Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I just returned from my second trip to the range with my 995, and I'm more impressed than I was the first time. This carbine is really accurate, but I don't have to tell you folks that. While I was leaving the range I did the bad thing of browsing around at stuff and ended up buying a Pachmayr slip on in the small size so as to minimize the small amount of recoil and give just a tiny bit of additional length. Probably unnecessary, but that's what browsing does. With the way things stand now, I just don't see why I need an ATI stock even though they are pretty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
small amount of recoil? i would say there was a little more than a small amount. maybe i'm just a nancy, idk. i damn near broke myself when I shot a 30-06, but even the 995 fresh out of the box was uncomfortable. maybe i'm holding the thing wrong.
Anyone got pointers on shooting the 995? do you hold it against yourself firmly? do you use your hand gripping to try to hold as much of the recoil force as possible? idk what i'm doing wrong or if there's just something wrong with me.

·
1,792 Posts
995 has more felt recoil then an AR15.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've only shot one AR and it seemed like it had more recoil than the 995, but neither one of these is unpleasant. I probably have not had that much experience with center fire rifle shooting since it was all with an M1 or M1 carbine in the army. But this 995 is a nice carbine. However I've shot some nasty pistols and owned some that were paperweights.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Heck, a lady friend of my brothers bought a 995 and had never shot a gun before.

We were at the range and she backed out afraid to fire it.

I pulled an old trick my DI did with the M16, I said watch this, put the buttstock against my forehead and popped off a few rounds.

I told her, would I do that if it kicked hard?

She came over to the table, finally shot off a few rounds and decided she liked the carbine, and shot probably 20 rounds before we left.

Since then my brother said she has been to the range a couple of more times and has shot another 100 rounds or so. And is hitting pretty decent at 50 yds with a red dot.

I can hold the 995 like a pistol and shoot it no problem.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Thayldt21, it has been a long time since I shot an M-16, but I think you are correct. The only signifigant recoil I remember associated with that gun was on full auto.
The recoil of the 995 is hardly worth mentioning though.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
One thing is to not hold your arm outward(flat 90 deg. angle). Keep it in tight toward your body but not too much(about a 45 deg. angle)
If you hold your arm out flatter you will feel it more since the muscles are stretched out more & you have less strength to resist the recoil.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
To be fair it seems like I hear that the 5.56mm ammo they are using now a days is more potent in the stuff we older guys shot.

·
Registered
247 Posts
To be fair it seems like I hear that the 5.56mm ammo they are using now a days is more potent in the stuff we older guys shot.
That may be. It has been a long time since I was in the Army so I couldn't say.

Verdun, I have the original factory stock on my 995.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Original.
To be honest, I don't like the look of the ATI/Storm stocks.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Original, the ATI does not tickle my fancy. Not that I have a choice with the 4095's

I may get one of the new Hi Point designed stocks when they come out, depending on the reviews of fellow forum members.

·
Registered
64 Posts
The day I shot my 4095 I shot 25 rounds of hot 180 grain from my 30-06. The 4095 was a total pussycat after that. I'm going to shoot the HP first next time I go so I can really enjoy it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
My 995 is ATI'd with butt pad and factory compensator, It has less recoil than my hi powered pellet gun!!! I dont know which helps the most, but she feels like the kick was almost cut in half with these upgrades. I know thye increased LOP makes a comfort difference.Also I dont know if it just wishful thinking/imagination, but she sounds much quieter with the comp on. All Ive put thru it are WWBs, Rem UMC, and nasty Blazers and not a prob!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We ran my stock 995 w/red dot thru an IDPA Town. If you have done IDPA you will know what I mean. Accurate dbl taps on BG Targets using both eyes open with COM hits. Next was the popper drill, with dbl tap hits with no problem.

Yep, they are accurate enough for me and impressive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
We ran my stock 995 w/red dot thru an IDPA Town. If you have done IDPA you will know what I mean. Accurate dbl taps on BG Targets using both eyes open with COM hits. Next was the popper drill, with dbl tap hits with no problem.

Yep, they are accurate enough for me and impressive.
I would love to do that...

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
well...considering that i like to shoot large caliber rifles (45-70,470 ne,7.62x54r)....i realy dont notice the recoil on my 995

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.