Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
"Gun owners dropped their weapons off at a local grocery store parking lot. Deputies checked the weapons to see if they had been used in crimes, then destroyed them."
Darn...

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What a great way to encourage theft of legally owned firearms: put a $100 no-questions-asked bounty on 'em.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

-'bridge
PS Just checked gunbroker; Feather 9mm goes for $600.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Or, they could resell them to legit buyers/dealers and put the surplus to good use. Sheesh. They do it with everything they impound, why not this?

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
That's a lot more technical looking piece than the grease gun. It was basically just a piece of pipe with a trigger group and a barrel lol.

I don't understand this at all. What are they going to do with all the guns that they get? If you are going to trade them in for money...why not sell them to someone...sheesh. The last thing I'd want to do with a gun of mine is to hand it over to the government.

All that crap about saying that it would lower crime...smells like BS to me. If I were a criminal and I knew that I could get money for guns without questions being asked I'd jack as many as I could find. Keep the good ones and trade the crappy ones.

Some stupid state like California would do something like this...why haven't we blown them off the rest of the country yet?

G

·
I say we get local gun shops to offer appraisals :) Just think, if it's legally owned and someone finds out the gun shop will pay them $1000 for something instead of $100, who wouldn't take them up on the offer? And it would keep the firearms in circulation 8)

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I lived in Pittsburgh the local PD was having a no-questions-asked firearms turn-in at neighborhood fire stations. I really wanted to round up as much extra cash as I could and go down there to make offers.

There's a guy on gunbroker (I think out of Phoenix) who buys turn-in guns from the PD. He gets everything but the receiver and offers them as parts guns. PD makes a few bucks, so they're happy. He makes a few bucks, so he's happy. Customers can get a whole parts gun for the a fraction of the price, so they're happy. Win-win-win.

Stupid California.

-'bridge

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
The saddest part of the whole scenario- Deputies checked to see if they were used in crimes, then destroyed them.
In the same article " Several antique weapons were turned in." Arrrrrgggggggg
makes me want to beat them in the cranium. With all the hyperbole about "preserving history"?
Oh it's ok, as long as it's not a weapon you want to preserve. :mad:

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
@Butch, yeah it's not like weapons played an important role in this country's history or anything.
This country, and many others. Gun grabbers are destroying historic weapons with no regard
to their historic value, or relevance. To them, gun = must be destroyed.
It is just plain criminal that they can get away with it.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
what do you expect from the same state (and general area) that at least had the crusher program, bring in an old car or one that failed emissions and get cash, the story i read where super chevy did a whole build up they paid the guy a little more then the state woulda...like 500 bucks for a perfectly straight 68 camaro, no rust, no issues just old.

but when ya think about it, i bet the govenator and lots of other higher ups picked thru for their favorites then let them melt down the rest.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
... What I wouldn't give...
It's Compton. CA and LASD / LAPD are notorious for bringing guns from their own stash to make these events look more successful.

What--the authorities being dishonest?

·
Registered
163 Posts
The whole point of these buybacks is to get them "off the streets" so they're not going to resell them, unless they've been rendered inoperable (the 'minus receiver' post previously) Lakeland Florida near here recently had one for cash. I know one gun owner who took every old, barely functioning POS he had and turned it in. Then used the cash to buy a nice Sig.

Everyone wins! The number of guns "on the streets" went down by several, and he got a new gun! (Probably not exactly what the PD had in mind...)

The reason they're going to using gift cards is the fear that druggies would steal guns and turn them in for drug money. All they're really doing is creating a market for discounted gift cards. I give you $80, for a $100 Best Buy gift card, and you get cash for drugs.

All of these programs just test the innovative spirit of those wishing to profit from them!

G

·
I still want someone to go and sit at a table next to the "buy back" table with a firearms price guide and show these people how bad they're being ripped off! Seriously, does anyone think that a guy would give a gun for a $100 gift card if he knew someone would give him even wholesale for it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.