Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...im looking to get my self a rifle. My first one! I've been lookin at 30-06..to expensive. SKS..getting pretty hard to find ammo for. at least in my neck of the woods. Basically I've been looking for a relatively priced rifle that ill be able to get ammo for all the time. So...i've kinda been leaning towards a .22 I know they arent way powerfull but ammo is dirt cheap and you can always find .22's anywhere you go. and i figure im a pretty good shot anyways and thats 90% of shooting. I just dont know what to do. Ive shot a wide verity of rifles from .22 to....300 mag. 270 223 264 30-30 30-06....the list goes on. Some of which are even fun to shoot after a couple shots....SOME ONE HELP MEEE! :blink: :'(
thanks

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
You could always get a Mosin if you want something with power that's still decently cheap to shoot. Or if you want a .22 Savage makes good bolt actions at reasonable prices, and of course the 10/22 has to be recommended in the semi-auto category.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I agree with everything 47_Mason_47 says.

The Mosin is a good choice, as is a .22.

I own a Ruger 10/22, and I couldn't be happier! It's hella fun to shoot, and Walmart has the Winchester bulk 500 rounds for $12.97. Federal usually runs ~ $18 for bulk... And I grab a few boxes of Yellowjackets here or there. Shoot all day and night, and it doesn't kill the bank.

Another route might be .17 HMR. Those things pack quite a punch, and the ammo hasn't skyrocketed out of reach.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Mosin or a 10/22

You can get a mosin for under a c bill, and they will fire as long as you can keep turning the bolt. Although with the steel buttplate, it hurts. Get a limbsaver.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
nice thanks for the info. looked all of them up. the mosin is pretty sick takes 7.63/54 right...i do have about 1k rounds of that so thatd be a good investment. and the 10/22 is awesome..for a 22. i guess its the easiest to upgrade and basically make it do what ever you want. hmmm. fist i might have to sell one of my c9...or trade it.

and other affordable recomendations out there. i dont think ive ever actually seen a 17 hmr but that looks pretty powerfull.
oh and anyone know how many rounds the Mosin holds. i know its bolt action..holds what probably five rounds?

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
.223 ammo can be had locally for $8 a box and .308 ammo can still be had for about $8.50 a box wolf of course but cheaper to shoot than .270 .30-30 30-06 etc (one of those would definitely be my choice)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
all the 223 and 308's i looked at were a little to pricey. maybe if i happened to find a good deal.

Now, i have a bunch of rounds ive inherited and not quite sure what kinda of rifle they'd go in...
7.62/54 (only gun i know is the Mosin)
and 264....i have no idea.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I have a Savage 93 BTVS in 17HMR, its the most accurate rifle I own. The 17 HMR is a great varmit/pest round out to 150 yards or so. I get sub 1 inch groups all day at 100 yards. Savage also makes a 22lr and a 22 mag in the same configuration.

You can't go wrong with a good quality accurate rimfire and a good scope. Its fun to shoot and not too expensive.

Ron M.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have been leaning tward a 223 bolt action I have seen both a Marlin and Stephens going to about 300.00. I like 223 its not gawdawful expensive has good range and you can deer hunt with it if you stick to smaller whitetail.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Mosins have a 5-round internal magazine. Depending on model and condition, they are accurate out to ~2000 meters. They shoot the generously battle-proven 7.62X54r, which, if you have yet to see in person, is a very intimidating round. Ammunition is still available, usually at gun shows or online though, especially for the best prices. They are a blast to shoot also. Went to the shooting range with Dad's M44 and 91/30. You could here, "Pop, papopop, bang, BOOM, bang, papop, BOOM, pop, bangbabang, BOOM, bang, popop, bangbang, BOOM, bang, BOOM." If you're not worried about value then you can get kits to tap for a scope and add a bent bolt handle, there are also various mounts that replace the rear site for use with Extended/Unlimited Eye-Relief scopes. I am still waiting to both find a good deal on, and have available funds for, a nice mosin, preferably a 91/30.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Broomhead. i think thats what im leaning towards getting a 91/30 I have seen the rounds as i mentioned i inherited about 100 rounds of 7.62x54, so thats kind of another bit of leverage. i also mentioned i got 264 rounds but no clue what they go in. in addition i have a few hundred rounds of 30-06 but my pops has a 30-06 and so does my roommate and they can get pricey. so yeah i appreciate everyones advice and i think im goin the Mosin path...but who knows ill see tomorrow when i hold one. :D

if anyone else has any more ideas feel free to put your two cents in. im not yet 100% sold so if you think there is something better let me know.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I have a Savage 93 BTVS in 17HMR, its the most accurate rifle I own. The 17 HMR is a great varmit/pest round out to 150 yards or so. I get sub 1 inch groups all day at 100 yards. Savage also makes a 22lr and a 22 mag in the same configuration.

You can't go wrong with a good quality accurate rimfire and a good scope. Its fun to shoot and not too expensive.

Ron M.
MAN those are hot I hate being left handed :mad:

·
Registered
799 Posts
Awww man I just checked the Savage site and they do make that exact rifle with a LH configuration. Now I am on a mission to find one I hope you are happy with yourself.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Bass Pro and Gander Mountain will order one for you. My wife is a lefty and has the blue 22lr version.

Ron M.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Well hopfully I will be hiting the gunshow in Tulsa this weekend maybe Ill get lucky.  If not I may have to make a pilgimage out to Bass-pro.  I have been looking for a 22 bolt and I think Im in love That  stock.
If you dont mind me asking what did that badboy set you back?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
I picked up at Academy for 365 and 195 for the Burris 4.5-14 Timberline scope.

Ron M.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think i found what im goin to get. I looked and held a 81/30 nagant and it just wasnt that comfy for me. it was 119.99. i ended up finding a used Remington 270 with a little crappy weave mount fixed scope for 300.00. felt to nice and sturdy. im thinking im goin to 270 route now. Price isnt so much a big deal anymore thanks to layaway.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I think i found what im goin to get. I looked and held a 81/30 nagant and it just wasnt that comfy for me. it was 119.99. i ended up finding a used Remington 270 with a little crappy weave mount fixed scope for 300.00. felt to nice and sturdy. im thinking im goin to 270 route now. Price isnt so much a big deal anymore thanks to layaway.
770?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No i was looking at the 770's i ended up getting the Rem 721. its an older model but i asked some rifle "folk" in there lookin at 270's and i was holding the 721 i was (thinking of buying at the time), and they basically said id be retarded if i didnt get it for that price. they were waiting to see what i was going to do and when i said id take it they were like "Damn! If you weren't going to get it was going to." and it seemed the most comfy of all the ones i held so... :D

·
Registered
74 Posts

Ron M.
MAN those are hot I hate being left handed :mad:
You and me both ! :'(

1 - 20 of 22 Posts