I'm dead

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Jan 25, 2016.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

No, really. That's what Bank of America thought.

It's tax season so I got a 1099-C with a notice that I'd died on June 29, 2015 and that they had "discharged" the remaining debt I had with them. This, naturally, counts as "income" for my "estate" which means significant tax liability. Normally, I'd just say, "yay!" except for that "significant tax liability" part. An extra boatload of additional taxes, approximately.

So I called up Bank of America this morning and fought with them for about an hour and now they agree... I'm not dead. :rolleyes: They've put in a "reversal" on my deceased status. It should be official "sometime soonish."

...but the debt is still "discharged."

I'll have to, apparently, wait until the NEW 1099 shows up before I can call Bank of (Screw You) America again and try to get them to reverse the discharge.

So, as of now, apparently I still owe extra taxes and I'm betting that having a debt cancellation and NOT being dead will screw my Credit Score too.

So, because some dingbat clicked the wrong blink'n key, I'm getting extra tax and probably a serious ding to my Credit Score.

This ghost AIN'T HAPPY. :mad:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. You should have left it alone... there is a "check box" on the tax form that you check if you died during the year....

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I tried phasing through walls and doors on several occasions without success and have totally failed at "possessing" living mortals.

However, small children do cry when the see me so that's something.

Being undead ain't as easy as I thought it'd be. :eek:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

That's frickin goofy as hell..... How hard was it to try to carry on a conversation with a phone rep that insists your dead?

5. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Just goes to show ya; Life sucks, then ya die, then it sucks again:rolleyes:

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Take them to small claims court for the costs. They won't show up you'll win. The put a lean on the bank and have the Sheriff dept secure the building;-) it will get their attention real quick.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

It wasn't too hard, just took a long time. I didn't have to send a DNA sample or anything.

Getting them to reverse the Tax and Credit damage will likely be much more difficult. <grrr>

It's alllllmost enough to make me very slightly sympathize with the Occupy Wall Street idiots.

...probably one of them who pushed the wrong blink'n button... :mad:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

8. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    [​IMG]
    [email protected]!!!
    As tight-a$$ed as you are, you could be quibbling over nickels and dimes.
    :rofl: :cool: :D

9. undeRGRound

INDY
    Get SWoMBO to straighten them out
    ASAP!!!

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yup. But in this case, it's enough to finance one or two quite nice, name brand, AR's.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. undeRGRound

INDY
    So, get it fixed and buy a NICE AR!!!

Everybody's HAPPY!

12. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    wouldn't the taxes owed be less than the debt?

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Yes. However, the debt isn't due all at once, it's in monthly increments. The Feds want all the tax right away.

And I'm still betting that having a debt "discharged" screws my Credit Score.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

Acutally, Life sucks, you pay taxes, then you die, and your dependates continue to pay taxes, which really sucks. :(

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  15. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Only three things in life are sure; Death, Taxes, and Death Taxes. :rolleyes:

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

16. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

Depends on the type of debt and how it was reported. Most debt write offs don't make the debt go away, only make it unreportable due to being classified as a permanent unrecoverable loss to the creditor. Meaning they can no longer pursue payment. Debt write-offs USUALLY increase the debtors credit score because it's no longer on their report. You can dispute it with one of the major reporting companies and they will get it cleared for you.

EDIT: Okay, so maybe my degrees do come in handy once in a while.

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Good to know. I'll show this to She Who Must Be Obeyed.

That said, the specific term used on the 1099 was "DISCHARGED." They used it twice.

Other than that, I don't know any fine distinctions.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. Try explaining to the Credit Card company that you "did" die.... :rofl:

19. undeRGRound

INDY
    ...such a Negative Nelly, sometimes... :p

;)

Look for the Silver Lining, KLAWSON!

20. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

I would have had SWMBO file a claim for my life insurance. :)