Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
IL is I believe the only state to not allow Carrying of guns.
But now, in Harvey the DA has said he won't prosecute anyone who is CCW and is law-abiding. He also sent a letter to other counties to tell them his reasoning.

So what I can see happening is a bunch of counties will become quasi-legal to CCW, and others won't (like Cook). Of course the danger is a person could still be charged because its still a law.

Plus because the Springfield gov't has not done a state-wide law like other states, we won't even have any kind of license, so any idiot with with a hand-gun can go wearing it around.

I know some folks think you should be able to CCW like you wear shoes, meaning if you want to, you can, without a license. My personal view is we license driving of cars, which at least assures a (low) minimum ability of safe handling and I'm in agreement that this same idea could apply to CCW.

Can you imagine, the craziness, you shop in a store with your CCW, cross the street and you are now breaking the law. This county by county quasi-law is stupid.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't want to put this to a test... But that's just me... I think your reasoning is sightly flawed... Law abiding gun owners are exactly that.. LAW ABIDING.... Meaning if carrying a weapon is not legal for them.. they will not do it. Now, there are those who feel that licensing is an infringement of their Rights under the 2nd Amendment... Unfortunately for them.. SCOTUS has ruled that licensing requirements or legal and prudent... Its the law of the land currently... I highly doubt your analogy of the Wild West is anywhere close to being accurate... BTW.. did you know that carrying sidearms in most towns during those good old days was actually illegal?....

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
KY is open carry and has been for everyones' memorable past.

KY is also a shall issue state.

You never see anyone carrying openly, it just does not happen. You know that a large percentage of the population is carrying, and probably 75% of the vehicles contain firearms, but no one flashes them openly.

Anyone with any sense does not wish to draw attention to themselves in that way.

It is just like the fact that having the right of freedom of speach does not mean one should put their foot in their mouth every time they open it!

Even in the "wild west" most people kept their pistol under their shirt when they went to town. At the same time that the SAA colt was being manufactured so were thousands of "belly guns" carried concealed by lawmen and shop keepers all over the nation. Shoulder holsters and leather lined pcokets were very common. Also, men wore vests and jackets in all weather conditions, so carrying concealed was easier than in our jeans and tee shirt culture.

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not about to test the generosity of the LEO's by doing a CCW.
Besides whenever I go out I always have my sharp wits with me carefully disguised as a dimwit :)

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
Anyone with any sense does not wish to draw attention to themselves in that way.
Sort of my feeling on this matter... Flying low, under the radar, usually is the best way to go..

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
i hope they do something soon.i have told some people that the day will come when "the law" won"t matter.that day isn't here yet,but its not that far off either

·
Premium Supporter
1,434 Posts
As far as IL becoming the wild wild west it ain't gonna happen. Hopefully this will start getting peoples attention though and they can join together to fight back and gain the freedom to carry. Cook county ( Chicago ) rules the state of IL even though the majority of the state does not agree with the way they run. Hopefully they can start to make some changes or just kick cook county out of the state and be done with the bs.

KY is open carry and has been for everyones' memorable past.

KY is also a shall issue state.

You never see anyone carrying openly, it just does not happen. You know that a large percentage of the population is carrying, and probably 75% of the vehicles contain firearms, but no one flashes them openly.

It is just like the fact that having the right of freedom of speach does not mean one should put their foot in their mouth every time they open it!

Even in the "wild west" most people kept their pistol under their shirt when they went to town. At the same time that the SAA colt was being manufactured so were thousands of "belly guns" carried concealed by lawmen and shop keepers all over the nation. Shoulder holsters and leather lined pcokets were very common. Also, men wore vests and jackets in all weather conditions, so carrying concealed was easier than in our jeans and tee shirt culture.
Actually Open Carry is pretty common in KY and also here in Indiana. I get so sick of hearing people make comments like you made here about open carry. It's not about drawing attention blah blah blah. For most like me and others on this forum who open carry regularly, it's simply a comfort issue, and the fact that I don't care if someone knows I have it on me. Guess what, I've never had a problem open carrying either but I have had some good conversations with people because they saw my gun and approached to ask questions about how to obtain a license or they have a license and didn't realize it was legal to open carry etc....

The only idiots that are out to get attention for open carry are the ones on youtube walking around with a camera trying to get a LEO to stop them so they have something to show their buddies and the other idiots on youtube. Those people make up a very very small pct of gun owners so don't assume that anyone who chooses a different method of carrying than you is doing it for attention.

