Inexpensive 22

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by mr_flintstone, Feb 21, 2015.

1. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

Sitting inside through all the snow and ice, I've had (probably too much) time to look at guns on the Internet. Since I don't have one right now, I find myself wanting a 22 semiauto rifle. I don't want to spend too much, just something to plink and occasionally dispatch a small rodent or two. Right now I find myself drawn to the Marlin model 60 and the Ruger 10/22, but I'm not tied to them in any way. I would prefer a wood stock though.

It's been a while since I had a 22 so I'd like some recommendations.

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Do you want a single shot or like you said 10/22 type? Single shots are about $90 used if in good condition. But 10/22 aren't that much either.

3. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Pretty self explanatory.

4. moona11

Might change his mind:p . And I skimmed though it. :-D

5. Both are good guns. Wood stock marlin is 168 at my walmart. And no mags to loose. 15rd.

10/22 is $225 and has options to buy 25rd

6. I have both a Marlin 60 and a Ruger 10/22. You can pick up a used Marlin for less than a used Ruger but either way you can't go wrong.

7. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

If you just want a good cheap plinker the marlin is most likely the better choice. I prefer the 10/22 as you can modify it to your hearts content.

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The Marlin has always been the better rifle, the Ruger has become the rifle everyone spends even more money to make it better, and it can be individualized better.

The Remington 597 is a good solid gun, with really good hi cap mags, though not as much aftermarket as the Ruger..but they have lost favor, I'm not sure why. Could be the Remarlingtonaster thing.

The Mossberg Plinkster is the cheapest gun, it's a good one, but pretty minimal in many ways. I like mine

The Savage 64 is another one, it's not as popular as the bolt action Savage, which most call the most accurate one out there. It's often cheaper than most of the guns, and they are easier to clean and more accurate than the others, and mag fed too.

9. mr_flintstone

mr_flintstone Supporting Member

Several years ago I had a Remington Speedmaster. I kind of like the tube over the magazine, but it seems like I heard a few years ago that the QC on the Marlins wasn't what it used to be. Are the new ones any good?

10. wvwoodsman

wvwoodsman Member

I just bought a GSG 522 for $235.00 on Gunbroker and its a really fun plinking gun.I go thru rounds in it like the 995ts !

11. SWO1

SWO1 Member

Seems like the QC has improved over the last couple of years. The Model 60 gets nothing but favorable reviews on other forums. Accuracy is NOT matched by the stock 10/22. But if you want to add on the Kitchen sink and disco lights and a cloths line the 10/22 is the way to go.

12. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

Where do you find a good single shot for $90? I've been looking for one for over a year for a grandson (required in the boy scouts). I can find the youth models but a full sized single shot is a rare bird indeed. My Dad bought me a new one in 1960 from Sears Roebuck for $10.88.

13. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

I would love a Remington Nylon they look like a toy.

14. Branth

Branth Member

Why is the Model 60 a better gun? I've always heard the Ruger is the top of the line for mainstream semi-auto .22s (not including more special purpose stuff like the S&W M&P15-22)

15. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Get a Mossberg 702 plinkster. I got 2 used for $150.00. Great shootin little rifles! Not many accy's like the 10/22, but still super accurate and Fun Fun Fun!

16. moona11

I got a savage cub from sheelds. Its a tac driver just ask my son.

17. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    If you're sure you aren't going to want to add anything or trick the rifle out (and if you're okay with tubes) the Marlin is the way to go. The 10/22, on the other hand, is Barbie for men. You can turn that into almost anything if you're into it. you can even hook two of them up to make a gatling gun out of it!

Attached Files:

18. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    The Marlin's have the micro-groove rifling, and have been shown by many youtuber's to be slightly more accurate. Typically an 18" barrel versus 16" on the Ruger. Marlin makes several models based on the same action, some tube and some mag fed. Sometimes simpler is better...

19. +1 for the marlins and their micro-groove. also if you are looking around at used and happen across an old Glenfield, they are marlins. I have a 1973 Glenfield 75 that'll stack lead in the same hole all day long.;)

20. Rerun

Rerun Member

Because the Marlin uses Micro-Groove technology - a 1:16 twist rate with 16 shallow groove rifling imparts superior accuracy 'right out of the box'.

Other .22 manufacturers use 'traditional rifling' - 2, 4, or 6 deeper grooves.

eldar