Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I bought my 9mm back in December (after the election, I figured I'd get one while I still had the right). I've been shooting Remington 9mm 115 gr FMJ rounds and was always having problems with it jamming. I have 2 clips, both made by Hi-Point. One clip would usually work if I only put 5 rounds in it, while the other one jammed whenever it felt like it. I was about to send it to Hi-Point to have them look at it, because I have to have a gun I can rely on.

This Saturday, I took a chance and went by the sporting goods counter in my local Wal-Mart to see if they actually had any ammo. They didn't have any of the Remington, but they did have a 100 round box of Winchester 115 gr. FMJ rounds for $20, so I figured, what the heck, I'll give them a try.

Sunday, I went to the range with the new ammo and I shot all but 16 rounds of them and NEVER HAD A SINGLE JAM! Both clips worked perfectly! I thought, wtf? What's with this thing? When I got home, I compared a Remington round to the Winchester round and the Winchester round was about 1/8" longer. Stupid me thought a 9mm round was a 9mm round, but obviously, I was wrong.

So if you have problems with your gun jamming, try a different ammo. Needless to say, I'll be buying Winchester from now on. (Now I just need to find some JHP rounds.) Hope this might save some of you the headaches that I was having.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi Point even says not to use the white box due to them being a little longer.. but they will shoot fine in any other 9mm pistol.. just something with the C9 that it don't like them.. yet some C9 owners have had no problems with them... I myself get jams all the time when using them in my C9... but they are fine for my Beretta CX4 Storm

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
I haven't shot my C9 yet, but my 995 will eat any 9mm I feed it. I've shot Blazer, Remington, and WWB without problems. Since HP doesn't recommend the WWB I haven't shot any through it in a long time, but probably the first 600 rounds I put through it were WWB.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know, but mine doesn't like the smaller Remington ones. Now that I've found a round that works, that's what I'm going to stick with. A hundred rounds and no jams, I'll definitely be sticking with the Winchester ones.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I've always used the winchester white box in my 9mm and in my sons 40 - never had any problems with them. I just bought some remington but haven't had a chance to try them out yet. (it's all they had at walmart so I took them) But I'm sold on the winchesters - they work great. By the way, I've looked all over the Hi Point web site and have yet to find where they don't recommend the winchester bullets -- somebody enlighten me on that a little bit cause I sure can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm with Rick, I use the Winchester Range/target ammo in the white box almost exclusively with no problems. I compared the Blazer Brass rounds to the Winchester and they are the same size exactly. Looks like if one works the other would too. Neither I can't find where Hi-Point says to stay away from the Winchester ammo. I would like to know where to find that piece of info too.

·
Premium Member
2,290 Posts
I don't know, but mine doesn't like the smaller Remington ones. Now that I've found a round that works, that's what I'm going to stick with. A hundred rounds and no jams, I'll definitely be sticking with the Winchester ones.
so what was the jam frequency using Rem. ammo?

·
Registered
13 Posts
WWB works just great thru all my HP's Maybe 3-4 Ftf's in a couple thousand rounds. Matter of fact I've never used any ammo that HP's won't digest. :devilsidesmile:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so what was the jam frequency using Rem. ammo?
If I put 8 rounds in each mag, it would always jam after the first or second shot. One mag I could put 5 rounds in and usually fire without jamming. The other would jam no matter how many. That's why I'm sticking to the Winchester rounds. After having a jam EVERY SINGLE TIME, I couldn't believe it when I went through almost 100 rounds of Winch. without a SINGLE JAM. I guess the smaller Rem. rounds just weren't feeding right.

·
Premium Member
173 Posts
After a break-in period of a few hundreds rounds or so my c9 would cycle WWB (normal break-in amount). Polished the ramp and used a little Break-free CLP also. To me (I may be wrong - happened before) but a slight difference in length of the WWB would be a benefit. My c9 was nose diving into the ramp with PMC. A little longer round plus the polished ramp and CLP worked wonders.

First 100 rds it would jam on occasion.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have been through a lot of experiemntation with ammo on our C9 before it went back for the seond time. Now it is flawless. A couple things I learned:

WWB is about 1/16" longer in OAL than Remington UMC. This caused terrible trouble for the gun originally as the WWb rounds would wedge against the feed ramp.
If you are having trouble, polishing the feed ramp helps. A lot. It did not cure the issues with our problem child C9, but it helped.
Mag lip adjustments. Make them if needed. Plenty of info on here about it.