Point is carry how you choose too and so will I. The only thing that matters is that we choose to carry so quit fighting among each other and just do it how you like.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
It's not about drawing attention blah blah blah. For most like me and others on this forum who open carry regularly, it's simply a comfort issue, and the fact that I don't care if someone knows I have it on me. Guess what, I've never had a problem open carrying either but I have had some good conversations with people because they saw my gun and approached to ask questions about how to obtain a license or they have a license and didn't realize it was legal to open carry etc....
Unfortunately, PERCEPTIONS are everything... Yes, there are times when a so called teaching moment does arise... And any real education we can provide to others about firearms is always good... But in the current political and social climate of this great country, we, as law abiding citizens and gun owners, have to understand that there are times.. like now... where just the sight of a gun can have some serious consequences.

There is the argument that over the past 75 years or so because of concealed carry laws.. the general public has become less accustomed to seeing firearms in public.. This being the main reason people get a little freaky when they see someone not wearing a uniform and a badge carrying a gun.. This may have some validity... It could be argued that if we make firearms more visible in our society, people wouldn't SPAZ OUT when they do see one.. Personally, I do not buy this way of thinking. I firmly believe the PEOPLE are pretty stupid as a whole.. An individual can be pretty smart... A smart person seeing you walking in the mall or sitting in a booth at your favorite burger joint with a 1911 hanging off your hip will know that there's a damn good chance you are not going to actually START anything... You put that same person with a group of 8 or 10 others and the combined IQ level DROPS significantly. The group tends to take on the reasoning capacity of the lowest member of that group...

·
Premium Supporter
1,434 Posts
Unfortunately, PERCEPTIONS are everything... Yes, there are times when a so called teaching moment does arise... And any real education we can provide to others about firearms is always good... But in the current political and social climate of this great country, we, as law abiding citizens and gun owners, have to understand that there are times.. like now... where just the sight of a gun can have some serious consequences.

There is the argument that over the past 75 years or so because of concealed carry laws.. the general public has become less accustomed to seeing firearms in public.. This being the main reason people get a little freaky when they see someone not wearing a uniform and a badge carrying a gun.. This may have some validity... It could be argued that if we make firearms more visible in our society, people wouldn't SPAZ OUT when they do see one.. Personally, I do not buy this way of thinking. I firmly believe the PEOPLE are pretty stupid as a whole.. An individual can be pretty smart... A smart person seeing you walking in the mall or sitting in a booth at your favorite burger joint with a 1911 hanging off your hip will know that there's a damn good chance you are not going to actually START anything... You put that same person with a group of 8 or 10 others and the combined IQ level DROPS significantly. The group tends to take on the reasoning capacity of the lowest member of that group...
So what. I don't care if someone gets "uncomfortable" because I have a gun on my hip. I am not breaking any laws and won't change to please someone else. If they don't like it they can leave or not look at it. Se unlike many others I'm not afraid of police interaction if someone makes a MWAG call because I know my rights and I am not afraid to stand up for them if confronted. But like I said before I've never had a problem open carrying.

The point is we as gun owners, ( mainly people who don't like open carry ) need to quit worrying about what I do or what others do if we choose to open carry and just carry the way you see fit. If those of you that strictly cc want to keep your "tactical advantage" ( pause to laugh ) or don't want to alarm the sheep then by all means do so but give it up already with trying to push your carry methods on others. I don't care how anybody else carries as long as they carry so why do cc'ers worry so much about those of us that open carry? Never have figured that one out and probably never will.

The one thing I can agree with you on is that people are stupid as a whole for sure.

But in the current political and social climate of this great country, we, as law abiding citizens and gun owners, have to understand that there are times.. like now... where just the sight of a gun can have some serious consequences.
Please tell me what serious consequences can arise from being a law abiding citizen for legally carrying a gun. I am seriously anxious to know.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
So what. I don't care if someone gets "uncomfortable" because I have a gun on my hip. I am not breaking any laws and won't change to please someone else. If they don't like it they can leave or not look at it. Se unlike many others I'm not afraid of police interaction if someone makes a MWAG call because I know my rights and I am not afraid to stand up for them if confronted. But like I said before I've never had a problem open carrying.

