Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

by True Pearce on July 16, 2020

The SIG SAUER 716i TREAD rifle may seem like a standard run of the mill AR-10 but its origins are much more military. It's basically a civilian version of a battle rifle that was part of a 2019, 72,000 rifle contract to the country of India. The rifles sent to India were select-fire (full auto capable) and every one of them was tested in full-auto-mode before leaving SIG because they had to meet strict requirements for rate-of-fire.

Just in the last week, India has ordered another 72,000 SIG 716 rifles to boost its counter-terrorism operations and to be used by troops preparing for border boundary issues with China.

You do the math on how many rounds have been test-fired through this platform if every rifle was tested by SIG before leaving the factory and then tested by India before accepting fulfillment of the contract. This is a well-tested rifle! In fact, there are likely no rifles made in the last two years that have received this kind of testing from the factory.

I was visiting the SIG factory in December of 2019 and saw the crates of 716 SIG rifles and P-MAGS being prepared for shipment. It was fascinating, to say the least.

Because SIG was already tooled up, they changed a few minor things that actually improved accuracy, and created the 716i 308 TREAD. It's a quality battle rifle at an almost budget price partly because they got really good at making them.

If you're already familiar with the TREAD line, all other TREAD parts and accessories work with the 308 TREAD. If you're not familiar with TREAD, in a nutshell, any accessory with the TREAD logo will fit and work on your rifle.

Read more at: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/sig-716i-tread-most-tested-battle-rifle-of-2019-2020-reviewed/

Reactions: Rabidwookie

·
Premium Member
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
These Sig Sauer rifles look good except the triggers. An eight pound trigger pull is too much for a long gun. Five pound maximum for a long gun is decent in my opinion.

I like the 7.62 x 51. It's a great cartridge.

Edit: A trigger that is a little over four pounds for a rifle is good.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts