If you want it done right, do it yourself!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by desertrider, Feb 16, 2016.

1. desertrider

desertrider Member

And that's the truth.

Some things I just refuse to farm out, such as working on vehicles or my home, unless specialized tools and/or training is necessary. In the last couple of years I started using a landscaper to do my front yard, something I never thought I'd do. He's been pretty good, but back in October I booted my pool guy because he was lazy and argumentative when confronted about it.

Well this past weekend (Thursday actually) I dropped two pieces of lawn equipment off at the shop that services my lawn guys stuff, on his recommendation. I knew I could have fixed both problems myself for nothing more than the cost of parts, but I'd been putting off both chores since last fall. I really didn't want to tinker on lawn tools this weekend because I had to work on my TS4595 and an SKS, plus spend Valentine's Day with my wife and then go shooting on Monday.

Going way out of character, I decided to let the lawn shop do my dirty work. I dropped off my hedge trimmer which just needed the fuel priming hose replaced, and my leaf blower which needed the "cruise control" cable either adjusted or replaced. I was honest and told the guy that both tools ran fine, but test run them anyway after he replaces the parts.

I got a call yesterday that they were done so I swung by today on my way home and picked them up.

I noticed the spark plug cap wasn't installed on the hedge trimmer, which is how I left it with him. I didn't say anything, but instead asked him how they both ran.

His response was that the ticket stated to replace the priming hose on the trimmer and replace a throttle cable on the blower and that I stated that both ran fine. I responded with how I asked him to test run them, but apparently that didn't make it onto the ticket. He said I could leave them and his guy could test it tomorrow and I could pick it up then. I just refused, paid my ticket and brought them home.

How can anyone who works on something mechanical not test run it before releasing it to the customer?

At least they replaced what I asked to be replaced. I guess anything beyond that would be going that "extra mile" that people now days just aren't willing to do.

2. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Any TV or VCR I repaired went on the 2 hour burn in shelf to make sure it had no other problems. That is customer service!

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    It's ADHD, all over the place :mad:
    I see it happening right before my eyes all the time.
    At work, I tend to reiterate a lot, but at least our apprentices tend to
    be well towards the top end of the gene pool. ADD is unrelated to
    intelligence, however...

4. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

I have been accused of being to focused and detail oriented... I went right back at that boss and told him the job I did required it then challenged him to take a camcorder apart and reassemble it!

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    It is THEIR Job to repeat it back to YOU, and clarify if you want
    "ANYTHING ELSE", Right? :D

6. desertrider

desertrider Member

I'm old fashioned, and yeah, damn right it should be their job to be thorough.

Dang entitled, "that ain't in my job description" whipper snappers.

Get off my lawn!!! :D

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I just can't figure out how you found a shop that didn't start it up and run it to death so they could sell you more parts.:p

8. desertrider

desertrider Member

^^^ Truth right there.

I turned wrenches for several years in my 20's, and test rides, even if just around the block were required. Not only to verify the job was done right for liability reasons, but to identify possible problems and bring them to the owners attention.

9. lsi1

lsi1 Member

compared to some of the horror stories I've heard about mechanics and small engine guys you have found yourself a pretty good shop.