Ideas for Ink

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Mar 7, 2016.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Hey, I'm looking for some tattoo ideas.

When I got my Expert rating for Bowie Knife, I commemorated it on my left upper arm (Western dragon circling a bowie knfe). Now I thinking about doing something similar for my certifications for NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor.

I really don't have "good" ideas yet but there were some thoughts rattling around in my head. For location I was thinking either left pec or right upper arm. For the general design I was thinking maybe the NRA logo with something(s) representing Rifle/Pistol instructor below.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe bracket it on left and right with a rifle and a pistol? I don't really want to do "Rockers"

[​IMG] Feh!

I also don't care much for their new Instructor logo:
    [​IMG]Bleahh!

I gave a little consideration to a reticle crosshair circle but it seems pretty plain.
    [​IMG]

What I don't want is boring, plain, or what every other person has. No skull and crossbones, jolly rogers, or Punisher Skulls.

I believe that tats should be meaningful to the person getting them but also representative of the concept or idea behind why it was wanted. That's why I specifically DIDN'T get tats commemorating when I got my Black Belt ratings in Judo or Aikido; Traditional Japanese culture rejects tattoos as exceptionally low-class and criminal element. While I don't feel the same, it wouldn't be "right" to get a tat commemorating an "achievement" of Traditional Japanese culture. :)

So, "You may fire when ready, Gridley."

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I also gave some thought to St. Michael (maybe with a rifle and pistol instead of sword) but besides Patron Saint of the Defenders, Michael is also strongly associated with cops and I don't want to always be telling people, "No, I'm not a cop. <exasperated sigh>"

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I just wouldn't go corporate logo, at all.

How about just the eagle from the NRA thing?

4. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Honestly Kirk I think it's a bad idea.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I really am open to suggestions. it's why I posted. :)

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Personally I wouldn't do anything that has NRA on it as you don't know how this organization is going to develop politically.

7. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

+1 on this! I wouldnt scar myself with anything pertaining to the nra.

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Fuc# Kirk if you want a tat. Then get one with real meaning behind it. Completing a course is what a 18 year old would do after basic or some sh1t. Make a family crest or something. I agree no skulls.

9. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1457410471.075108.jpg ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1457410478.992176.jpg I feel something like this in my near future..... Would be suitable for what you're looking at Kirk

10. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Dude, don't be a douche! He's a civilian, and if he wants the McDonald's logo on his forehead for finally finishing an entire Big Mac meal AND the milkshake, let him.

That's really all I've got for this. I'm no help on other people's tattoos because I always end up projecting something I want on to their idea.

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have a tat and it does have meaning to me behind it. It commemorates my Expert certification in Bowie Knife.

Both are Instructor level certifications. To me it was more than just completing a course, but a recognition of skills, not only minimum skills at shooting, but particularly teaching skills. :)

Yeah, no skulls. :) But family crests... hmm... Researchers can never seem to agree on what those are and, at this point, it seems like everyone has Aristocracy somewhere in their lineage, often multiple and from families/nations often at odds with each other.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  12. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Just roll over, maybe this dream / nightmare will go away?
    How many times have you regretted putting that 1st tattoo on your self?

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Never. I earned all of mine.

14. eagle, with a rifle and pistol in its grips?

I don't know, but keep it simple and not including NRA anywhere.
    as others have said, you never know what road they could go down in the future. In 50 years they may be the NRABA (National Rifle Association, Brady Approved)

it can mean more than just the instructor certification. It can represent your favorite hobby, or your opinions on defense, self reliance etc.

15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Never. My bowie knife tat commemorates a recognition of a skill and passion of mine.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. Spent 20 years in the navy and never got a tat....could never see spending good beer money on having someone stick needles in me:rofl:

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

They're not for everyone. It's got to be "worth" it to you. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. What about an image of gun salesman of the decade.

[​IMG]

19. I feel the same way about jewelry. The only piece I ever wear is a watch, but I do like my tattoos.

20. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

I liked lc's idea!