Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here live in the area? I am here for work.

Nice place, from what I have seen. I am profoundly confused about how the highway system works around here. Where I am from, the roads are all on sort of a Grid, so its easier to get around.

I went to the zoo yesterday, that was awesome, you cant beat a free admission. The apes were pretty active, the gorilla was launching dirt and grass at some people. I got some in my hair. good times.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
If you get over to the other ,more friendly side, of the state, give me a holler and we can get some BBQ. Kansas City is where its at.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I stopped in there for about a half day this winter.

The food was good, and the arch was cool. But down by the greyhound station was a little sketchy. (I took a bus back to NY)

I can honestly say that was the first time I was solicited by a prostitute, and a guy selling drugs (that I didn't know anyway). A two-fer in less than an hour.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
i made the mistake of stopping for gas with a couple f buddies in east st louis. at midnight on our way to talladega. not cool. !2 in plexiglass windows on the gas station.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Virgil.....I'm originally from Belleville Illinois, just up state street from ESL. man when i worked there in the early 70's it was OK, my mom taught at the high school and i worked at a parts garage at 10th and state. man you would not want to go down there now it is a war zone. problem is that it is working it's way up the hill ( there is a natural bluff that separates IL from ESL) there were beautiful homes just up the hill on the east side, we originally live about 4 miles in Country Club Estates....classy place but went down hill fast in the 80's. due to all of the corruption in ESL, just do a search on their mayors, it is ghetto X 50! you could not get me to go down there now without an uparmored Humvee and a .50 cal!!! I quit the parts store when one of the guys got shot in the mouth with a 9mm and lived. the state we are in....??? :devilsidesmile:

It is really funny now the highway...I40 i think, goes OVER ESL!!! the only way you could get lost is coming down main past Our Lady Of The Snows (which has an amazing Passion Play with the Stations of the Cross at Christmas) although it gets tagged by gang bangers every year, seems that they wait for Christmas to out do each other....i am really trying not to be racial on this but i was the only white boy working at the parts shop and that was WAY BACK THEN!! My aunt who just recently passed away lived right on the edge of ESL, she was 87 years old and some punks did a home invasion on her. they pistol whipped her within an inch of her live for 5-10 dollars. she died. she made the best chicken and dumplings that your mouth has ever tasted. White, Black, Brown, Yellow, friggin punks all need to die slow and terrible deaths!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey Bomber,
I was born and lived there for 50 years. The layout is like an eastern city, so no grid. That's the bad news, the good news is jump on one of the highways and you can be almost anywhere in 20-30 minutes. I-55 & I-255 make a loop around the whole city, while I-44 and I-40 run east and west...add in the Innerbelt I-170 that runs north and south. The area north and west of downtown are rough, south and farther west are nice and safe. Go see the Arch and museum of westward expansion under the arch. Both are really cool.
If you like Italian food, go to "The Hill" area and you'll get some of the best around and not that expensive either. My kids still live in the area so I get up there once a month or so. How long are you staying?

Old Geek

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
You are the MAN for still living there. you don't specifically say where you are from but i graduated Belleville Township High School West in 72! when i went back for the last class reunion they were considering tearing the building down...what a shame, it was beautiful when i went back! times change...my mom and stepdad still live there.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Bomber,
I was born and lived there for 50 years. The layout is like an eastern city, so no grid. That's the bad news, the good news is jump on one of the highways and you can be almost anywhere in 20-30 minutes. I-55 & I-255 make a loop around the whole city, while I-44 and I-40 run east and west...add in the Innerbelt I-170 that runs north and south. The area north and west of downtown are rough, south and farther west are nice and safe. Go see the Arch and museum of westward expansion under the arch. Both are really cool.
If you like Italian food, go to "The Hill" area and you'll get some of the best around and not that expensive either. My kids still live in the area so I get up there once a month or so. How long are you staying?

Old Geek
I'm here til tomorrow. its been a good time, the food has been good and the people have been cool. I talked with a guy last night who has his MO CCW. We talked for awhile about the difference in laws between his state and mine. I might get to the arch, Iwould like to

·
Registered
186 Posts
You are the MAN for still living there. you don't specifically say where you are from but i graduated Belleville Township High School West in 72! when i went back for the last class reunion they were considering tearing the building down...what a shame, it was beautiful when i went back! times change...my mom and stepdad still live there.
Roadkill, I grew up between Dupo and Columbia. Graduated from Dupo High School in 1966 and BAC in 1983 after I got laid off from ConRail. I have a daughter that lives just down from the square in Beleville and another one in Dupo, so I make it up at least once a month to annoy the grandkids. Everyone is moving farther South or East. The weather has been great this summer, cool and not humid and you know how rare that is for St Louis.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.