full name, so it's unlikely that I'm being mistaken for a bad guy (could happen, I guess0) Each time, though, 4 days later I go back and pick up the gun, no muss, no fuss.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I always go to what they call stage 2, I know why and can't do anything about it. I was born on an AFB and the city on my birth certificate says XXX AFB, well they won't let me use that for the city when they call it in, so I just give the closest city. I have always walked out with the gun, but it is a pain. It probably takes and extra 2-3 minutes on the phone. It don't help that the AFB has been closed down either.

After Dec 27th I won't have that problem though, if you have a CCW you don't have to get the check done, and I am taking my CCW class Dec 27th...

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
There are A TON of reasons for a background check to get delayed:

-If you are in law enforcement
-If you have moved more than twice in one year
-If you are in the armed services or were born out of country (either on an armed services base or if you are an immigrant.... I get delayed EVERY TIME!!!)
-If you have the same last name as someone with a flagged ID
-If you have made an "unusual" amount of purchases within a brief period of time
-If your ID was submitted in an identification theift incident
-If you have been documented as being out of the country for more than a month

And the list goes on......

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I had a buddy who had this happen to him when he went to buy a 9mm Hi-Point. It was odd, though, because this kid had bought and currently owned MANY rifles over the years. Needless to say, he was pretty shocked when he left Herb's that day.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I never had that happen, and given the list of reasons why it could happen, it's probably a wonder, because I bought like 4 guns within maybe 2 weeks time. Maybe it's more of a volume sale deal though. I'd bet they'd get a little shaky about it if you bought LOTS real quick, probably suspect you were a "straw buyer."

·
Registered
52 Posts
In Kentucky if you have a CCDW licence they just run it with your drivers license, they dont even call it in. Love my state (well Commonwealth).

·
Registered
31 Posts
Don't feel bad it happens to me on a regular basis. but I usually hear from them in a day or so :mad:

·
Registered
17,728 Posts
I have never been delayed on a firearm purchase, knock on wood of course...

G

·
When filling out the Form 4473, use your social security number, even though it's optional. I always have and every gun I have purchased, I was given an instant proceed with sale.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Wow. I wasn't delayed on my first gone purchase this past Saturday. I thought there was some kind of waiting period for a handgun, but the saleman said I would be ready to go in 5 minutes and sure enough, he was right. And all those reasons that were listed, well I hit a lot of them. I was born on an AFB in AK over 30 years ago. I lived overseas for 4 1/2 years. I was previously enlisted in the military and I have moved within the past 2 years. I'm glad i was able to take my 380 with me though, cuz I really wanted to shoot it that day.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow. I wasn't delayed on my first gone purchase this past Saturday. I thought there was some kind of waiting period for a handgun, but the saleman said I would be ready to go in 5 minutes and sure enough, he was right. And all those reasons that were listed, well I hit a lot of them. I was born on an AFB in AK over 30 years ago. I lived overseas for 4 1/2 years. I was previously enlisted in the military and I have moved within the past 2 years. I'm glad i was able to take my 380 with me though, cuz I really wanted to shoot it that day.
Lord, I know that feeling, when you get the "itch" to buy a new toy, you just have to open it up and play with it right then! Do you live around here (Dayton, OH)? If so, which gun store do you prefer? Myself, nearly every firearm I have has came out of Olde English, and I took my CCW through them as well.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.