Inexpensive Training at Home with the GAMO P25

Discussion in 'Consumer Reviews' started by lklawson, Mar 23, 2016.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Inexpensive Training at Home with the GAMO P25
    Posted Mar 22nd 2016 | By: Kirk Lawson

It's an absolute rule of any physical skill. If you want to improve, or even just maintain, the skills you have, you must practice regularly. Firearms use is a physical skill just like any other. But everything about firearms is expensive. The gun is expensive with even used and "cheaply made" handguns starting in at $200 with the frequently recommended models starting at around $450 and up. The ammunition is expensive, with "plinking" and "range" ammunition for 9mm Luger costing around $15 per box of 50 cartridges. If you don't have a free range, as most don't, then range time is expensive, often costing over $10 for a half-hour time slot. And if you are patronizing a range which requires you to purchase their in-house ammunition and in-house targets, well, targets are an extra couple of dollars. Even if you already have a handgun as a "sunk cost," simply expending a mere 100 rounds at the range could cost you $50. To achieve and maintain skill requires thousands of rounds of ammunition expended in practice. That adds up fast.

Because of the associated costs, those who wish to build and maintain their skills with firearms are frequently looking for ways to economize and cut costs. They buy ammunition in bulk if they can, and practice with the "cheap range ammunition" saving the more expensive "self defense ammunition" for occasional use, or even reload expended ammunition. They look for free ranges that they can use, often public ranges or private property with permission. They use alternate targets such as pizza boxes, printed sheets of paper, or even DIY their home brew "Shoot and See" targets. They will often use firearms requiring less expensive ammunition, primarily a .22LR chambered alternative, preferably in a similar form factor to the firearm which they wish to practice skills in.

But in the end there is only so much which can be economized. Even cheap ammunition is still expensive.

Further, being able to go to the range is not always easy or convenient. Some people live in a place where they can shoot on their own property, literally shoot from their back porch. However, most are not so fortunate. Several hours of personal time must be blocked out and a drive to the range, hopefully close by but not necessarily so, must be undertaken. This, of course, includes packing up all the required range gear, safety gear, firearms, ammunition, etc., and then "pack muling" it along. There are certainly worse things, but it can become inconvenient, particularly if there is a bit of a hike from the parking area to the range or if the weather is inclement.

It would be nice to practice inexpensively in the comfort of your own home. Enter the GAMO P25 Blowback CO2 Pellet Pistol.

Read Full Article Here:
    http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Inexpensive-Training-at-Home-with-the-GAMO-P25.html

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. I clicked your link, and was told I do not have sufficient privileges. anyone else with this problem?

3. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Yep, me too.

4. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Mea culpa. I put in the wrong link. Should be fixed now.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Many of the pictures still don't work for me. But, today I'm behind a filter, so the problem may be on my side.

6. Im in now, still missing some of the pictures.

I think it would be a lot of fun, for someone who cant shoot in there back yard.

I cant get over the $100 price though, and what is the price of the Co2 cartridges for a 200 rd session?

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Depending on how many you buy at once, they can be less than a 50 cents each. One cartridge will typically power around 100 rounds for me. 500 count pellets are under $7.

Depending on what you buy and in what quantity, each round downrange costs about $0.02 (two cents) or less.

Even compared against bulk .22LR, and not including range fees and travel expenses, you hit payback on the pellet pistol DARN FAST.

On the other hand, as a training tool, it has limitations and actual range time will still be needed. Just less. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk