Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
The beaches may not be and the fishing is going to suck for about a week. After that the Dorado will be under every bit of floating junk you find off shore.

What Hotel are staying in? You may want to check on Thursday or Friday and see if they are open. The airport may also be closed. A few years ago the SJD was closed for commercial air due to wash outs for about 2 weeks.

I go the the East Cape area at least once a year for a fishing and diving trip and I've seen many roads in that region closed for as long as a month after a major storm. I usually stay at Rancho Leonero or Punta Colorada.

Ron M.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I hope Sammy Hagar's joint doesn't go under water, that is one cool place, went last year, had him sign my guitar, you can go on the website cabowabo.com and find out when he will be there. nice guy, tommy lee was down there to, but he's one cocky MF! guess i would be too, i seen his video with PamAn!

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Shooter Z, the main reason I go to Mexico (Baja) is you can't catch Striped, Black or Blue Marlin except on VERY rare occasions in US waters. I suppose I could go to Hawaii but that place can make you feel more unwelcome than anywhere in Mexico. Australia and New Zealand are too expensive and forget most Central America except Belize.

Ron M.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The beaches may not be and the fishing is going to suck for about a week. After that the Dorado will be under every bit of floating junk you find off shore.

What Hotel are staying in? You may want to check on Thursday or Friday and see if they are open. The airport may also be closed. A few years ago the SJD was closed for commercial air due to wash outs for about 2 weeks.

I go the the East Cape area at least once a year for a fishing and diving trip and I've seen many roads in that region closed for as long as a month after a major storm. I usually stay at Rancho Leonero or Punta Colorada.

Ron M.
thanks for the info man.

looks like cabo got sideswiped instead of a direct hit. i plan on calling the hotel on friday to see how everything is. i wasnt planning on doing any fishing but i did have plans for snorkeling. do you think that will be affected.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/09/03/world/americas/03mexico.html?_r=1

By ELISABETH MALKIN
Published: September 2, 2009
MEXICO CITY - A weakening Hurricane Jimena blew up the west coast of the Baja California peninsula Wednesday, leaving the peninsula's drenched tourist resorts in its wake as it moved toward the region's desert wilderness.

The storm, which threatened at the beginning of the week to grow into a Category 5 storm, was downgraded early Wednesday to a Category 2 storm and then again at noon local time to a Category 1 hurricane, with maximum sustained winds of 90 mph.

By Wednesday morning, it had brought rain and wind to the region around Bahia Magdalena, famous as one of the winter breeding grounds for the grey whale.

The National Hurricane Center in Miami said that the storm would continue to weaken as it moved north northwest along the peninsula's west coast into central Baja Thursday.

Despite the storm's weakening, forecasters warned that the storm's heavy rain could produce flash floods and mudslides as well as flooding along the coast.

The tourist resort of Cabo San Lucas appeared to have escaped any major damage, according to a report from Notimex, the government-owned news agency. There were no reports of any injuries.

"There is no damage and we will open for business today," Carlos Carvajal, an employee at Cabo Wabo, a landmark bar in Cabo San Lucas, said by phone. "We're hoping for some tourists."

Local authorities reported that four thousand people remained in shelters in Cabo San Lucas and the adjoining town of San Jose del Cabo Wednesday because they live in regions at risk for mudslides.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Some of the sheltered bays on weak side of the storm should be OK. The areas that the storm surge hit will be cloudy for a few days to a week. If the water is on the dirty side wear a light wet suit if you plan to be around rocks or a reef. You can bump into stuff real easy any get cut up before you know it. Bring so Sting-ez or other topical treatment for jellyfish stings. I have noticed some places get a lot of small jellys after a storm. They won't hurt much but they will make you itch if you don't treat the stings after your dive. You may want to see if the Sea Lion dive trips are running in LaPaz, it's a real blast to swim them.

Ron M.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some of the sheltered bays on weak side of the storm should be OK. The areas that the storm surge hit will be cloudy for a few days to a week. If the water is on the dirty side wear a light wet suit if you plan to be around rocks or a reef. You can bump into stuff real easy any get cut up before you know it. Bring so Sting-ez or other topical treatment for jellyfish stings. I have noticed some places get a lot of small jellys after a storm. They won't hurt much but they will make you itch if you don't treat the stings after your dive. You may want to see if the Sea Lion dive trips are running in LaPaz, it's a real blast to swim them.

Ron M.
awesome, thanks for all the tips....

·
Premium Member
1,331 Posts
Bring so Sting-ez or other topical treatment for jellyfish stings.
Or just pee on it, gross but uber effective. I dive around Bimini and it always makes me laugh when the locals offer newbies a "secret" sting remedy.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.