Indy's Get Home Bag (56K WARNING)

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Oct - 2009)' started by IndianasFinest, Mar 24, 2008.

1. I guess I'll start by saying this is my bag that stays in my truck at all times. I keep a lot of stuff in the back of my Explorer that supplements some of this bag which I will list later. I will also post a link to what my FAK consists of instead of completely breaking down my entire setup (sorry I'm lazy). This is my current winter load which changes with the seasons. I work 8 miles from my house which is mostly residential, and cross one small river. Total weight with water is 34lbs. I'd appreciate any input/feedback good or bad, because after all knowledge is power.

Items kept in my truck not photographed:
    -Columbia system jacket
    -4 Gallons water
    -Canned food (beans, vienna sausages,spam, etc.)
    -Gortex boots
    -Wool blankets
    -Sleeping mat
    -75 Rounds 9mm
    -Backup Hi-Point 9mm w/2 mags (I EDC my Glock 19)

My FAK is based off my BOB's kit, but scaled down appropriatly.
    http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24958&highlight=

This is my complete bag:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

External contents:
    -MOLLE II Patrol pack
    -2 quart insulated canteen with purification tabs on the side
    -SAW ammo pouch with most of my food (list to follow)
    -Insulated Nalgene carrier with wide mouth Nalgene, and fitted stainless cup
    -5'x8' tarp
    -2 liter hydration system
    -MSS intermediate bag w/ Gortex Bivy
    -Coast V2 powerchip flashlight
    -2 Baby biners
    -Columbia compass with thermometer
    -Pealess whistle with lanyard

Food break down:
    -2 Jack Links beef n cheese
    -2 Jack links strips
    -2 Cliff bars
    -3 Tuna pouches
    -2 Instant soup
    -2 Hot choclate mix
    -1 Bag o' trail mix
    -1 LMF Spork
    -3 Jiff "To go" cups of peanut butter
    -10 Tortillas (shelf stable till 10/08 in main pouch)
    -6 Mayo packets (rotated by season)
    -6 Grape jelly packets (rotated by season)

Front pouch contents:

[​IMG]

-Leather work gloves
    -FAK (see above for contents)
    -Leather belt
    -2 pair smart wool socks
    -1 pair "40 Below" socks with polypro liners
    -2 pair boxers
    -4 spare flashlight batteries
    -Notepad with 2 pens
    -Maps
    -GI extreme wet weather rain suit
    -Approx. 60' duct tape
    -2 Ameriglo chem lights

Main pack items:

[​IMG]
    Personal hygene:
    -2 packs of 8 "Comabt Bath"
    -Ziploc with:
    Deodorant
    Toothpaste
    Toothbrush
    Hankercheif
    Toilet paper
    Small bar of soap

[​IMG]
    Clothing:

-1 Polypro long underwear set
    -2 Moisture wicking t-shirts
    -1 Winter hat
    -1 Pair of gloves
    -1 Fleece jacket
    -1 Pair tan BDU pants

Tools, and other stuff:

[​IMG]

-100' Paracord
    -4 Hand warmers
    -6 Thick aluminum tent stakes
    -Grundig AM/FM radio with weather channels, and extra batteries in case
    -Winchester multi-tool
    -Cheap head lamp
    -Coke can stove (fuel in container taped shut, in ziploc, inside empty nalgene on outside of pack)
    -Ontario knife company knife with sharpening stone
    -Fire making bag including:
    4 ziptied lighters
    MFS
    Pill bottle (no label) with 8 or so vasolined cotton balls
    Small bag of cotton dryer lint
    Tube of waterproof matches with strikers

2. How much does it weigh? Also, how much did it cost to put it together? Looks like a really good setup you have there my friend.

3. 34lbs as stated with a 2 liter bladder, 32 oz Nalgene, and 2 quart canteen filled with water. Of course during the winter months this amount of water is not neccessary so I can tailor as needed. I think I have about $225 in this bag bought over time.

4. Sorry for the miscommunication, but I wanted to know what the weight was without the water. :oops: Thanks buddy. I like that kit, it's nice.

5. Ah I see.... On my junky bathroom scale it comes in at 26lbs dry.

6. Nice setup man. Your bag is way more set-up than mine. I might suggest a better multi-tool. All the winchester knives and such I have used in the past have been pretty cheap tools, not sure about their multi-tools though. Also I didn't see anything for a shelter. I would imagine it gets pretty cold in Indiana. If you have this as part of the other gear that you mentioned than I apoligize.