The point is we as gun owners, ( mainly people who don't like open carry ) need to quit worrying about what I do or what others do if we choose to open carry and just carry the way you see fit. If those of you that strictly cc want to keep your "tactical advantage" ( pause to laugh ) or don't want to alarm the sheep then by all means do so but give it up already with trying to push your carry methods on others. I don't care how anybody else carries as long as they carry so why do cc'ers worry so much about those of us that open carry? Never have figured that one out and probably never will.

The one thing I can agree with you on is that people are stupid as a whole for sure.

Please tell me what serious consequences can arise from being a law abiding citizen for legally carrying a gun. I am seriously anxious to know.
I hope you do not take this the wrong way.. But in my much younger days I felt the same way... Screw the rest of them... I will do as I please.. As long as I am not breaking any laws, there's nothing they can do about it... Well... I learned that having that view of the rest of the world only leads to issues in the long run... Now, 15+ years down the road, dealing with uninformed LEO's or a fearful general public is not worth my time...

As for the problems that can be caused.. Well.. simply put... Even if open carry is expressly legal where you live.. You can still be arrested for doing so.. Causing a public disturbance... or worse case... you get confronted by some person who happens to be 1000% anti gun... all he needs to do is make one 911 call and say something to the effect you threatened him... You can damn well be sure that your local boys in blue will be on you like white on rice. Will it hold up on court.. chances are they will not... But you will get detained.. if not flat out arrested.. Your weapon will be taken from you.. to disappear into the black hole of the PD's evidence locker... The gods only know how long it will take to get it back... or what condition it will be in when you do....You may have to hire a lawyer... that's a good few $1000... All headaches that could have been avoided by simply covering that gun on your hip with a shirt...

I don't know what your range sessions are like... or how often you go.. On average I hit the range 3 times a month.. at least one of those sessions is devoted solely to training and practicing with my primary carry gun... running drills... making sure that IF the time ever arises, I will do what needs to be done without having to think about the mechanics... I prepare for the "WHAT IF" situation...

Living your life by your own set is rules is great.. I am all for that... I credit that way of thinking with making this country the beacon of freedom and personal liberty that it once was... But along with this way of thinking one has to be aware of how others view our actions .... Because as I have already stated... Perception's are important...

·
Premium Supporter
1,434 Posts
You have your opinion and I have the law to back me up. I'll take my side everyday.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,954 Posts
I live in IL. Several years ago there was a test ballot for 5 counties for the CCW. 3 voted for and 2 voted against. There has been 2 bills in the State Senate to have a ccw, both have been voted down by the State House. Gov. Quinn has stated he will veto any ccw bill that does pass the Legislature. We are under the mercy of the Chicago liberal anti-gun Democrats. Chicago owns the State Legislature and Governship. Two appeals have been made by the NRA for two different Fed District Judges to allow ccw. The "FEDS" voted both down. Your rights to carry open or ccw are given to you by your State Government, not the Fed Government, not the Constitution. Be very glad you live in a State which honors the 2nd Amendment, IL does not. Our Governor just recently introduced a bill to ban AK-47s, AR formats, Tec-9's, and hi-cap mags. That bill is pending right now in the State Legislation.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
I hope you do not take this the wrong way.. But in my much younger days I felt the same way... Screw the rest of them... I will do as I please.. As long as I am not breaking any laws, there's nothing they can do about it... Well... I learned that having that view of the rest of the world only leads to issues in the long run... Now, 15+ years down the road, dealing with uninformed LEO's or a fearful general public is not worth my time...

As for the problems that can be caused.. Well.. simply put... Even if open carry is expressly legal where you live.. You can still be arrested for doing so.. Causing a public disturbance... or worse case... you get confronted by some person who happens to be 1000% anti gun... all he needs to do is make one 911 call and say something to the effect you threatened him... You can damn well be sure that your local boys in blue will be on you like white on rice. Will it hold up on court.. chances are they will not... But you will get detained.. if not flat out arrested.. Your weapon will be taken from you.. to disappear into the black hole of the PD's evidence locker... The gods only know how long it will take to get it back... or what condition it will be in when you do....You may have to hire a lawyer... that's a good few $1000... All headaches that could have been avoided by simply covering that gun on your hip with a shirt...

I don't know what your range sessions are like... or how often you go.. On average I hit the range 3 times a month.. at least one of those sessions is devoted solely to training and practicing with my primary carry gun... running drills... making sure that IF the time ever arises, I will do what needs to be done without having to think about the mechanics... I prepare for the "WHAT IF" situation...

