I'm having some stupid modding ideas about my c9

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by RedRaptor22, Nov 15, 2014.

1. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Ever since I finally shot my c9 and managed to land all my rounds on 8" targets at 20yds despite the floppy rear sight that won't stay put. I'm really interested in knowing just how accurate a c9 can be in my hands.

Thinking about adding optics of some sort, and trying to run down a c9 comp barrel to swap onto her. The barrel would be easy enough, but the optics would be more challenging since I don't want to have them flopping around on the slide and the c9 has no rails.

When I got her naked for the paint job, I noticed that the serial number plate is fairly large and wraps up around the whole front portion of the frame, I was thinking drilling and tapping for a rail mount like the larger hi points have, and bending up a mount for a small scope that wraps around and over the slide.

Question, has anyone before me been dumb enough to try tapping into the steel serial number plate of a c9/.380 for mounting something? How'd it go?

I could just pick up a c9 comp to try this on too, probably be easier and then I'd have two hi points, but that compensator has to go, maybe a little flash suppressor or something can take its place.

2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    The rail over the serial # has been done. Walmart carries a small one designed for Rugers that fits perfectly (just need to trim one side to compensate for curve at trigger guard and relocate one mounting hole). As long as the mounting screws don't trash the serial # you have no legality issues. Once sturdy they sell optic mounts that will do exactly what you want.

I haven't relocated the mounting hole as plans changed before completion.

Attached Files:

3. cicpup

Vermont
    One more pic to show the serial # would remain intact.

Attached Files:

4. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Exactly what I was considering! And got the idea from looking at....mounts at walmart! Lol

5. Goodwrench13

Goodwrench13 Member

Hey cic how about a couple of pics of that paint job you got there that looks awesome. And red I just mounted a ruger 10/22 rail to my slide and used a red dot holds 0 perfect. And it not a high dollar one either. Oh and just so you know that rail pice that cic showed will mount to the factory screw holes on the slide. You will need to get longer screws.

6. cicpup

Vermont
  7. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Thanks for the info, may be a good alternate plan, I did see a pretty sweet little red dot for lime $40 there, but I was thinking something closer to a muzzle loader scope, a whole lot heavier and larger than the red dot.

Don't really want to alter the weight and action of the slide with something like that.

8. I was thinking of tapping the slide towards the rear on the right side to attach a rail for a light or laser. That way the wife could still use the fobus holster and it would quick to turn on before drawing. As long as the light and/or laser can hold up to the slide going forward and back. The only problem would be that loads would have to be hotter for the extra weight, or some relief slots cut in the forward section of the slide.

9. Goodwrench13

Goodwrench13 Member

I can understand that

10. Goodwrench13

Goodwrench13 Member

Heres mine takes a little work but I think its well worth it

Attached Files:

11. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Thinking something like this Mako group mount
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. cicpup

Vermont
    Yup. That's what I was referencing.

13. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Saw it fairly cheap somewhere when I was searching, had it with a red dot sight for like $80

14. Goodwrench13

Goodwrench13 Member

Is that thing going to clear the slide on a c9

15. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Not sure, but I was planning to build my own, have quite a bit of aluminium stock laying around from making mounts and tabs and stuff for motorcycle projects. Really just need a few rails, but it was a basic idea to model after.

16. Back when we were still building pyramids scopes were mounted directly to the slide.

[​IMG]

17. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

So.... when the slide mass is too heavy to move rearward when the shot is made, then the lightweight frame 'snaps' forward and rips free of your grip, right? :eek:

18. Goodwrench13

Goodwrench13 Member

Wow a scope directly mounted to the slide there's nothing about that that doesn't scream bad idea

19. wganz

wganz Supporting Member

I saw the pix on post #10.
    That is what I was looking to do with the second slide on that JHP. ;)
    Theoretically, the .45 ACP has a lower impulse than a 9x19mm or a .40 S&W; so, should be easier on the equipment.

20. RedRaptor22

RedRaptor22 Member

Nevermind it trying to backflip directly towards your face when the slide hits the back stops lol.