I'm not allowed to vote

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Rachgier, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

I just got a letter in the mail today from the Board of Elections telling me that I am not eligible to vote in the primaries. It also said that my party affiliation couldn't be changed until after the general elections.

Curious, I called them up. When I moved I changed my address which also changed my polling place. The form said to leave my party affiliation line blank if I wasn't changing it, so I left it blank. I've been registered as a republican since I was 18 years old. According to them, there was a clerical error on their part and since it was already in the system, it couldn't be changed until after the generals and I am still ineligible to vote in the primary elections.

Now I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means but WTF?!

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Now if you were a black democrat........

3. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

Yep... they're already rigging the system. :mad:

4. Bull

Tell em your voting for your comatose brother, because you know he'd vote GOP..... Works for them.

5. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

The voter registration form should be used as a change of address form. Notices of change of address from registered voters received at least 20 days before a special, primary or general election by a county board of elections must be processed and entered in the records in time for that election.
    Change of Party Enrollment

The voter registration form should be used to change your party enrollment from one party to another or to enroll for the first time in a party. A change of enrollment received no later than 25 days before the general election shall be deposited in a sealed enrollment box and opened the first Tuesday following that general election and entered in the voter's registration record.

http://www.elections.ny.gov/VotingRegister.html

Makes me wonder if this is a legit letter or a scam

6. papataylor

papataylor Member

So what happens if you do show up to vote? Do they arrest you for performing your civic duty?

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

7. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Don't worry, there is NO one worth voting for on either side anyways!

8. There is always someone to vote against.

9. Rachgier

They said it was a clerical error that they can't fix until after the general elections. I'm assuming because i left the party line blank per the instructions, they "accidentally" changed my affiliation. I'm still going to show up and vote in the primary.

10. Back2School

Back2School Member

Yep I vote against those I dont like.

Like in the old Richard Prior movie I vote:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Just go to a bunch of different polling places and I bet atleast 1 will let you vote if you are wearing a DEM stick pin.

12. Bull

My guess is that they'd hand you three or four ballots if you ask.

13. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

I don't vote AGAINST anybody!
    I refuse to vote for the lesser of 2 EVILS!
    That is 1/2 the problem with America today!

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So you're only barred from voting in the Primary? So you don't get to help decide which republican gets on the ballot but you can still vote for him in the General.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. Rerun

Rerun Member

Contact Your local Magistrate and inform him what is going on.

He'll (usually) light a fire under the clerk to get your affiliation corrected in time for the primary.

eldar

16. tallbump

tallbump Supporting Member

Or, try contacting the Republican party campaign office in your area. I'm sure they'd love to hear about this. I know last election year the Democrats were running all over the place in PA to help people who were so adversely affected by PA passing the voter ID laws.

Heck,I'd be tempted to go to the media too. There has to be someone in your area that's not total sold out to the Left that would love to hear your story

17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Sorry Rach, I kinda dropped your name in the hat.
    We have to start somewhere........;)

Lol

18. Rachgier

Well here is the update. I went and voted. My name was on the register, so it went like clockwork regardless of what was in that letter.

The reason I was so irritated about not getting to vote in the primary is because the Dems failed to get a candidate on the line in time so there is no democratic choice for this congressional seat. The primary is serving to pick which republican will be running virtually unopposed in the general elections. Kind of makes the primary important in this case.

19. Try dressing like a zombie, dead people always get to vote...

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yeah, that makes total sense. ALWAYS let the worse of the two evils win by not voting for the lesser, it shows you care.:rolleyes:

Oh wait. No, as it turns out, it just shows...nothing. You just end up on the list of apathetic voters.

Or you could write someone in, showing that you are not apathetic, and do care. And of course, the greater of the two evils wins again.:rolleyes:

Sorry, I dislike your conclusion, though I do sympathize with the idea behind it.

Voting against someone isn't half the problem, the ENTIRE problem is the party system, which ensures that the only real viable choices are evil.

So...either get involved in the party and fix that (fat chance) or work to end that party influence by simply voting out incumbents every chance you get.

Which of course, means voting against someone, and almost never for someone.

In the end, voting against the lesser of the two evils might be the only real solution, until we make the parties so useless that they lose power.

Add in, a vote for an independent with a chance of winning might be a good alternative.