Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK i scored a chunk of 9030 lexan polycarbonate sheet the other day. its 12'x12'x1/2". i started with rimfires.
i shot everything at 5 feet with my P22 with 5" bbl. my chrono isnt working so no velocity numbers today.

CCI CB just bouncd off and left a small dent

CCI short LRN stardard velocity left a pretty good hole, but still bounced back out

Federal high velocity HP no rear deformation, but dug in about 1/4"

Two impacts on this one Remy yellow jacket high velocity on the left and CCI HV short on the right. the short bounced out and the yellow jacket stayed in, the yeloow jacket dug in about 1/4", the short less that 1/8" slight rear deformation on both but less that 1/16"

rear view

overall

if i can afford it im going to order some more of this stuff to play with bigger calibers on, but its 30-odd bucks for a 12x12 piece so it going to have ot wait a while.

SW

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Wow, that's cool. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I want to see what the damage is from 7.62x39 on Lexan. I wonder if it would penetrate through both sides.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ive been working with usplastics on getting some 12x12 peices of 1" thick 9030 for testing, bit price is an issue. 1" think 9030 id something on the order of 1100$ for a 4x8 sheet and they dont seem interested in cutting up one sheet for me.

SW

·
Registered
666 Posts
I was watching an episode of Mythbusters where they were trying to make a bulletproof material. They took those sheets of tile that you can get at Lowes 12X12 little tiles. Then made them into a brick and they stopped everything they shot at it except for 12 ga slug and .223. It stopped all pistol calibers.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
if you look at what those 12x12 tiles cost in finished form, lexan is cheaper. when you figure in the cost fo the tile squares, fibergalss matting and expoy they used you're looking at 40+$ per 12x12 tile, plus time and effort to assemble.

SW

·
Registered
666 Posts
What does the lexan cost?

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1/2 inch lexan that does about the same as the "jamie tile" is aroud 20-25$ per square foot and it stops about the same thing. i never got a quote back on the 1" so ill probably just bond two 1/2 sheet together.

SW

·
Premium Member
10,372 Posts
Cool little test you did there.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
1/2 inch lexan that does about the same as the "jamie tile" is aroud 20-25$ per square foot and it stops about the same thing. i never got a quote back on the 1" so ill probably just bond two 1/2 sheet together.

SW
so what are you planning on bulletproofing?

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

SW
i have a window at ground level thats been kicked out twice, shattered with mower thrown rocks once and shot with a pellet rifle once (but the idiot kid paid for that one). i want something literally bulletproof to replace the glass with.

SW

·
Banned
10,232 Posts

SW
i have a window at ground level thats been kicked out twice, shattered with mower thrown rocks once and shot with a pellet rifle once (but the idiot kid paid for that one). i want something literally bulletproof to replace the glass with.

SW
cool man. I myself shot out a neighbors window with a pellet gun when i was a kid. I missed the little bird I was aiming it. I also had to pay for it.

·
Banned
9,253 Posts

SW

SW
cool man. I myself shot out a neighbors window with a pellet gun when i was a kid. I missed the little bird I was aiming it. I also had to pay for it.
I shot out a neighbors window with a pellet gun when I was 21. I also had to pay for it.

·
Premium Member
36,049 Posts
Take 2 sheets of thick Lexan. Join them at a 45 degree angle. Then point the gun towards the point.
Those guys are long gone.

But I'm curious..what happens when you do that?:confused:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts