Idea for threading JHP 45 Barrel

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by Cybafish20, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

So I am looking at the slide and barrel of my JHP, from what I can tell there is just a bit of space around the barrel in the front.

The front part of the barrel can be threaded of course - but it does not stick out of the slide - so a solution for this.

I imagine a device with a thin portion to twist around the very front of the barrel, and it would be small enough to fit into that small cavity of the slide, without scraping against it.

Another portion of the device would be a barrel extension really, but it would also be threaded, hell even a ring to cover it when it is not in use.

This seems doable, right?

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Sounds like you're going to end up with a poorly constructed, and potentially dangerous "whatever" on the end of your gun. There's not enough material to get enough threads to securely attach anything, especially not an extension that will also be threaded.

When it vibrates loose, and it will, because again there isn't enough material to thread enough for a secure grip, someones gonna get hurt.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I can see it being done, properly, but I would not recommend a DIY...
    What "device" are you talking about? A compensator? Or extension?

4. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Could you please provide me with the name of your local newspaper? I wish to read about your demise.

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

Amatuer gunsmith without a clue......next post after it fails will be about how Hi Points are junk guns.......

Glad you posted all his plans first, so i didn't have to look like a dink for doing it. ;)

6. cicpup

Vermont
    I've often thought about threading a HP handgun. Just not sure if the notch for the comp bolt will be a problem.

7. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

To the more serious people in this forum - no I never said I was going to do this my self, but I suppose this is an internet forum, just because it's about fire arms does not mean people won't put words in your mouth.

My friend works at a metal shop, and they machine parts for several guns, and he has made custom things for me in the past. I am sure if I gave him my gun, and asked him to make this piece I am talking about, he would return it to me with the piece I have mentioned in this thread.

Is that really so hard to imagine?

Also, how do you exactly picture somebody killing them self with a different retainer pin, or a different spring? Or a threaded barrel?
    You might want to think that one through a bit more.

I've seen and done all of these types of modifications before, though I have never machined anything by my self as I don't actually have enough money to buy lathes and what not, and I don't know how to use them that well.

Threading a barrel is not really that hard, you just need enough space on the barrel to do it. Hell this guy who shot his thumb off when he was drunk and playing with a shotgun, was able to thread one of his rifles at home and attach suppressor to it, and it didn't shake loose, or blow up and kill him instantly, or mame him.

- Also I forgot to mention. If the inside space on the slide seems to short, it could always be machined a bit, assuming you have not lightened the slide in any other way. If you cut off too much, you could get hurt, since it is blowback operated, the slide is heavy for a reason.
    I'll post some measurments of the inside space later, and maybe some information about how much space you need to keep on things like muzzlebreaks and what not. I don't think it's that much though, seeing as how I have seen barrels with only three twists worth of threading.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2015
  8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

• A different spring changes the dynamics of the gun/slide/weight
    • A different pin may not have the required strength or work its way out
    • If not properly done any barrel "extension" may cause a round to strike

What? Grips? rails? Flashlight holders? Mag holders?

Why the tough love?
    Because we're trying to protect you from the embarrassment of something like this happening but Hipoint style;

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX_7GeWRVBE[/ame]

I'll provide the translation to what he really said in the beginning of the video:

" hello infidels, I'm an experienced terrorist and don't try this at home"

9. cicpup

Vermont
    The fact that you think they can't is all I need to know about you.

If the retaining pin was to fall out the rear of the slide could lift causing the firing pin to slip off the sear and the weapon to discharge with possible destructive results.

Use of a lighter sear spring can cause it to go full auto with a single pull of the trigger.

Kill yourself or someone else. Makes no difference to me.

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

We have these things called "experience" and "common knowledge". Its clear that you, do NOT. Just because youd like to be right, doesn't make it actually happen. The fact that you have so many potentially dangerous ideas, makes me think you need some serious firearm safety training. Oh and if "your friend" was going to do all this work, you probably should have mentioned that if you didnt want anyone to think you were going to try it yourself. We arent mind readers, so when someone says "can i make this potentially dangerous modification for absolutely no good reason?"....yeah, we kinda figure youre the one whos gonna try it. Funny how that works huh?
    Oh and if youve already done all these mids before, why are you asking if and how to do them? Kinda makes me think, BS on your part.

