Illinois FOID registration a pain in the rear

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by IDMTfirefighter, Jan 4, 2016.

1. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Member

Applied on 7 Dec 15 and as on 4 Jan 16 I am STILL WAITING. In the late 80's I applied with a hard copy photo and paper application and it did not take this long to approve. How can we be slower to approve an application in the age of instant electronic vetting than 30 years ago :confused:?

A RIGHT delayed is a RIGHT denied IMO.

Oh well Happy New Year to all my hi Point amigos.

2. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    It's mainly due to the increased work load of the ccw. The SP have put out a couple notices of delays in the past.

3. I've had mine for 3 or 4 years and I seem to remember it taking a little over a month. Be patient. Remember.. It is govenment :rolleyes:

4. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Member

But I'm angry because my PTSD anti-psychotic meds are late and I want to buy a gun RIGHT NOW LOL :(:rofl:

JK I'm not really angry :p

5. It take's about 30-45 days and with 4days off for Christmas and Newyears you will get it soon

6. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Member

this reminds me of my days on flying status in the service. went on many TDY's. at first you could turn in your travel voucher and get cash the next day. then they did away with that and went to paper checks mailed to you which took 7-10 work days. then they went to EFT only which took 14-21 days to reimburse. went from cash the next day to EFT transfer taking nearly three weeks. the digital age isn't what it's cracked up to be.

7. GoesBang

GoesBang Supporting Member

Personally I think that the FOID is an infringement. I live in Missouri.

8. ArmyScout

IL
    Several million people in IL think the same thing. But it has been in effect since 1966 or 68? It has been tested in the Courts 4 times the latest was 2012. The NRA and ISRA are reluctant to test it in the SC because it is an "iffy". Whether or not it is an infringement is a personal opinion that means nothing. It is still the law.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  9. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

The solution is obvious: Leave the People's Republic of Ill-annoy. Many of us have with very satisfactory results.

10. Kiln

Kiln Member

If possible, this is the best solution. Thing is that most gun control areas don't ever really stop taking things away piece by piece. The end game is that you can't own a gun. Anti gunners have gotten more careful about seeking an all out ban but at heart these are the same people who wanted a complete handgun ban and were targeting hunting rifles as armor piercing sniper weapons.

How do you eat an elephant?

11. BCseacow83

BCseacow83 Member

When I applied to mine I would check online for the status which was nice as it was denied at first since I goofed on one line on the application. It said they would send a notice in the mail but never did. Had I not checked often online I never would have known and would still be waiting lol.

12. ArmyScout

IL

If one is fortunate enough to be able to move, and the FOID is a thorn in ones side GO! Get the hell out! Moving "just because of the FOID" is not an satisfactory option for many people living in IL. Those of us who stay are not afraid of the boogie man.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2016
  13. Here in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts I live in what's considered a GREEN town, which means the chief supposedly gives out CCW permits without too much grief. From the time I took the certification class and started trying to get an appointment with the firearms clerk... it had to be 3 of the most frustrating months of my life! In reality it went as I expected it too, and actually could have been much worse...so I've been told

May 3, 2014 - Attended a basic firearms safety coarse acquiring certificates needed for LTC application.

May 15, 2014 - Called local firearms clerk and left two messages requesting appointment for LTC application (received no call back).

May 17, 2014 - Went to the Police department and inquired if calling to schedule an appointment by phone was still the correct procedure, as indicated on the Police departments web page... and I was told yes.

May 19, 2014 - Went to the Police department and requested an appointment with the firearms clerk. The house officer directed me to use the lobby phone where I called and again got no answer. I went there in person because I thought he might have answered a call coming from an inside line at the front desk. I left a 3rd message requesting to be scheduled for this appointment as indicated on there web page.

May 20, 2014 - Officer Woodward called to make sure I had all of the required documentation and requested I call his office back on Thursday 5/22 to schedule an appointment.

May 22, 2014 - Called Officer Woodward and left a message that I have all the necessary documentation and that I am ready to be scheduled for an appointment.

May 23, 2014 - Called Officer Woodward and made an appointment to submit my LTC application on June 20th. The police department no longer accepts cash so bring a bank check in the amount of $100.

June 20, 2014 - Arrived at Police Department and was seen by Officer Woodward. The interview went as expected and I was told it may be at least 3-4 weeks before the LTC review process would be complete.

July 18, 2014 - Received a call from Officer Woodward that my LTC was available for pick up at the Police Department. Shortly after the call I went and picked it up and thanked him again for all his help.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  14. Tchort

Tchort Member

Now i think majority has to be done on line for foid card.

Needed to change address on wifes, forgot when we moved. Have to make an account with state police, get on there, give a bunch of information just for it not to take the change of address. Cant do by mail in any more that i see. Doesnt even get to part to charge me $5 for change.

Of course if i lose it, it works at charging $10, but with old address.

Looks like I'm going to have to call them, I'm sure that will be a quick phone call

15. IDMTfirefighter

IDMTfirefighter Member

IL state police firearm board also leaves NO OPTION to "contact us" other than a mailing address...no phone, no e-mail...just a mailing address. :confused:

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I've heard 911 works pretty well...:D

You could try calling the local barracks for the number.

17. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Know what is WORSE? Indiana asks Illinoise residents for their FOID card
    in Indiana JUST FOR AMMO! :mad: If I was the Indiana Gov. or in the
    legislature, I'd vote to not require it for ammo, or Guns. They can only buy
    guns here and have it FFL'ed over anyway, so I say Fvck Chicago, cuz that
    is where it is coming from! Poor Ba$tard$ gotta follow all the upstate B$ :wah:

18. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Iowa the same with Illinois residents. Guns have to be transferred FFL to FFL.
    Ammo may be the same. Not certain.

19. Can't you get a FOID on the dark night? Likely much faster, but more $.

20. Moestooge

Moestooge Member

You can get anything done for $$$ in hyper-corrupt Illinois.