Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As you are all aware personal messages are a very important part of life on any forum, of any subject. It is almost universally accepted that when you receive a PM from another member and you are not online, an email will be sent from the site informing you of the new PM you just received.

In the past, the text of the PM you were sent would be included in this email notification. Also included in this email would be instructions to NOT REPLY to the email. It would appear that some people were unable to follow those simple instructions. Since all emails from this forum are sent through the site email account, [email protected], if you reply to this email notification, you will be sending a copy of your PM to the admin email.

I have taken the following steps to rectify this situation;

1. The text of pm's will no longer be included in email notifications. You will receive a message informing you that you have received a pm, but it will no longer contain the actual pm message in it.

2. I am reminding everyone for your privacy and the interest of fostering trust between members and the staff, DO NOT REPLY TO EMAIL NOTIFICATIONS FROM YOUR EMAIL INBOX! Log into the forum to reply to PM's.

Again the only time any of your pm's have been open have been IF you reply to the email notification you received from the forum. If you have not replied to the email notification, then this situation does not apply to you.

Thank you for your time.

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
Is there any way it could be optional? I freaking hate getting those messages on my blackberry saying I have PMs on other forums but being unable to read it...one of my favorite things about HPFF was the ability to read PMs straight from my BB inbox without having to use the slow, wonky Internet access to read the PMs.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there any way it could be optional? I freaking hate getting those messages on my blackberry saying I have PMs on other forums but being unable to read it...one of my favorite things about HPFF was the ability to read PMs straight from my BB inbox without having to use the slow, wonky Internet access to read the PMs.
Sure, people could quit hitting reply and I'd quit seeing them and then everyone would be happy. I'll let you know as soon as everyone starts reading the instructions,..

·
Banned
5,315 Posts
I am struggling with this word "Instructions" What does this word mean... I can't seem to find it in my Webster's Man Edition.

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
I am struggling with this word "Instructions" What does this word mean... I can't seem to find it in my Webster's Man Edition.
It's from Old Wife language meaning to dictate, order, harp, badger!! Also called at times the Honey Dew list :grinwink: :laugh:

·
Banned
5,315 Posts

So its kinda like NAG... got it!

·
U.S.S.
2,267 Posts
Core, Why not set the reply address for the email to a non-existent one? That way if they hit reply in the e-mail it will bounce.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Core, Why not set the reply address for the email to a non-existent one? That way if they hit reply in the e-mail it will bounce.
Because the system uses the same address to send the notifications in the first place. If I set it to a non-existent one, you wouldn't get notifications at all. There is currently no provision in the software, to set a separate reply address. The Dev's are talking about it, but have not implemented anything yet, and there is no telling when or if they will.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts