If you could keep only one gun, which would it be?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Browning 9 Guy, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

i apologize if this has been asked already in another thread (which I'm sure it has) but if, for some hypothetical reason, you could keep exactly one gun, be it handgun or long gun, what would you pick? (My choice would be my Taurus model 82 38 Special due simply to its overall build quality and lastability - the gun my grandkids will be shooting).

Anyone else?

2. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I don't have any guns, they all got stolen during a burglary while I was on vacation. ;););)

3. I would take my hp 4595tsfg over any weapon that I have..:cool:

4. Browning 9 Guy

Bscar, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope you get started on a new collection. Were they classics or more functional types of guns like the ones I have?

5. Browning 9 Guy

This tugs at the heartstrings. I've wanted a 4595 since forever.

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I'd keep the one most likely to get me the rest of my guns back.:cool:

7. Dragonbreath

Dragonbreath Member

Alabama
    If I had to choose a gun that I already own, It would probably be my Ruger super redhawk 44 magnum. Their is enough different ammo loads for that gun to serve several different purposes, from home defense to deer hunting.

Attached Files:

8. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

That's where my line of thinking was going......

9. Atomic_Ed

Atomic_Ed Member

Mossberg 500

Or, I if can cheat a little bit, my Thompson Contender with six different barrels.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  10. You...uh...do know that was sarcasm he used, right?
    Unless you're responding with a level that even I missed. :p

Mine would be my Colt. Yeah, it's not a heavy-hitter, but there are so many kits out there that if it ever failed or needed a new part, I could easily replace it in a snap.

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    MSR

With several different uppers ;)

Attached Files:

12. shepherd321

shepherd321 Supporting Member

1st choice tikka lightweight ss 308
    2nd choice rem mod 7 synth 243

13. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Easy for me. One of my Swedish Mauser CG63 in 6.5X55. Will terminate anything
    large or small I would ever need it to do in North America.

14. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

What a coincidence. Mine all fell in the lake the last time I went fishing.

Seriously though, even though I love all my guns, I'd probably keep my Colt 1911. It's tough, cool, and ammo is plentiful.

15. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

I've never had a 6.5 Swede Mauser, but I hear they are one of the most accurate guns you can buy. Even though I didn't pick it, I have a Yugo Mauser that's probably one of the most accurate I've ever shot.

16. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

What you have heard is very true. That's why after my first one in I think 2012 I went for them. Regular Swede M96's first and then their CG63 version which they used so long in Olympics and World Competitions they were famous for. Many owners do shoot less than 1MOA at 100 yards today with practice. On a really good day, I can do that at 200 to 300 yards at age 70. Mostly though, I am at 2MOA at 200 to 300.
    Many guys I know in the circle of Swede shooters do it commonly and often in tough competition in the Western States. Majority do not of course because of lack of range time. But the rifles have proven capable. :)

17. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

But I thought I was only allowed to have one. :D:cool::rofl:

18. Food for thought.

I talked to Nuer from the Southern Sudan the other day. He only had one gun back home. An AK47. It was good enough for both hunting and self-defense he said and cheaper than a M16.

Just select the semi or auto depending upon. For small antelope, cheetahs, etc he'd use semi mode. For buffalo auto. While he was able to avoid them, for elephants they use full auto. For rustlers semi or full depending of the situation, but he said as his tribe aren't good marksmen such encounters were normally close range and full auto. I don't know about which mode was for lions, which the always tried to kill whenever they seen them.

As for cost. The 1st AK to show up went for 12 cows, but latter the price dropped to 6 cows. M16 were always 20 cows.

If both an AK or a M16 is good enough for all African game, self defense, fighting civil wars and keeping it fed where the people a generation remove from wearing only a loin cloth, either should work here.

His fathers generation used bolt actions but got rid of them ASAP when new tech came along.

FWIW for you bachelors here. The current price for the average wife is now 10 cow and the best lookers are going for 15 cows. Fifteen years ago the price was 20 to 30 cows. Also, if you are thinking of going there to settle down, get married, raise family, own any gun you want and live without $ worries that is the current deal.

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I keep having these weird boating accidents boat and all guns sink right to the bottom.

20. Branth

Branth Member

Probs my AR10. Almost as maneuverable as my AR15, every bit as ergonomic and practical, and with proper hunting rifle power. If I'm limited to semi-auto, I see no reason to not get a .308.