IMO a good reason for teachers to carry

Discussion in 'CCW & Open Carry' started by Kosh4095, Sep 24, 2014.

1. A Connecticut community is on high alert after a fox attacked people on an elementary school playground, biting at least four people, including a second-grade boy.

The fox on the run outside Broad Brook Elementary School in East Windsor Monday attacked 7-year-old Evan Witzke during an outdoor gym class. Physical education teacher Elissa Daniele risked her own safety for the students and ripped the animal off him.

"It was trying to gnaw at his wrists and ankles," Daniele told ABC News. "I knew I had to pin the fox down to get it away from my student to keep my student safe."

Daniele was teaching class around 11:30 a.m. when she noticed the fox sneak out of the woods and latch on to her student. Once Daniele was able to corral the fox, she wrapped a neck brace around its mouth to prevent it from biting. She then trapped it under a recycling bin.

Daniele and a staffer were also bitten. It’s unclear whether the fox is rabid.

Authorities believe the same fox also attacked nearby resident Danielle Bopko earlier that day while she was on her way to breakfast to celebrate getting engaged less than 24 hours before coming face-to-face with the animal.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/fox-attacks-2nd-grader-connecticut-playground/story?id=25691369

2. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

A good reason for teachers to carry? No way. The fox had already latched on to students by the time anything could even be contemplated. She's not Bat Masterson or The Lone Ranger.

Even if she had been armed with a firearm, the course of action she took would still have made the most sense.

Now, maybe if it'd been a rabid cougar or something...

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Fox attacks a kid on a busy playground in the middle of the day and doesn't run when bigger opposition arrives? Pretty clear to me. One of the most contagious rabies there is. Daughter had to go through fox rabies treatments. Not fun.

4. Glad your not on our school board !

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I'm just being honest and realistic. There are lots of good reasons for a teacher to carry. A rabid Fox in the middle of the children is not one of them.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

Last edited: Sep 25, 2014
  6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Seriously. I'm not shooting at a fox with kids around, before during or after the attack. Rabies treatments suck, a bullet in the wrong place sucks more.:cool:

And no, I'm not worried about missing the fox, I'm worried about where the bullet goes after it exits the 6-8 inch thick fox.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  7. 100% agree. the only way im shooting is if everyone is out of the way clear, and im putting the fox down.

Imagine children on a play ground in every direction. you are going to be spraying a fast moving fox in the direction where kids could be?

8. I don't know where spraying the playground came in or shooting the fox while kids were around but this is the only forum where it went there

LOL

9. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    That's where.

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's because those other forums all think they are such excellent shots with their amazingly accurate high dollar guns or their 3 hours per day training regimen that nothing bad could ever happen.:D

We, on the other hand, are mature thinking individuals with experience in risk/reward scenarios, and the ability to see reality as it exists, and not only as we want it to be.;)

I kid...but I'd almost bet I'm more right than wrong?

11. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

I thought it was because we were all such cheap bastards, that we wouldn't waste a bullet, shooting at something we couldn't guarantee a hit on..........