Info about marlin 22lr.

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by SURVIVALBUD, Oct 29, 2015.

1. HOWDY YAW, today i had gone to pay on my layaway for my 4595.
    I had seen on the wall a 1964 marlin 39 century ltd 22lr lever action
    with a octagon 24" barrel in like new cond.
    They were selling it for $400.00

Is this price good, I know that I can get the price down..
    Is the marlin 39 good and shoots good??
    Let me know what you think about this marlin 39.. thanks
    it doesn't have a scope on it..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  2. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

You sure it was a Model 39 Century LTD?
    That model was only made with a 20" octagon barrel and was only manufactured in 1970. It is pretty distinctive as it has a name plate in the butt.

Attached Files:

3. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Survival, I'm no expert by any means, but I checked Gunbroker just now. There are six Marlin 39's from various years selling from $551 to $1,895. The one selling for $1,895 dates from the 1920's or early '30's, according to its description. A 1964 model? It would seem to depend on collector demand for that year. Can anyone shed some light?

4. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

Survival, if I may, I'd like to add that if you're new to Marlins and want an outstanding 22 rifle, just a great overall shooter, you might consider the 795 semiauto. My 795 feeds bulk 22 of any kind. You will need to disassemble and polish the feed ramp when new.

5. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Before anyone can give him a true value we need to know exactly what it is. ;)

There are numerous models of the Marlin 39, some made for 1 year only and others made for a lot of years. Once we get an exact model the value range can be determined.

6. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    If you are interested in a 22 lever action rifle, check out Henry, You can get a new Henry 22LR lever action rifle for around $300 or less if you do the leg work.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    You bunch of numbnuts!:mad:

It's a Marlin 39A, it doesn't matter what year or type...$400 for a functioning 39A in decent condition is good, and in good condition, it is a great price.

Seriously!:mad:

Buy it, you can't touch anything close to its quality in a lever gun for under $500. All steel, Marlin accuracy, full sized...it's a great gun. Buy it and then figure out what it really is, you won't be disappointed.

8. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

I have a Marlin 60 semi-auto and a Marlin 25MN bolt action but I chose a Henry for my lever action. Accurate, lifetime warranty and walnut stock for under $300 at Walmart.

9. Dane

Dane Supporting Member

Florida
    They get a Goldenboy every once in a while at the supercenter not far from me. I think it runs about $100 lower than Dicks, etc. They need to stop that temptation!! :D

10. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    The Henry is nice enough, and in modern guns is a good price...but it's still not as good as a Marlin 39A.;)

11. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Holy Crap! a Hipoint purest. :rofl:

When that Marlin was made, there was no modern Henry rifle. Your comparing apples to oranges. I'm not sure you can say that same thing about today's Marlin 22 rifles.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well...no.

I'm NOT comparing it to today's Marlin rifles...that's the EXACT point I'm making.

I'm comparing an all steel, high quality, tight tolerance, accurate gun made by the ACTUAL Marlin folks before Remarlimaster took over, with a modern brass actioned replica using MIM and cast parts to reach a lower price point.

Which is what YOU suggested we do, by putting the new Henry up as an option to replace the Marlin.

The Henry is a good rifle, nothing wrong with it; and its the best priced lever action .22 being made right now, so if one were looking for a new lever gun, it's a good way to go.

But the Marlin is a GREAT rifle, and even used, at $400 it's a FAR better deal than a new Henry, if you want the best lever gun for your dollar.

13. osbornk

osbornk Hillbilly on a motorcycle Member

Help me understand. You would rather pay considerably more money for an old Marlin 39A with an unknown history of how many shots it has had and how it was treated and maintained than to have a new Henry that only you will have shot and maintained with a lifetime warranty? I think my Henry will still be shooting when my grandchildren have grandchildren. You will have to pay for worn or broken parts for a Marlin and Henry will take care of mine. If you check on their CS, you will find that it is top notch and liberal with their decisions.

14. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

I have bought (and sold) many Marlin .22's over the past four and one half decades and have never been dissatisfied with any of those purchases.

They are more accurate out-of-the-box than many, if not most, .22 firearms produced by American manufacturers, past -current-or conceivable future due to the Micro Grooving rifling introduced in the 1950's.

This is why an older Marlin is better to own than a newer Henry.

I have also bought (and sold) Henry lever action rifles since the middle 1990's. I own a Henry AR-7 and love it unto death.

Doesn't change what ajole has noted about Marlins.

eldar

15. Thanks for all the info about the marlin 39.
    I am try to figure out if I want to trade my ruger 1022 22lr
    for the marlin 39 22lr. The marlin shoots 22shorts,22longs and 22lr.
    The ruger 1022 only shoots 22lr.

I would have to pay about $200.00 more to trade..
    What do you guys/gals think about this trade??..
    note- the rifle doesn't have a scope on it..

Attached Files:

16. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Tough Choice ;)

Try ad get the Marlin on Lay-a-way too :D

17. I'm with undeRGRound, keep the 10/22 and do lay-a-way if you can. If 22's aren't your thing and you want to get rid of the 10/22 sell it to me. I'll give you $200 plus $25 to ship to my LGS in a heartbeat.

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Well, first off, it's NOT "considerably more", it's about 30% more, for a gun that's worth 50% more, minimum. If the Marlin were $500, I'd say the Henry is a better deal. But it's not.

Secondly...it's a .22, which the OP says is in good shape. .22's don't really get that badly abused, the barrels don't really get shot out as much as folks think, and chances are, a tube fed 39A wasn't used up or abused, they tend to be taken care of.

So...Yes. Yes, I would. Without a doubt.
    And until you pick one up and shoot it, you won't understand.

But I'll try to explain.

The Marlin will be worth more in 5 years. The Henry won't. In fact, the gun in question could be bought and sold in a week, at a profit.

The Marlin is, actually, made better, with better materials, which will outlast that new Henry despite having a 40 year head start.

The Marlin is able to mount aperture sights, and real scope mounts, using screws, not the silly 3/8 dovetail grooves the Henry has.

The Marlin (usually) has a longer barrel. Better accuracy, better follow through in field shooting.

The Marlin is a Takedown system, making cleaning easy..Henry isn't.

I think you have too much faith in aluminum alloy and/or brass.
    But I KNOW my Marlin will still be shooting.

Yes, Henry is great in CS, no argument there.
    But the Marlin won't need any CS, beyond replacing an ejector or firing pin once a century.;)

I'm not bad mouthing Henry...though my Henry AR-7 isn't really all that good.
    They are an excellent company, they make a good lever action rifle in various models and calibers, at a decent price. If I wanted a new lever action gun, they are the one to get.

But the Marlin...it's GREAT. If you can get a 39A for under $500, you should do it, even if it's just for the investment.

[​IMG]

19. Kiln

Kiln Member

Whatever you do, just don't buy one of those "tactical" lever actions. I'm a big fan of changes to help with function but this is an abomination!

Attached Files:

20. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Someone on the local FB site was trying to sell one..... Hideous.