Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There was a deal in the paper about a hero(I'm calling him a hero) who shot a BG in a park who was drunk and trying to kidnap his daughter....literally, right in front of him. The idiot grabbed his daughter and ran. The man quickly drew, and blindy aimed in the BG's direction. And shot him in the back of the neck, his weapon of choice. A snubby .44mag with hollow points. The bullet hit the BG just off to the side of his vertebrae in his neck, the shock of the .44mag split the vertibrae and the bullet explanded and took out everything in it's path. It literally blew the assholes head off save for a few muscles and skin.

I've been trying to find the article, but it happened over 9 months ago, I forgot about it until a few hours ago. He went to trial today for first degree murder. Because he used such a big weapon, and deadly hollow point bulelts. He set out with malicious intent to kill. His defense, his CCW instructor told him to carry the biggest gun with the meanest bullets he can comfortable carry and operate.

I was told the same thing, I carry .45ACP with usually Hornady or Cor-Bon HP ammo. I remember being told it's better to have one big hold causing severe damage than a bunch of little holes. I understand the theory, but if the bad happened and I had to pull the trigger, would I be in the same boat as the man above? Malicious intent because I have a large bore with hollow points? I've read similar things in the gun magazines, and the only defense I can hope for in court is a damn good lawyer.

I don't know guys, I don't want to put my life at risk by giving up stopping power. I don't want to get tagged with malicious intent either if the bad happens.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I have heard the same thing a couple of times now. That being about carrying the more super hollow points ammo. Which means you have a clear intent to kill or create serious injuries, rather than just self defense. I too, cannot understand it. !

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
In Alabama you can't shoot anybody in the back(fleeing).
FMJ could give you a through and through and hit somebody else, that wouldnt be responsible.
If its legally on the shelves, its legal to carry so I don't see at all why hes in trouble.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I'm thinking there's either more to this story or the DA is an anti-gun overachiever. I'd expect a jury to sympathize with a parent protecting a child unless there's an unreported factor here.

I wouldn't worry about carrying a .45 or hollow points. The .45 has been a standard US cartridge for over a century now and you can find a lot of expert witnesses to help your defense. Same for hollow points; plus you've got the 'I use the same ammo as the cops' argument going for you.

·
Registered
708 Posts
Way I look at it is to be prepared and to never need it... than to need it and never prepare. I have hollow points in my pistol... even when I carried it in the cab. You use what you got and to hell with the consequences.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
'I use the same ammo as the cops' argument going for you.
That was always going to be my excuse to fall back on. The .45 is kind of a sluggish round anyways, even with FMJ, think it would over penetrate?

That guy's trial is still going on, my mum is keeping me updated on it.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
That is ridiculous, but I guess it could happen and probably did. i'll just keep my 380 loaded and empty the mag if needed, then throw it at him. he can't run surely.

·
Registered
476 Posts
There are always going to be cases like this no matter what type of ammo you use . I carry a .357 with hollow points and could have the same thing happen to me .. I will continue carrying what I think will get the job done of protecting myself and my family . If they take me to court for the same reasons as in the story I'll take my chances with the layers if it saves me or my family from harm . As for the law of shooting someone while running away.. I would hope that in any case you shoot someone in the back that is taking your child would be looked at different that shooting someone leaving your house with you TV.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
I'm afraid there is way too much here that isn't covered for me to weigh in with a correct opinion but I'll take a shot. In the particular case you're citing as an example maaso, and again I haven't seen the article, it seems there are myriad problems beyond choice of ammo. 1. Is this shooter clairvoyant or equipped with some special knowledge that he can determine custody rights in a park? Perhaps the mother had the child illegally etc. 2. The man was running away from him so where does self defense come in? You may say he was protecting the girl which will bring me to.. 3. Is the shooter a duly deputized member of law enforcement to make a decision to shoot to kill a fleeing person based on his understanding of what's happening?. I think way more is at play here than choice of ammo, whether or not he's a hero is subjective, laws aren't. I would like to see the whole story to see what the thought process was here, butI would say you're safe to carry and use HP ammo to use in self defense if you choose to extend it to someone else's defense complications arise.

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
The man was not fleeing after a crime was commited, but in fact was in the commision of commiting the crime when he was shot.
Oh I feel stupid now I read the post wrong, I thought the guy was running away with his own daughter.like a custody battle and the shooter was a third party...wow I need a nap sorry. Forget what I said the father saw his daughter in danger and dropped the bg although it makes me a little worried from maasos account that he "blindly aimed" at someone who was holding his daughter?? That could have made a bad situation worse suppose he had hit the girl instead of the BG? Anyway again, sorry I misread first time. I think he can get around the claim on ammo saying he used HP to prevent over penetration, but still i'm worried about blindly aiming at someone running away with a loved one.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think I'll carry something with a big, slow bullet with no chances of over penetration . Like a BFR chambered in 45-70 with LRN ammo.

Then I'll probably get tagged with cause lead poisoning.

You know, if I'm ever involved with a shooting, I don't think I'll even call it in. I'll just deal with it when(if) somebody notices a dead BG rotting in an ally somewhere.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I'm afraid there is way too much here that isn't covered for me to weigh in with a correct opinion but I'll take a shot. In the particular case you're citing as an example maaso, and again I haven't seen the article, it seems there are myriad problems beyond choice of ammo. 1. Is this shooter clairvoyant or equipped with some special knowledge that he can determine custody rights in a park? Perhaps the mother had the child illegally etc. 2. The man was running away from him so where does self defense come in? You may say he was protecting the girl which will bring me to.. 3. Is the shooter a duly deputized member of law enforcement to make a decision to shoot to kill a fleeing person based on his understanding of what's happening?. I think way more is at play here than choice of ammo, whether or not he's a hero is subjective, laws aren't. I would like to see the whole story to see what the thought process was here, butI would say you're safe to carry and use HP ammo to use in self defense if you choose to extend it to someone else's defense complications arise.
major +1

1 - 20 of 83 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.