Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
My inexpensive utility rifles would be the $60-$80 Marlin model 60. The $100 Argentine Mauser in 7.62x39. And the $150 SKS. And the $179 Saiga AK, still not converted to be a "real" civilian AK. Or maybe the $89 Mosin 91/30, the $150 Mosin M44, or the $125 sporterized Enfield No1 MkIII*.

I don't know, it's so hard to decide.
All sound like good choices...exactly what I was curious about when I started the thread

·
Registered
69 Posts
My inexpensive utility rifles would be the $60-$80 Marlin model 60. The $100 Argentine Mauser in 7.62x39. And the $150 SKS. And the $179 Saiga AK, still not converted to be a "real" civilian AK. Or maybe the $89 Mosin 91/30, the $150 Mosin M44, or the $125 sporterized Enfield No1 MkIII*.

762x39 mauser would be the shiznit.

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts

I haven't seen those prices around here for almost a decade.

·
Premium Member
35,568 Posts
I’ve had some of them for about a decade, so that makes sense.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
That's a silly internet meme of an idea.

If the naughty black rifles are that serious of a problem....who is going to be carrying them for you to shoot and pick one up? The guys in the government? Your 22 may need to shoot more than once if you attack them.

And what stops the guy with the naughty black rifle, or his buddies, from shooting you in the face from 300 yards away, while you're trying to figure out how many feet of holdover that is for your .22?
That's my point: It's not the Black Rifles fault. It's a inanimate object. The Govt will always be better armed than the citizens...regrettably. I trust a Citizen with a M4 over a Govt Employee with a BB Gun.

I'm not talking about attacking any Govt Agents. That was not my point. I was referring to "Battle Field Pick Up".

·
Premium Member
35,568 Posts
I'm not talking about attacking any Govt Agents. That was not my point. I was referring to "Battle Field Pick Up".
While carrying/using a .22. Got it. Still silly.

·
Premium Member
35,568 Posts
No, I am not talking about attacking anyone, at any time...regardless of the weapon system that you are carrying.
Oh.

So when you said "They work, are simple and if need be....only need to work ONCE so, you can get that "black rifle.", you were not actually saying you'd USE the .22 to attack someone to get their rifle. OK.

I guess you were going to use it to get the rabid squirrel off the barrel? Or you really do think your .22 will serve as adequate defense against someone using a black rifle to attack you?

Or....As I said....silly internet meme.;)

·
Premium Member
8,430 Posts
An inexpensive, utilitarian rifle....
This hits that requirement right on the noggin...
A vintage Glenfield Marlin Model 25.
It's a sweet little bolt action .22 that is dead nuts accurate.
I bought a Marlin Model 25 back in 1995 from a pawn shop for $40.
It had a lot of surface rust and dents in the furniture.
I redid the stock, steaming out the dents, and refinishing the stock.
Products from Brownells took care of the rust and rebluing.
Gave it a great cleaning.
I use to teach up and coming shooters the basics of marksmanship with it.
Everyone enjoyed it's accuracy.

Sold it during the gun purge of 2016.
Along with many firearms.

One day, I'll own another.

eldar

·
I Stand With Talon
6,439 Posts
Oh.

So when you said "They work, are simple and if need be....only need to work ONCE so, you can get that "black rifle.", you were not actually saying you'd USE the .22 to attack someone to get their rifle. OK.

I guess you were going to use it to get the rabid squirrel off the barrel? Or you really do think your .22 will serve as adequate defense against someone using a black rifle to attack you?

He said "They work, are simple and if need be....only need to work ONCE so, you can get that "black rifle." He didn't say "They work, are simple and if need be....only need to work ONCE so, I can get that "black rifle."

LOL

·
Registered
187 Posts
I bought a Marlin Model 25 back in 1995 from a pawn shop for $40.
It had a lot of surface rust and dents in the furniture.
I redid the stock, steaming out the dents, and refinishing the stock.
Products from Brownells took care of the rust and rebluing.
Gave it a great cleaning.
I use to teach up and coming shooters the basics of marksmanship with it.
Everyone enjoyed it's accuracy.

Sold it during the gun purge of 2016.
Along with many firearms.

One day, I'll own another.

eldar
I still have my Marlin 25, 22WMR with scope, it was pristine with very little use when I got it from an older gentleman who took very good care of it.
Love that rifle !!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Speaking of rifles, I have a Beretta CX-4 Storm carbine, that blew up the trigger group on me.

My buddy and I (He also owns a CX-4 carbine) were plinking the metal plates to see who can knock them down faster, so we were rapid firing.
I was using the German made Geco ammo, the first mag went well, but half way into the second, I got a big bang, big flash, and my hand and the magazine were pushed down violently.(scared the shit out of me, because I wasn't expecting that)
After removing some small plastic pieces from my hand, I checked the damage, and saw the complete trigger assembly was blown off (I should note that all the internals in this carbine are made out of plastic) also the plastic recoil rod was broken. Upon checking of the spent shell, it showed it was fired out of battery. (later on, I found out several people had the same problem with this carbine)
Called Beretta, and they said they will charge me $100 just to check it, and see if they will fix it, if not, I had to send them $45 to ship it back to me, (all of this with a gun that was still under the 1 year warranty).
Then somebody suggested to look into a Sierra-Papa, a company that makes a beautiful billet aluminum trigger group, specifically for the Storm.
Well, the part was awesome, BUT, if you choose that trigger group, you HAVE to use their hammer, and if you use their hammer you HAVE to use their spring kit, and if you pay by credit card a 3% increase will be added to your final price.
So, at the end, getting the replacement parts from Sierra-Papa will cost more, than buying a brand new Ruger PC Carbine !!!(which in my opinion, is far superior than the CX-4).
Anyway, the carbine is sitting inside its hard case, frame, barrel, bolt, magazines, everything is in great shape, and with less than a year of use.