Living your life by your own set is rules is great.. I am all for that... I credit that way of thinking with making this country the beacon of freedom and personal liberty that it once was... But along with this way of thinking one has to be aware of how others view our actions .... Because as I have already stated... Perception's are important...
It seems to me that you care way too much about what other people think of you. Other (stupid) people's perception of you should not worry you in the least, especially if you are doing something morally outstanding. Like WC Hunter said, don't push your opinion on others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
To me it is a decision that each and everyone makes on thier own. I do CC and would love to be able to open carry. I already do get looks from people that see the bulge on my right hip of my C9. I Arkansas concealed means to keep hidden from public view. It does not say that you can not see a bulge but you can not see the weapon itself. I have never had the LEO called on me but I have had a few looks. It is also against the law to drink and carry, even a sip and you can be arested and your rights of carry taken away. It is important for all to use thier constitutional rights and protect you and your family and it is also a big decision that should not be entered into lightly.

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
As far as IL becoming the wild wild west it ain't gonna happen. Hopefully this will start getting peoples attention though and they can join together to fight back and gain the freedom to carry. Cook county ( Chicago ) rules the state of IL even though the majority of the state does not agree with the way they run. Hopefully they can start to make some changes or just kick cook county out of the state and be done with the bs.

Actually Open Carry is pretty common in KY and also here in Indiana. I get so sick of hearing people make comments like you made here about open carry. It's not about drawing attention blah blah blah. For most like me and others on this forum who open carry regularly, it's simply a comfort issue, and the fact that I don't care if someone knows I have it on me. Guess what, I've never had a problem open carrying either but I have had some good conversations with people because they saw my gun and approached to ask questions about how to obtain a license or they have a license and didn't realize it was legal to open carry etc....

The only idiots that are out to get attention for open carry are the ones on youtube walking around with a camera trying to get a LEO to stop them so they have something to show their buddies and the other idiots on youtube. Those people make up a very very small pct of gun owners so don't assume that anyone who chooses a different method of carrying than you is doing it for attention.

Point is carry how you choose too and so will I. The only thing that matters is that we choose to carry so quit fighting among each other and just do it how you like.
Agree 100%, never had a problem with open carry, can't stand having it inside my waistband or pocket, thats why the make holsters. Heck, in Indiana you are leagle to carry into a bar as long as the bar dosn't have a problem with it, and very seldom do you hear of a bar fight that involves a weapon other than a knife and that is usually so south of the border transplants.
Just my opinion!

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
It seems to me that you care way too much about what other people think of you. Other (stupid) people's perception of you should not worry you in the least, especially if you are doing something morally outstanding. Like WC Hunter said, don't push your opinion on others.
You seemed to have missed your calling... Stand-Up comic has your name all over it.. Believe me when I say you will all know when I begin to push my opinions on others...

·
Super Moderator
28,577 Posts
You can still be arrested for doing so.. Causing a public disturbance...
Anti-gun cops tried that several times here in Ohio. It backfired on them so bad that most of them now get specific training to not do it.

or worse case... you get confronted by some person who happens to be 1000% anti gun... all he needs to do is make one 911 call and say something to the effect you threatened him...
I admit that this possibility bugs me. Got any examples of it happening to someone otherwise legally OCing?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,577 Posts
One doesn't have to give a hot crap about what other people think of them. I know I don't.

I choose to CC instead of OC most of the time specifically because my time and my money are more valuable to me than making a statement, desensitizing Joe Sixpack to the sight of firearms, or the slightly greater comfort of OCing.

I'm always busy. Frankly, I don't have the time to engage in the "gun debate" with someone when I'm shopping at the store. I'm there to shop then I've got 6 other things after that on my list to accomplish. I don't have time to spend the 15-30 min. it would take in interaction with a LEO because some nervous-nellie or anti-gun wonk called in a MWAG.

If YOU want to OC in order to make a statement, get Joe Sixpack used to seeing firearms carried by responsible folks, or because it's more comfortable then more power to you. I'm happy for you and I have no problem with you doing so. But that's not my decision because, frankly, even watching re-runs of Gilligan's Island seems like a better use of my time than wasting half-an-hour dealing with some MWAG bullcrap.

You want to do it? Fine and dandy. But don't give me crap because I decided that it doesn't fit MY lifestyle. M'kay?

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts