I'm a noob. Lol

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by shadowmerc777, Feb 18, 2015.

1. shadowmerc777

shadowmerc777 Member

Ok I know this is a stupid question. So I bought my first hi point and plan on going to the range soon to break it in. The problem is that I have never cleaned a pistol. I have the cleaning kit but it didn't come with any solvents or lubes. What would be the best stuff to use?

2. colthrash

colthrash Member

hoppes number 9, and some type of rem oil, rifle bore cleaner (rbc) or something along those lines. if you have not fired it yet, load the magazines and leave them loaded until you go to the range. you also might lock the slide all the way back with the safety lever and leave it that way until range time. which hipoint did you get by the way? google is your friend with hundreds of pages of help, but this is the best place for hipoint info...

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

You can make your own cleaner and gun oil. Eds red. Just don't use WD-40...

4. shadowmerc777

shadowmerc777 Member

I got the cf 380. I did some searching on google but didn't see anything specifically for the hi point.

5. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

For lube on the pistols I like to use CLR as the lube and you can also use it to clean the bore but I use Hoppe's #9 for the bore and chamber cleaning. For the first time just clean the bore by using a solvent (Hoppe's) soaked patch and let it set for a couple minutes then run dry patches through it until most of the crud is gone. Repeat as necessary. With the slide back flip it upside down and put lube on the wear point of slide, a couple drops and then work the slide back and forth a few times. Wipe off any excess. Load up your mags fully and let them set a few days. Have fun.

6. colthrash

colthrash Member

very gentle shooting. do you have more than one magazine? if so, find a way to mark them so you can tell them apart. keep some notes the first couple of times you shoot it. take your time and enjoy it. this forum really is the best source of info next to the factory...

7. colthrash

colthrash Member

the sarcasm can be a little rich at times though...

8. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

Here is a link to a pretty good video. Remember you do not need to tear it down to clean it.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Zse-6w4Ok"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Zse-6w4Ok[/ame]

9. shadowmerc777

shadowmerc777 Member

According to MENSA. Sarcasm is just intelligence with a since of humor!!!

10. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Welcome shadow, from the great southwest!

11. colthrash

colthrash Member

we at MENSA do not have a sense of humor that we are aware of...

12. shadowmerc777

shadowmerc777 Member

Ummm... I thought that was the FBI!?

13. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    I like to use Frog Lube in all of my firearms. Once I get it worked into all of the parts, it leaves a really nice protective layer that makes cleanup go much more quickly. It also has a nice, minty scent to it.:)

14. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Use the cheapest stuff you can find.
    Really the HiPoint is not a race gun not is it a finely tuned piece of machinery.
    I clean my barrels with ATF, transmission fluid.
    If you have interest in becoming a supporting member you get a copy of Kirk's gun cleaning guide.

15. cc-hangfire

cc-hangfire Member

There are as many choices on firearm cleaning options as there are shooters, and all the above suggestions are good.

Since you're just getting started, I suggest the following two to keep it simple:
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1424354032.340201.jpg
    ImageUploadedByHi-Point Forum1424354042.820839.jpg

The compact Winchester pistol cleaning kit is what I keep in my range bag along with a little can of CLP (clean, lubricate, protect). Combined cost will be between $10-$15. I suggest these not because they are the absolute best, but because it covers the basic need and should be easy to find. I've seen both at every Wal-Mart I've been in.

And watch some YouTube videos on cleaning.

You can make it more complicated as you go with more equipment and cleaners and lubes.

16. colthrash

colthrash Member

a bore snake in the appropriate caliber is also a simple solution...

17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Just don't overthink the whole thing.

18. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

Me personally, I like CLP. Hoppe's #9 every now and then.

I usually just run a patch down the barrel after a range session and I try to break em down every 3 months. Not out of necessity, just because I find it kinda relaxing.

19. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Why are you going to clean it? If it still shoots it isn't dirty. :loco:

20. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Blast it with RemOil, tap it on a rock, wipe it on your shirt & shoot 10,000 rounds through it. Repeat.