Incident averted?

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Kelotravolski, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Kelotravolski

Kelotravolski Member

I was out for a late night walk and decided to take a short cut through a dark parking lot between an apartment complex and a medical center. The medical center blocks the view of the lot from the nearest road so it was a pretty stupid thing to do. So I am walking through this area when a rather large guy in a hoodie approaches me with his head lowered so I cannot see his face. I slowly reached my hand across my chest and grabbed hold of the handle of my C9 with it still in the holster. It could have been interpreted as a grab for a gun but I tried to make it look as much like an itch as possible. Guy turns around 180 degrees and walks across the parking lot and then runs across the road into a construction zone. Anyway who knows what would have happened if I had just kept walking maybe I scared the crap out of some poor sucker who was taking a stupid short cut back to his apartment complex or maybe I prevented myself from being mugged. Whichever things seemed to turn out just fine.

2. elguapo

elguapo Guest

You did good.
    A possible threat was averted.
    Nothing to feel bad about.

As a side note? dont go walking around in strange areas, and that wont happen... Well, not for certain, sometimes bad looks for good people...

3. Sounds like it was a mugging that ended up not happening.
    Good thinking man.

4. ccw strikes again I'd say.

5. +1 on what he sad I just got back with my CCW in hand 8)

6. Or, the guy is on another forum telling how he was walking through a parking lot and was approached by a guy who was reaching for a gun to rob him. But, luckily, he ran before the robber got too close. :lol:

7. neothespian

neothespian Member

Quite interesting :p Then again, half of all conflict deals in interpretation of perspective....

8. rodka

rodka Member

good job can never be too carefull.

9. browwiw

browwiw Member

And what's the moral of this story? Don't take short cuts through poorly lit parking lots in the middle of the night.

I mean, seriously, am I the only one that remembers the little PSA at the end of every episode of GI JOE? Apples are a healthier choice than chocolate, don't hide in abandoned refrigerators, don't approach stray dogs, don't play with downed power lines and don't, I repeat, don't take short cuts through poorly lit, unknown territory.

I'm sorry Kelotravolski, but you gain a negative level for putting yourself in a potentially dangerous situation.

10. I carry even when I walk through known territory; namely, when I take the dog for a walk. I'm all around the neighborhood in the dark, and I'm always on guard. But, I should not be afraid to walk down the street in my own neighborhood, and you should not be afraid to walk through a parking lot in your own town.

But, I understand the PSA issue in using good judgement... I don't go to isolated ATMs alone at night either.