Now, after the C9 came back looking like the only thing they re-used was the serial number, the gun eats everything. I have no polished the feed ramp and do not intend to. We have well over 1K rounds through it and things are fine, the feed ramp has a nice little groove from all the round it has eaten. The trigger is also as good or better than our other firearms, don't ask me why. It's lighter than our .380 trigger.

The one "draw back" now is that the pistol has to be kept clean. At least the chamber, feed ramp, and barrel. Problems start at around 100 rounds of dirty ammo. A couple passes with a bore snake does the trick.

Theory: The .380 and the 9mm are basically the same gun. I think the specs for the chamebr and such are a "comprimise" between the needs of each round. Since the .380 round is shorter, some C9's prefer 9mm rounds with a shorter OAL. If you happen to get a C9 that was on the higher end of tolerances when the gun was made, it accepts the longer rounds (WWB) better. If you get a C9 the was slightly on the "tighter" end of the tolerance spectrum, it might only like rounds with shorter OAL, like Remington UMC.

In any event, I can tell you that the .380 finally started jamming after maybe 2.5k rounds. Since I broke it down for the FIRST time to clean it thoroughly, it has been perfect again. Our C9 (after the facotry did their magic) is also reliable, but is less tolerant of dirt and will jam if limp wristed. So from our limited experience, it appears that the design accomodates the .380 round more easily.

I hope that all made sense.

Splitter

·
Registered
308 Posts
I have been through a lot of experiemntation with ammo on our C9 before it went back for the seond time. Now it is flawless. A couple things I learned:

WWB is about 1/16" longer in OAL than Remington UMC. This caused terrible trouble for the gun originally as the WWb rounds would wedge against the feed ramp.
If you are having trouble, polishing the feed ramp helps. A lot. It did not cure the issues with our problem child C9, but it helped.
Mag lip adjustments. Make them if needed. Plenty of info on here about it.

Now, after the C9 came back looking like the only thing they re-used was the serial number, the gun eats everything. I have no polished the feed ramp and do not intend to. We have well over 1K rounds through it and things are fine, the feed ramp has a nice little groove from all the round it has eaten. The trigger is also as good or better than our other firearms, don't ask me why. It's lighter than our .380 trigger.

The one "draw back" now is that the pistol has to be kept clean. At least the chamber, feed ramp, and barrel. Problems start at around 100 rounds of dirty ammo. A couple passes with a bore snake does the trick.

Theory: The .380 and the 9mm are basically the same gun. I think the specs for the chamebr and such are a "comprimise" between the needs of each round. Since the .380 round is shorter, some C9's prefer 9mm rounds with a shorter OAL. If you happen to get a C9 that was on the higher end of tolerances when the gun was made, it accepts the longer rounds (WWB) better. If you get a C9 the was slightly on the "tighter" end of the tolerance spectrum, it might only like rounds with shorter OAL, like Remington UMC.

In any event, I can tell you that the .380 finally started jamming after maybe 2.5k rounds. Since I broke it down for the FIRST time to clean it thoroughly, it has been perfect again. Our C9 (after the facotry did their magic) is also reliable, but is less tolerant of dirt and will jam if limp wristed. So from our limited experience, it appears that the design accomodates the .380 round more easily.

I hope that all made sense.

Splitter
I agree with that.. The target rounds I have from winchester were Failing to feed properly, I put 20 rounds of UMC through it and never had a problem... I would get one or two every 50 rounds of the bulk 100rnd walmart bx of winchester.

·
Registered
1 Posts
help plz

A couple months ago I purchased a Hi Point 9mm and 380 2 weeks ago I took them to the range BOTH jammed almost after each shot. I was using federal ammo. Yesterday I returned to the range with remmington and winchester ammo and had the same results. There were two firearm instructors there also they cleaned the weapons and the same thing jammed after 1 or two rounds every time. Also I contacted Hi Point last week and spoke to a tech who told me to take a pair of pliers and open the tops of the mags a little maybe to tight. I have 4 mags, I have a hard time believing they are all to tight so I tried it with yesterdays results. Any suggestions would be great my email is [email protected].

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.