7. Yea the multi-tool isn't the greatest. I have a Leatherman blast in my BOB that is going to be moved to this bag when the new Leatherman Skeletool is finally available (and cheaper). As far as shelter goes my sleeping bag is a GI issue modular sleep system (MSS) it has a weather proof gortex bivy cover that is desinged to protect you from the elements. Combineing this with my tarp, paracord, and tent stakes gives me a pretty solid shelter. This is all listed, and packed inside this bag not in my truck. :D

8. My bad totally missed the tarp listed in comments. Great set-up gives me some ideas. Will have to post mine later if I get a chance.

9. very nice. I carry a lot of the same stuff you do(but I am lacking in the quality dept of some things) but my bag is an old school junker. I just can't afford to buy a good one for this purpose.

Anybody happen to have an old small/medium alice layin around?

10. Nice setup and has me thinking I need to do the same thing.

I do have one question...what is BOB?

Seen that used several times.

Again nice setup and I just went to Cheaper than Dirt to order a catalog. Been a long time since I got one. I was sure that I placed an order for a catalog about a two weeks ago but haven't gotten it yet.

11. Military surplus is deff. the way to go. I bought this bag locally for $35. You can buy new looking ALICE packs without the frame for as cheap as $10 off ebay. I bought a complete ALICE with the frame for my Fiancee's BOB for $25 including shipping, and I would swear it was brand new. My BOB is again military surplus. It is a MOLLE II rifleman pack bought off ebay for $60. Theres great deals out there if you watch for em !

12. BOB is a acronym for Bail Out Bag. Something that you would grab, and go in an emergency situation that could sustain you or your family for typically 72 hours. Similar to a Get Home Bag, but geared more toward long term sustainment.

13. You know some of those items...like the t-shirts...you could put into a vaccum sealer bag and really shrink it down and get yourself more space for any other items you may need.

The ziplock bags are good but you just can't get all the air out. But they are reusable where the vaccum sealer bags are not...well they could be but you would have to put smaller items in them if you reused them.

Just an idea I thought I would share.

14. Thanks! I wondered what that meant.

Oh, another idea...get one of those AM/FM/Shortwave with WX station crank up type radios. I have one of them and they are great.

Maybe even a FRS/GMRS radio as well. Of course with those you will need batteries.

15. There is a Grundig mini AM/FM radio with weather channels pictured in the last shot thats in this bag. I also have a CB in my truck, and usually have my police radio for my department while I'm driving as well.

16. 69burbon

69burbon Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the new Ziplock vacuum bags? They look like they would seal up really good and would be very reusable. I have a few of the "Space bags" but you cannot seal them back up without a vacuum.

The Ziplock ones have a hand held pump.

I am actually in the process of redoing my BOB. I have the large ALICE pack and it is nice but almost too big.

By the way if any of you have not tried those Cliff Bars, I highly recommend them. Way better than your typical energy bar. My wife found that they just introduced a carrot cake.

17. Very good idea, and one that I use in my bag. I keep radios and other stuff I don't want wet in one bag and my clothing in another. The first is the type you can squeeze air out of the the clothing one is the vaccume type.

FYI: I could never find a pack of these things with 2-3 travel type bags in it. I bought a set with 2 large and one travel type. Later at k-mart(of all places) I found the travel bag only type. :wink:

18. Carbin8r

Carbin8r Member

There are version of those "space bags" with one-way valves. They allow you to roll them up, squeezing out the air as you do so which effectively seals them and significantly reduces their volume.

19. AndrewST

AndrewST Guest

Nice looking bag, the one suggestion I would like to make is to change your knife. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like you have one of those hollow handled "survival" knives.

The issue with them is they are not a full tang knife and can break extremely easily where the handle and blade meet. All the contents that fit in the handle will easily fit in other small containers. Than get yourself a nice knife that is full tang and will hold up to the rigors of a SHTF situation.

This guy seems a little odd, but has great information on knives.

http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Survival.htm

20. I agree about the knife. Definitely need to add a full tang or replace the one. Nothing wrong with having two knives though. I like the Air Force survival knife myself, it has a hex head butt that can be used as a hammer in an emergency and has it's own sharpening stone. You can find them at www.campingsurvival.com and they have an inexpensive one as well as the authentic one.