Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So has anybody used it? I was looking at it today and it says it is specaily made for cast bullets. Being that other then rifle thats all i use i was thinking about trying some. also it is only 12.99 a can. I use Univ. clays right now and i am very happy with it but it is around 20.00 a can what can i say i am thrifty (or as my wife calls it cheap)

·
Registered
17,917 Posts
I've never used it, but I've been interested in trying it with my cast lead boolits.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I've never tried it either. Trail Boss was developed for Cowboy Action Shooters, and as I understand it, performs closer to black powder than smokeless. It may not be as economical as you think as loads will require more grains of powder for cycling autos. Might run into case capicity issues?

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Ok the deal with trail boss is its made to be bulky to fill large cases in classic cast bullet rifles like 45-70, 38-55, 42-40 etc. it also works in rounds like 38 spl, 357 mag, 44 spl/mag and other pistol rounds. ive experimented with it in 308 and 30-06 but it doesnt have the power to cycle autoloading rifles properly. i havent tried it in shotgun shells yet but that day is coming. it performs best under cast bullets of virtually any weight. ive gone as small as 124 grains all teh way up to 505 grs. the reason it is so cheap compared to other powders is due to teh bulk, only 9 oz can be fit into a stnadard 1 lb container. charges vary from 18 grs for my 308 experiments to 3.5 grs for 38 spl target loads. 18 grs filled a 308 case all the way up to teh neck to give you an idea of bulk. i like it for soft shooting plinking rounds in big guns that normally pound you pretty hard. i can shoot 500 gr 45-70 loads all day and never get sore whereas normal loads, firing 45 rounds in a match is literal punishment by the end of the day.

SW

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats great thanks for the info. I was thinking about trying it for my 45lc, and 38spl loads. Maybe i will have to pick some up. thanks again. -Bob

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
trail boss excell's in 38spl and 45lc, i use it in 45lc a lot, ive used it from 155 swc lead to 255gr rnfp , i like it alot, big pressure differece make great lite rifle loads in the45/70 and 30/30's

1 - 6 of 6 Posts