Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I belong to several shooting clubs and some of the older ones still have indoor ranges that don't allow jacketed ammo. I have a rather large supply of lead .45 and 9mm bullets that I had stopped shooting. I also have a friend who's wife just joined one of those clubs and is shooting a .380. He asked me if I would load some ammo for her If he bought the dies which I agreed to. I did a little research and figured I could powder coat both my and her bullets (cast lead) inexpensively. This would be true if I knew what the hell I was doing!
So far I've spent $35 on a new toaster oven, $60 on 500pc.s of 95gn lead .380 bullets, $28 on 1.5lb.s of Green Powder coat,$14 on silicone baking mats. $16 on metal screening to make wire baskets, and $10 on a bottle of molybdenum di sulfide powder.
The first lesson; do NOT mix the Moly in with the dry powder coat, it won't stick to the bullets. I watched every You Tube video out there and read what I could. I found that the "wet method" seems to work best assuming you don't put too much powder coat in with the bullets that you already screwed up with the moly! I've also found that if you have a continuous ventilation system like I do you probably shouldn't bake the powder coated bullets in your basement unless you like the taste and smell of paint throughout your house.
I think I'm gonna write a book "Powder Coating for Dummies" if I live long enough.

·
Premium Member
4,732 Posts
I got dibs on your first printing! The smell is one of the reasons I never got started with this - not that some of my lube aren't just as bad.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
You remind me of Jay Leno. Watched an interview a few years back where he referred to himself as the 'President of the More Money Than Brains Club' when asked about how much he'd invested in his car collection.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You remind me of Jay Leno. Watched an interview a few years back where he referred to himself as the 'President of the More Money Than Brains Club' when asked about how much he'd invested in his car collection.
Well, I like Leno so ....... Thanks!?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Well, I like Leno so ....... Thanks!?
I admire honesty, especially when someone's admitting they made a mistake or just did something that in hindsight wasn't too bright. Like one guy in the service always said, "Been there, done that."

1 - 5 of 5 Posts