I was feeling particularly manly today so....

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Silicon Wolverine, May 4, 2008.

1. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

..i decided to cut down a tree. I have a mulberry tree in my backyard thats been yanking my chain every summer because it drops red nasty berries all over and we walk them in the house and the cars on our shoes. Ive trimmed, stripped and done justa bout everything else to try and keep it from making berries and i found a tree care forum that said that if you cut it to 5-6' and trim it every year it wont grow berries. I dont have a chainsaw (and they dont work on a mulberry anyway) so i dug out my sawzall, felling wedges and ax and went to town. Its been almost 7 years since i last dropped a tree and i wondered if id lost my skill in it. The main trunk dropped exactly like i wanted it to, and the secondary dropped within a foot of where i wanted it to. Nothing more manly than swinging an ax and yelling "TIMBER" for all the neigborhood to hear. :lol:

SW

2. Sweet. I was happy when I found my dad's old Stihl 038 Magnum chainsaw :). Unsafe as hell because it doesn't have a chain brake, but otherwise it's pretty sweet.

3. Silicon Wolverine

Yeah, i could have gone and rented one but mulberry wood/sap from a live tree just clogs up and jams a chainsaw chain. You have to do it with an ax or a blade saw.

SW

4. Watching the Axmen on the History Channel, that is a manly job cutting down trees. In one episode they were clearing trees from someones property and they did it very well.

Good job BTW.

5. They way you say it, you had a manly good time.

I thought Mulberry's could be made into a jam or jelly... If they could, it seems a waste to ruin a perfectly good productive tree. Oh well, the mess is probably bad enough to justify it.

6. Silicon Wolverine

Yes is was a manly good time.

No i couldnt make them into jelly. the mulberry berries they make jam from come from mulberry trees that are never allowed to grow tall and end up being bushes. The berries off my tree were nasty bitter and had tons of smal seeds. The only thing this tree produced was messy floors and car rugs.

FWIW by couting the rings the tree was 35+ years old and had endured at least one fire. The inner rings out to about the 20 year mark were WIDE growth rings. the last 10-15 were very tight together, indicating the drought thats plauged our area for the last 15ish years had taken its toll. I pruned this tree down to a bare trunk 2 years ago, and it had regrown a full canopy of branches in the time since.

SW