inexpensive portable generator

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by herrmannek, Dec 16, 2007.

1. herrmannek

herrmannek Guest

I would like to buy one for emergency use... Biggest constraint is money 150$ is what I can spend most... My question is are those cheap little things worth anything?
    http://allegro.pl/search.php?string...=7&price_from=200&price_to=350&category=16696

I'm okey with the low power they can supply(only for: light, tv , radio, some weak power tools, sinkable pump). I'm curious if they can stand any prolonged use? Usually Whats their real constant output? Whats their service life? Are they easy to repair? I have no experience with generators at all and can't afford brand name product just jet... I hope you guys have some experience with those things... TIA

Oh I created this topic also here
    http://urbanwarrior.freeforums.org/viewtopic.php?p=1338#1338
    Just learned we have a new sister site dedicated to survival and else.. please follow the link, or if you don't like to make another account there reply here, I read both sites...

2. I hear those Honda generators are really good.

3. Since I can't speak Cheqoslavakian (sp) can some one tell me how to translate the page, I know it can be done, I just don't know how.

4. Ridge

Ridge Member

Have you tried searching for the same on ebay? looks like the same format...

5. herrmannek,

The best generators for emergency home use is one with a Honda engine. I know a lot of people with the Honda engine generators and they last for many years when properly maintained.

Most new small engine generators will suffice for short term emergency use, and rarely do people use them for more than a week at a time, except for people who use them in commercial business applications.

6. Ari

Ari Guest

I got something very close to this. the very weird part is that the Honda that is like this. I think is built in the same factory the only difference I can see is the muffler. So I think Honda must be buying some of their stuff on the open market and having their name put on it.... It was half the money of the honda and has worked good for me. I really only wanted something to run my pellet stove.

Sorry I can't take a photo for you right now of mine. But this is very close

[​IMG]

7. Idotusa

Idotusa Member

Copy what you what to read to and past it to an IM then send it to me and I will translate it for you.

8. I think with the generators you get what you pay for. You buy a cheap one and it will light a light and a radio and maybe last a few years.

You buy a very expensive one and it will light your entire house and last for decades.

My brother has one that will be wired into the houses wiring, and runs off of natural gas (piped into the house gas lines).

When he gets it set up, it will start up once a month and check for proper function, and if the electricity goes off, it will start up automatically and run until the electricity starts back up.

It cost 6000 dollars and will cost another 1200 to get it wired up and hooked up into the gas (he has not got that part done yet)

9. neothespian

neothespian Member

The only problem I have with many generators are that they're just not that powerful. Granted I know the idea is "inexpensive", but I'm hardly one to accept defeat by cash.

But, once again, Harbor Freight comes to the rescue. This generator head unit has a 7200 rated/10,000 peak wattage output and is PERFECT for a whole house option. Yes, you do have to supply an external power source, but you can pick up a decent little motor for $150 and you're set!

[​IMG]

And here's the link

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=45416

10. An emergency generator isn't designed or meant to replace domestic service. Its designed to power the essentials only until service is restored. A light, refridgerator, hot plate and radio, thats it.

11. neothespian

neothespian Member

When I see a chance to spend the same amount and get whole house protection, I see it as a smart move.

There's a difference between survival and maximization. One barely gets you by by being prepared for a worst case senario. The other helps ensure the standard of living with minimal impact and maximum enaction of resources.

And other big words!!

12. Idotusa

Idotusa Member

With it being belt- driven you could mount it under the hood of your BOV if you have room to get it under the hood and mount it to the engine. You should be able to find a pulley that mount on your crankshaft that you can run it off of.

13. dirtimdebbie

dirtimdebbie Guest

Don't you love it when you say "I have no money" and everyone replies with "Spend more money!"

I have ben using generator power for a big part of my life.

You have a problem.

These small units normally have no low oil sensor
    They have really small fuel tanks
    They have limited output

This means they will not stand up to continuious use. They were designed to give a burst of power for operating skillsaws, drills and other jobsite equipment. Turn them on, use them for a few minutes and turn them off.

They will not power a house or even keep your deep freeze going for 3-4 days.

Your answer may not be more power, but less use and other power sources.

Consider buying a hi-output inverter and hooking it up to your car/motorcycle. Bolt it under the hood and run an extension cord out to the car. Use the vehicle as a generator without running the botor constantly.

Buy a couple of 12v batteries and keep power stored by using a solar trickle charger. You can recharge with jumper cables to your car or bike in emergency situations. This system will give you the same amount of power output as the small generator, cost less and last longer.

Check into RV technology. Almost everything powered on regular current is available to RV and marine users in 12v form. You can power it straight off the 12v. you can plug into your car and run off the vehicle battery. You can buy 12v appliances at truck stops and marine supply/RV outlets.

Our retreat is set up with grid current and 12v and inverter power 110 off the 12v (and a 5500w generator that we never use). The house was built around this system. There are cigarette lighter sockets in the walls.

We have solar trickle chargers in continuious use and a charge station made from a vehicle alternator and an old lawn mower motor. An hour of run time charges the two batteries. That was the first thing Dad installed and the charger is still going on the same old lawn mower motor he started with 20 years ago.

I was talking to him about this yesterday and he said that in summer of 2003 he went off the grid did not turn on the charger between May and Oct. The solar pannels did all the work for the limited use of 12v lights. One battery fully charged will run the lights and TV for a weekend.

14. herrmannek

herrmannek Guest

"Spend more money" I somehow knew this will be the answer :) I can't afford anything big, even brand name generator is to much.

I'll pass with purchase for that moment. Thanks for the info. carry on...

15. During the hurricanes of 2004-2005 I used an inverter(400 watt) and my truck. Had plenty of power for big screen tv, dvd player and lights. Not powerful enough for air conditioning is the only drawback. But you would need a big generator as well for even the smallest of air conditioning units. And don't even try the air conditioner and refrigerator at the same time. The only problem with the natural gas plumbed system mentioned above is uprooted trees and the gas lines.

16. The big automatic ones also come propane powered, no gas lines to be upset.

I have a portable, it will power my coal stove, fridge, freezer and a few lights while rinning at about 45% capacity. Good enough to keep me going.
    Max usage should be 45-60% of your gens output to run efficiently, the above mentioned items on mine only pull about 2,000 watts so I have an additional 500 watts I can use and still be at only 50% output.

17. Ari

Ari Guest

I guess where you have to start is how you think you are going to use it. The only time I will run one is if the power has gone out and I need heat. I have a pellet stove that this thing runs just fine for hours with very little fuel used. I have no need for it to make light as I have other things for that. I do not care about the TV or the computer. If it is not cold here I do not need anything. But they wont run a power saw, so if you need more output you should get the right tool for the job

18. Space

Space Member

NH
    I got one from VIP Auto for $199. It runs at 1500W with bursts to 2000W (not too sure about that). PepBoys, VIP, Autozone, they all have them.

It's a copy of a honda engine. Parts are supposed to be interchangable according to what I have read. Buffalo tools imports them. It has been fantastic at the cabin for the last couple of years. Runs for 9 hours on a gallon of gas. That's not at full load but 1 - 100w light, 1 - 14" TV with built in DVD player.

[​IMG]

19. That's some serious fuel economy for a 9 hour run on 1 gallon of petrol.... Nice looking generator as well, how quiet is it?

20. You might want to store that propane somewhere else, I'd hate to see a leak in the tank while the generator is running. At least the exhaust is facing the other direction.

...I really need to leave my work at work.