11. SWAGA

Now skull stickers and bayonets...THAT we can help you with :D

12. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

I wouldn't really call some of this tough love, since a lot of things could have been said in a way that would be considered "constructive criticism" but I'll answer.

I fully understand the dangers of modifying fire arms, I also understand how to test a fire arm properly after modifying it. I know there are several idiots out there, I've even met them, and almost died because of them.
    I just came here to ask questions about this gun in particular because, well, I have never modified a Hi-Point, and I wanted some feed back and advice, before we dove into anything.

They make quite a few things, but I'll name a few

Pillar bedding collums
    Tap Mandrels
    Barrel thread Protectors
    Barrels
    Bolt Knobs
    Barrel nuts
    AR forward assists
    Entire AR uppers and lowers
    Railed and non railed free float hand guards
    Various rail systems
    Rail covers
    Entire trigger groups
    Entire fire arms (every single part inside them, every spring, every pin - most of them are Remington fire arms)

That's really all I care to mention right now

13. talon

talon the banned wagon

Then, again, why do you keep asking if they can be done and how to do them? If you've done them all already, shouldn't you know? :rolleyes:

14. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

I've never modified a hi-point before, and these modifications, while similar in type, would be different.

Not really so much replacing the pins, that's pretty simple, but the barrel is different.

The barrel I helped thread was on a rifle and was not covered by a slide. It would not require a special extension to be made so that things could actually be screwed on.

Modifying trigger pull is different in this case, at least for me, because I just ordered parts online and dropped them into the gun, that is not really offered - so I needed some advice. I don't like to just go cutting springs.

15. SWAGA

Cyba,

Here's the situation.
    From about 50-60 people here I personally know what their firearms experience level is and they know mine. Because of their time here participating and posting history.

You're new here and straight out of the gate you suggest some ( at the very least ) questionable modifications which at least appear to have no other function then "wanting to do it".

We have no idea of your background or experience, firearms or otherwise.
    So it's our (civic) duty and we have a moral obligation to assume your experience to be very limited. And advise you accordingly.

And may I assume you've read the PM I send you?

-your friendly forum moderator -

16. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Let me give you some friendly advice; new comers are welcomed here with open arms, but the fastest way to get run off is to come out of the gate with BS. There is no shame in not knowing something, there are people here who will gladly help, share and teach.

With that said, I have quite a bit of experience threading firearms of all types. I know exactly what you are thinking of doing and would be happy to assist you.

When you get your design drawings done post them and I'll review for you. I'll also take a look at a Hi-Point 45 on Saturday when I am at the shop to determine if it is both feasible and safe to modify it to accept a barrel thread extension. I can post my findings Saturday evening for you.

I'd be very interested in hearing more about your friend and his metal shop, I may want to contact his shop about having some custom parts mass produced.
    If you can send me his shops information in a PM I'd be most appreciative.

17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

These friends for yours make entire weapons for Remington every single part?

18. moona11

If so this is amazing information since someone here just so happens to have close ties to Remington and was just recently at the Remington Factory. Tell me more about this please.

19. Cybafish20

Cybafish20 Member

That is what he said, his words exactly were "We make every damn part in that gun" and I don't really have any reason to disbelieve him - being that I know for a fact that he works there.

I won't reveal any information about my friend, but the name of the shop is Pacific Tool and Gauge - I am sure they have a website with contact information.

- Actually here is their website

http://www.pacifictoolandgauge.com

You can buy some of their parts off their site I do believe, not sure about guns being bought from them, since I don't think they sell those directly, I could ask my friend more about that if you would like though.

20. moona11

They do not make parts for Remington. They make aftermarket parts and also use factory parts from Remington. Remington does all of their own custom work in house and make their own parts. The main factory is in NY the second newest plant is down south and custom work is done in ND only.