If somebody wants to play with it, make me an offer.

·
Premium Member
35,568 Posts
All the 1891 Argentine Mausers I ever shot were 7.65x53, they were heavy, very accurate and kicked like a mad mule !!
This one was rebarreled by a local mad genius type. He did good work, but did odd things. Like threading the outside of a barrel on a break action single, adding 12" of barrel using a nut on the outside of both barrel parts, then putting an old occluded eye red dot on it, to win turkey shoots.
Or rebarreling an Argy Mauser with a short thick green barrel and chambering it for 7.62X39, then putting solid iron sights on it. Tight muzzle!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Speaking of rifles, I have a Beretta CX-4 Storm carbine, that blew up the trigger group on me.

My buddy and I (He also owns a CX-4 carbine) were plinking the metal plates to see who can knock them down faster, so we were rapid firing.
I was using the German made Geco ammo, the first mag went well, but half way into the second, I got a big bang, big flash, and my hand and the magazine were pushed down violently.(scared the shit out of me, because I wasn't expecting that)
After removing some small plastic pieces from my hand, I checked the damage, and saw the complete trigger assembly was blown off (I should note that all the internals in this carbine are made out of plastic) also the plastic recoil rod was broken. Upon checking of the spent shell, it showed it was fired out of battery. (later on, I found out several people had the same problem with this carbine)
Called Beretta, and they said they will charge me $100 just to check it, and see if they will fix it, if not, I had to send them $45 to ship it back to me, (all of this with a gun that was still under the 1 year warranty).
Then somebody suggested to look into a Sierra-Papa, a company that makes a beautiful billet aluminum trigger group, specifically for the Storm.
Well, the part was awesome, BUT, if you choose that trigger group, you HAVE to use their hammer, and if you use their hammer you HAVE to use their spring kit, and if you pay by credit card a 3% increase will be added to your final price.
So, at the end, getting the replacement parts from Sierra-Papa will cost more, than buying a brand new Ruger PC Carbine !!!(which in my opinion, is far superior than the CX-4).
Anyway, the carbine is sitting inside its hard case, frame, barrel, bolt, magazines, everything is in great shape, and with less than a year of use.

Good to know , iv been lookin fir one of those fir years that was decently priced.

·
Registered
187 Posts
This one was rebarreled by a local mad genius type. He did good work, but did odd things. Like threading the outside of a barrel on a break action single, adding 12" of barrel using a nut on the outside of both barrel parts, then putting an old occluded eye red dot on it, to win turkey shoots.
Or rebarreling an Argy Mauser with a short thick green barrel and chambering it for 7.62X39, then putting solid iron sights on it. Tight muzzle!
Yeah, I used to know a mad gunsmith who used to make Obrez out of Mosin Nagants, and believe it or not, they were pretty accurate, but not the kind of gun you want to shoot more than once a month !! :shooting:

a6c4007f89425320dc8df30047c396a4--google-search-list.jpg

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yeah, I used to know a mad gunsmith who used to make Obrez out of Mosin Nagants, and believe it or not, they were pretty accurate, but not the kind of gun you want to shoot more than once a month !! :shooting:

View attachment 70963

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,976 Posts
Just for the record, those aren't Mosins in the pic.

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Oh.

I was more speaking of a SHTF Situation where you did need to do that. A situation where there was a break down of society and the rule of law. I've seen it in practice. Not here (obviously) but over seas. I've been in the Balkans a few times (Bosnia/Kosovo). Earlier in my career, I worked with the Kosovo Liberation Army. I have seen it in practice.

I have seen: I have a M48 Mauser..bang, now I have a Yugo SKS...bang, now I have a AK. I actually own a few SKSs from the area that have many peoples names carved into the wood (that's how they proved ownership and the multiple names meant that it has changed hands), have CCCC on one side and the Serbian Double Eagle, then on the other side the Albanian Shqiptare, UCK/KLA or something like that.

In reality. I would totally kill an enemy and upgrade on the battle field. Not arbitrarily attack someone (during a time of "peace") for their rifle.

Do I think that a .22 rifle would be adequate against a person armed with a "black rifle"? Yes, it's not the weapon. It is your ability and willingness to take a persons life. Am I saying a Team/Squad/Platoon 10/22 charge against a element armed with AK/M4/FNFAL etc? No. But a single shot, bolt action rifle, properly and tactically employed could do it. You'd have to be quiet, accurate and behind some cover/concealment and CLOSE. There would be no room for mistakes. You can kill a bear with a .22, you can kill a enemy.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.php?threads/man-kills-400lb-bear-with-a-22.139506/

There are other examples where it has worked. Yes, the animal ran off. The animal was also 400 pounds. A jog up the steps would kill a 400 pound man. A .22, properly applied to a man, will too.

·
Premium Member
21,073 Posts

Buy an Extar9.

Reactions: Rabidwookie
61 - 80 of 123 Posts